Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already started posting, but will leave an introduction here as well.
I did not want a new car. My previous ride was a 2006 Toyota Matrix, manual transmission with 240K miles. And I love that car. (I still have it, it's not worth the trade in, and my son will hopefully get another 5 years/60K miles out of it)
But my wife made a fair point that I travel 70 miles a day for work, and would be stranded if and when it finally breaks down, and would then be pressured into quickly buying a car. That, and she mentioned how her friend's husband had a car he could remote start on his phone. That was really the hook she caught me with, and that became the basis for my car search. I'm a geek, and I like the tech gadgets.
It ended up being a tie between the Nissan Rogue and the Insight (the Rogue has smartphone integration with Alexa/Google, and that was really tempting). But cost ended up being the final factor, and the Insight's a good 6K cheaper. Plus 50mpg vs 30mpg is kind of a no brainer. (And the Nissan sales person sat with me for the test drive, so I have no idea how it really drove, whereas the Honda dealer just let me have the car for a few hours)
Next up was my color choice. Dealers in my area (NH/MA) only had grey, black, white and Cosmic blue. I wasn't in love with any of the colors and was going to get Cosmic Blue, until I saw an online photo of the Crimson Pearl, and liked it much better than the Honda website car builder image color. So my search went out for a Crimson Insight Touring.
After having been quoted up to $1500 extra at local dealers for a locate on the Crimson, I looked online and found some out of state. Contacted the closest dealer (near Albany, NY) on Presidents day for a quote, and was at the bank when they opened the next day to pick up the cashiers check and at 2PM I had my Crimson Insight Touring.

And then two days later the dealer called to ask us if they could send a driver (200 mile/3 hour one-way trip) to come to our house so we can sign the back of the cashiers check as they had forgotten to have us do that. (And when the guy came by a few days later he showed up in a rental F250. So there went a good chunk of their profits)

But I have my car, and I'm happy. It's a totally different style of driving. I'm a swift driver (I don't speed, but I like to get to the speed limit swiftly). And in the Matrix with no TCS, VSC, or anything and manual transmission, it's just raw power to the wheels, and it's fun going around the corners and just having the tires on the edge of skidding. The Insight is not that. But it's a damn sight more comfortable, and a very enjoyable to ride. And I like indulging in Sport mode once in a while to see how far I can push this car through corners. (And ACC in highway rush hour traffic to work is godsend as well).

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Thanks for the introduction message! Is it correct to assume you picked up a 2020 model? Some dealers still have 2019 models (though that is dwindling).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the introduction message! Is it correct to assume you picked up a 2020 model? Some dealers still have 2019 models (though that is dwindling).
Yes. I did not see any 2019 models. I had been searching online for a week for Crimson Tourings, and this one showed up the Sunday before presidents day. Dealer confirmed it literally came off the truck before the weekend and I drove off with it on Tuesday. No test drives, and 3 miles on the odometer.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
The Insight has a nice balance of safety features, fuel economy, tech, and amenities for a decent price. Great choice for those that haven't upgraded to a new car in the last decade.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think i had a pager when I bought my old Civic. Technology marches on. :)
That Matrix is the longest I've ever owned a car. Of course it was also the first car I bought new. All cars before that had been near or past the last quarter of their life. (Not counting the one year I had a company car for a consulting job. And that was also when I carried.. A pager (This would have been around '95 or so))

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pager was before my time. I think it's like a portable voicemail machine... :unsure::whistle:
Hah! Voicemail, I wish.
Mine was one of the cheap ones. It just had a single digit display and showed a number between 1 and 4. And all numbers just basically meant get off the highway, find a phone booth and call the office.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new wheels! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts