Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking the 2021 model year is the Insight's mid-gen refresh. Honda took away the gray parts of the EX wheels and replaced it with black along with adding the blindspot monitor. The reason I say this is because the current gen Accord came out during 2018(same as 3rd gen Insight) and Honda confirmed the 2021 Accord will get a mid-gen refresh. 4th gen Insight if it does happen will show up for the 2024 model year in 2023 along with the next gen Accord. :unsure:

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I'm thinking the 2021 model year is the Insight's mid-gen refresh. Honda took away the gray parts of the EX wheels and replaced it with black along with adding the blindspot monitor. The reason I say this is because the current gen Accord came out during 2018(same as 3rd gen Insight) and Honda confirmed the 2021 Accord will get a mid-gen refresh. 4th gen Insight if it does happen will show up for the 2024 model year in 2023 along with the next gen Accord. :unsure:
Yes, agree - especially with the software update and physical ehanges (blind spot monitoring vs LaneWatch), I've thought the 2021 model is the mid-cycle refresh... and it sounds like you've come around to this conclusion as well. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, agree - especially with the software update and physical ehanges (blind spot monitoring vs LaneWatch), I've thought the 2021 model is the mid-cycle refresh... and it sounds like you've come around to this conclusion as well. ;)
I didn't want to think this was a mid-gen refresh because I was hoping for the Japanese Insight. 😭

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
There's a chance the 2021 model year is not the mid-gen refresh! 😮

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Kind of depends on how AutoNews is listing the years. Honda's model year (2021) tends to be numbered ahead of the calendar year (2020). If the table above is based on model year, it would 'confirm' the 2021 Insight is the refresh.

The wording of the article suggests the list is based on model year, since the "freshen in 2021" description exactly matches the 2021 Insight as we know it, down to the new Radiant Red exterior color. The article is written in future tense, but the listed updates for the 2021 Insight were already released earlier this year in Mar 2020:

"...updates coming in 2021 are minimal. [...] EX and Touring trims will get blind-spot monitoring, which replaces the awkward “Lanewatch” system [...]. A cross-traffic monitor is new and standard on EX and Touring trims, and there’s a new red metallic exterior color."

Will also be interesting to see if Honda deviates from its expected refresh/launch pattern post-pandemic, given slower sales.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The chart is going by year of reveal not model year based on the articles I’ve read for the other Honda vehicles like Civic and Accord.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
The chart is going by year of reveal not model year based on the articles I’ve read for the other Honda vehicles like Civic and Accord.
It seems a litlte off for the Insight though, given the description they wrote is under the header "Freshen in 2021" which matches the mention in table and exactly reveals what was released earlier this year on the 2021 Insight.

The Mar/Apr 2020 release date for the 2021 Insight was earlier than we expected (versus release in Jun/Jul for prior model years). I interpret the combined data (plus software update) as pointing to 2021 being the mid-cycle refresh. But time will tell... :)

·
Registered
11 Posts

View attachment 5646
But the tabular column for 2021 shows "Freshen in 2021" so I believe it's midcycle freshen and also they had added 2 new key features in this year model compare to 2020.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts