Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a Bug in the new Body Control Module update?

I just put up a video of a new issue I am having that I think may be related to the new BCM update. I recently experienced the failure of my auto-brights system. It would fail to work in a dark environment unless I stop and restart the car. This would happen at night after I left from work to go home. So far this has happened 2 nights in a row. Wiping the windshield off in the area the unit is at did no good. Only a restart would fix the problem. This of course works with the idea that I am correct at where the Auto-Bright sensor is.

Before the BCM update the only other problem I had ever had with Auto-Brights was them getting stuck in bright mode every now and then. Turning the auto-bright system off and on again would fix this. If anyone else experiences this please comment here and/or on the video. Thanks.

·
Administrator
4,709 Posts
Wiping the windshield off in the area the unit is at did no good. Only a restart would fix the problem. This of course works with the idea that I am correct at where the Auto-Bright sensor is.
You have the right location for the light sensor on the Touring trim (upper center windshield); I think it's laser-based, from prior reading on the GenX Civic. For the LX/EX trim, the light sensor is placed in different location (bottom center windshield) and is a round plastic dome-shaped thing. (OM19 pg 194)

I haven't had the BCM Update done yet and am not an "auto-high beam" user, so don't have any perspective. But given the sensor physical and placement differences, it will be interesting to hear from responses if what you observed only affects Touring owners, or also affects LX/EX owners after BCM Software Update.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,470 Posts
Auto-lights should not be confused with auto-brights. The sensor location between Touring and LX/EX are camera-based for auto-bights, where headlight auto-on is derived from the ambient sensors mentioned by @insightfully.

Normally, a quick pull-back on the stalk toggles the auto-bights setting to auto/manual. @Verdier - is that not working either? I have not had a single issue with mine, but I'm rollin' in an EX.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing this issue after the update? I haven't had any issues mentioned in the recall, so I am hesitant to have the recall done. I'm sure I am going to be forced to do it if I take my car in for the oil change coming up soon.. I have heard on the facebook group that someone is even experiencing issues where the doors don't appear to be closed to the system when they are. At the same time, I want to get the update because Verdier says that his cruise control seems to be working a lot better now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My experience with "software updates" over the years can best be described like such...

... update Windows or some random app on your phone, how often does one of their updates break something else? I am not saying this update is bad, but there is no reason to rush into it. Let others be the victims. :p

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Auto-lights should not be confused with auto-brights. The sensor location between Touring and LX/EX are camera-based for auto-bights, where headlight auto-on is derived from the ambient sensors mentioned by @insightfully.

Normally, a quick pull-back on the stalk toggles the auto-bights setting to auto/manual. @Verdier - is that not working either? I have not had a single issue with mine, but I'm rollin' in an EX.
The auto brights system just refuses to work until I actively restart the car a second time. Turning the system off and on again and/or wiping the windscreen doesn't solve the problem. Maybe the sensor is dying, but since stopping the car and turning the whole car off then on again fixes it for the duration leads me to believe it's software based.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is anyone else experiencing this issue after the update? I haven't had any issues mentioned in the recall, so I am hesitant to have the recall done. I'm sure I am going to be forced to do it if I take my car in for the oil change coming up soon.. I have heard on the facebook group that someone is even experiencing issues where the doors don't appear to be closed to the system when they are. At the same time, I want to get the update because Verdier says that his cruise control seems to be working a lot better now.
OMG! Did no one get the joke? Please view the video again. Please. The radio does NOT crash less often, The radar does NOT see cars better, I am not going to become the ambassador to Israel, and I haven't found a pill that will make my HooHoo bigger. I thought the joke was obvious. I think I'll have to make another video explaining it was a joke. I thought Leslie Nielsen in the bottom corner growing a Pinochio nose would work. Sorry for the confusion. 🤪

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My experience with "software updates" over the years can best be described like such...

... update Windows or some random app on your phone, how often does one of their updates break something else? I am not saying this update is bad, but there is no reason to rush into it. Let others be the victims. :p
Are you victim blaming me?! ;) ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
No, I am just saying thank you for taking the bullet and finding all the bugs, reporting them to Honda to get fixed, and in three or four years when they actually do I can get this upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
1,470 Posts
BCM recall was done today (along with fuel pump recall). I swear my Insight is quieter than is was before the recall. Probably not, but one can dream.

