Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I live in the upstate new York area where we have many months below freezing. My daily drive is 37 miles one way ascending and descending multiple hills along the way. I am not sure of the grade of the hills but they mostly climb for 1/2-1 mile and descend the same. This drive is very rewarding for manual transmission cars. No stop and go traffic and mostly 55 posted speed. Cruising below 60mph will not happen. Is this the right drive for an insight or accord hybrid? Obviously the downhill is a great Regen oportunity, but at what hills too high load?
Many thanks!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Greetings, I live in the upstate new York area where we have many months below freezing. My daily drive is 37 miles one way ascending and descending multiple hills along the way. I am not sure of the grade of the hills but they mostly climb for 1/2-1 mile and descend the same. This drive is very rewarding for manual transmission cars. No stop and go traffic and mostly 55 posted speed. Cruising below 60mph will not happen. Is this the right drive for an insight or accord hybrid? Obviously the downhill is a great Regen oportunity, but at what hills too high load?
Many thanks!
No. The accelerator feels so disconnected from the car. As you find this drive rewarding with a manual, you will very sorely miss that in the Insight. More so since this is a serial hybrid and not to mention the pedal response is very laggy. The engine response and sound at times has little relationship to what the car is doing... That really throws you off.

I feel the Insight is even more disconnected than the Prius (at least the 3rd). Try that drive with the Prius and if that's acceptable, then maybe the Insight will suffice, but my gut intuition is no.

I stayed on this cabin on top of a 6000 ft mountain. The drive was epic was my Model 3 complete with triple switch backs. My friend visited me with his CRV hybrid which is the same powertrain as the Accord hybrid. Their car really struggled. "Huffing and puffing" was their words. I sent my coworker up that mountain too with his S2000. He too thought the drive was epic.

Most cheaper hybrids are built for fuel economy and not for spirited driving. Performance oriented hybrids on the other hand are built to fill the short comings of both types of powertrains. High torque from standstill with the electric motor and top end with the ICE. But that's another class of vehicle.. like 3 series hybrid, i8, Polestar 1, A5 TFSi-E, gen 2 NSX, etc etc. That's not the Insight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. The accelerator feels so disconnected from the car. As you find this drive rewarding with a manual, you will very sorely miss that in the Insight. More so since this is a serial hybrid and not to mention the pedal response is very laggy. The engine response and sound at times has little relationship to what the car is doing... That really throws you off.

I feel the Insight is even more disconnected than the Prius (at least the 3rd). Try that drive with the Prius and if that's acceptable, then maybe the Insight will suffice, but my gut intuition is no.

I stayed on this cabin on top of a 6000 ft mountain. The drive was epic was my Model 3 complete with triple switch backs. My friend visited me with his CRV hybrid which is the same powertrain as the Accord hybrid. Their car really struggled. "Huffing and puffing" was their words. I sent my coworker up that mountain too with his S2000. He too thought the drive was epic.

Most cheaper hybrids are built for fuel economy and not for spirited driving. Performance oriented hybrids on the other hand are built to fill the short comings of both types of powertrains. High torque from standstill with the electric motor and top end with the ICE. But that's another class of vehicle.. like 3 series hybrid, i8, Polestar 1, A5 TFSi-E, gen 2 NSX, etc etc. That's not the Insight.
Thankyou for your observations! Is the unresponsive throttle simply the audio of the engine not matching position or is it actually thrust? Additionally what do you think of the efficiency of the car in this environment?

·
Registered
85 Posts
The engine speed is mostly decoupled from your accelerator positioning. If it senses it needs additional recharging while going up a hill, the engine will rev up as if the clutch were slipping to an absurd degree - and it's especially bad on hills. As someone who has driven manuals my entire life, hybrids can be engaging to drive in a different way. The "fun" comes from trying to get a high score on gas mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engine speed is mostly decoupled from your accelerator positioning. If it senses it needs additional recharging while going up a hill, the engine will rev up as if the clutch were slipping to an absurd degree - and it's especially bad on hills. As someone who has driven manuals my entire life, hybrids can be engaging to drive in a different way. The "fun" comes from trying to get a high score on gas mileage.
I have no driving experience with them yet but this is what research has made me understand. What do you guys guess in terms of efficiency? It seems that hybrids shine in low to medium load situations. Strictly in terms of efficiency do you think the series hybrid system will be well suited to an environment where it is at high load for 1-2 minutes uphill?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Just an observation, any car will feel disconnected after driving a full powerful electric car like a Tesla. But honestly - after driving different vehicles for over 30 years, the Insight is a GREAT car.. You can't compare apples to oranges and say one is better than the other because x doesn't do what y does as well. I have over 76,000 miles on my 2019 and have driven in mountains and had no issues at all. Compare that with my 2015 Honda Civic - it lost all its power in the mountains - the Insight retained all it's torque and never left me feeling like it was not going to be able to take off from a dead stop on a steep grade.. If you could compare that to a real CVT you would agree.. The Civic made me feel like I was going to burn out the transmission before I was going 10mph.. That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Oh yeah, the Insight is a series/parallel hybrid.. In series mode - the generator to motor efficiency is above 95 percent, much like an automatic transmission. Also one correction to note, the Insight is a series/parallel hybrid.
Source below

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts
What do you guys guess in terms of efficiency?
I'm a low mileage driver through 3 New England Winters and my average tank is never below 40mpg. 37 miles is a good distance to make up the deficit at the beginning of the trip where your engine/battery is warming up even in below freezing temps. I would assume you would get 42-45mpg at least with your commute if you cruise at 65mph and adjust the heater accordingly. Highly recommend a test drive of both vehicles to get a feel for them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a low mileage driver through 3 New England Winters and my average tank is never below 40mpg. 37 miles is a good distance to make up the deficit at the beginning of the trip where your engine/battery is warming up even in below freezing temps. I would assume you would get 42-45mpg at least with your commute if you cruise at 65mph and adjust the heater accordingly. Highly recommend a test drive of both vehicles to get a feel for them.
Perfect, just the information I was looking for. Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts
Perfect, just the information I was looking for. Many thanks
We also have a thread where we share our Winter driving results. Worth the read if you have time to spare. 🙂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts