Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 2019/2020 Honda Insight NFC-compatible? I read this article about the 2018 Accord being NFC-compatible. The reason I'm asking is because the public beta of IOS 13.4 has a new "Carkey" feature which will be able to unlock NFC-compatible cars.

I really hope so because that would mean that I wouldn't have to carry the key fob, right?

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
I don't think the Insight has near field communication; we'd have an "N" logo/symbol and I haven't seen it anywhere on the passenger side dash (where it's typically located on other cars).

I guess per this article, your iPhone on iOS 13.4 and NFC spot would make it possible to use the iPhone as a car key and other features... but it seems like a hackers paradise and it would feel weird to me to not have a key around - https://9to5mac.com/2020/02/05/new-carkey-feature-in-ios-13-4-beta-brings-built-in-support-for-unlocking-driving-and-sharing-nfc-car-keys/

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,063 Posts
Not sure how it would work, but if I need to fumble with an app, it's not worth it. I have my fob clipped to a belt loop with a small carabiner. I don't even know it's there.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Not sure how it would work, but if I need to fumble with an app, it's not worth it. I have my fob clipped to a belt loop with a small carabiner. I don't even know it's there.
It looks like you just hold your iPhone (or Apple Watch) nearby, after the initial NFC pairing. It's been available for Android phones on some cars (e.g. Hyundai) but the 'big' news is new compatibility with Apple iOS.

The capability allows unlocking keyless entry cars and starting the car, even if the device runs out of battery. Authentication isn't required (e.g. no FaceID) and the key could be shared remotely by giving access to another person without physically having to hand over keys.

https://youtu.be/j4FB6St0U0A?t=18

1 - 4 of 4 Posts