@Verdier - auto-brights work the same as they did pre-recall in my EX.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BCM recall was done today (along with fuel pump recall). I swear my Insight is quieter than is was before the recall. Probably not, but one can dream.

@Verdier - auto-brights work the same as they did pre-recall in my EX.
I was under the impression that auto-brites were only on the touring model. Did I forget the facts again? Either way my dealer is going to re-do the update to see if it helps with the problem.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was under the impression that auto-brites were only on the touring model. Did I forget the facts again? Either way my dealer is going to re-do the update to see if it helps with the problem.
No, the autobrights are in all trim levels.

·
Super Moderator
1,470 Posts
Even us lowly lower-trim owners get auto-brights.

I'll say this - the Insight is the first car that I've ever owned that I can reboot! @Verdier - I hope your re-flash goes smoothly.

Reactions: Mobilcams

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even us lowly lower-trim owners get auto-brights.

I'll say this - the Insight is the first car that I've ever owned that I can reboot! @Verdier - I hope your re-flash goes smoothly.
Yeah I hope it helps. To make matters worse everything worked fine on the 3rd night on a single start. I'm a little sick of these esoteric problems that don't happen when I go to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
1,470 Posts
Yeah I hope it helps. To make matters worse everything worked fine on the 3rd night on a single start. I'm a little sick of these esoteric problems that don't happen when I go to the dealer.
Not-for-nothing, but I see you have several electrically-related mods to your car like emblems, stereo upgrades, etc. Did the dealer ever try to weasel out of things by pointing to them as a possible cause? We know how finnicky an Insight can be electrically.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not-for-nothing, but I see you have several electrically-related mods to your car like emblems, stereo upgrades, etc. Did the dealer ever try to weasel out of things by pointing to them as a possible cause? We know how finnicky an Insight can be electrically.
So far the only attitude I have gotten was from Berlin City Honda which I gave the coveted 4 dildo award in one of my videos. When I was still investigating the reason behind the vent rattle and was going to several dealers to get their opinions these idiot just listed all the extras on my car and did nothing to try to find out what the problem was. I wrote a very nice reply to their crap in a review response to their question on what I thought of their service. This dealer really pissed me off. I'm still working with the rattle as we speak and I will have another video detailing what's going on with that.

The stereo really hasn't caused any problems with the car as far as anyone can tell. Obviously it's about a 500 watt increase in power draw, but I had the car evaluated and everyone said the car's systems can handle it with no problems. The emblems draw hardly any power but we both know what water intrusion can do to that. Happily the marine grade adhesive and sealant has kept everything hunky dory there. I have a Dash cam but it's made for cars so I doubt they'll get too pissy with that. I also have the ambient lighting, but again, while he might be a bit untrustworthy, Adam is well known by the dealers when it comes to his electrical prowess so I have faith it won't be a problem.

Time will tell and I don't doubt I'll get into fights in the future, but I will invoke the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act as a defense and go to court if necessary. They have to show that an item's failure is in direct response to an action I took in any changes done to the car. Obviously that's not all the act is for, but I do have some protection and I'm an honest person, so if something I had done to the car is responsible for a failure, and I know about it, I will usually take responsibility. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I do have a sense of right and wrong and I do believe people should take responsibility for there own errors.

·
Super Moderator
1,470 Posts
I have never, ever, ever received a driver alert notification for drowsiness or a message to take a break until today. It was my first hour-plus drive in the Insight since the BCM recall. It came up twice in the span of 20 minutes. I'm not sure if I had disabled it prior to the recall since I've owned the car over two years and I'm old and forget stuff like that. I know some settings were reset to default. Has anyone else experienced this? My wife was in the car and asked me about it. I was fully engaged in driving at the time. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,907 Posts
I normally don't use the auto headlight option on my Insight but... I recently noticed it no longer lights up the headlight icon with the letter A anymore when I have it set to Auto. The low beams do automatically turn on at night though.

@hasarad I haven't seen the driver monitor alert yet after the BCM update. I don't think it ever alerted me before the update either since I like to think I'm always paying attention anyways. :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have had a driver alert once, but that was nearly at the beginning of my ownership. Never seen one since.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts