Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a Bug in the new Body Control Module update?

I just put up a video of a new issue I am having that I think may be related to the new BCM update. I recently experienced the failure of my auto-brights system. It would fail to work in a dark environment unless I stop and restart the car. This would happen at night after I left from work to go home. So far this has happened 2 nights in a row. Wiping the windshield off in the area the unit is at did no good. Only a restart would fix the problem. This of course works with the idea that I am correct at where the Auto-Bright sensor is.

Before the BCM update the only other problem I had ever had with Auto-Brights was them getting stuck in bright mode every now and then. Turning the auto-bright system off and on again would fix this. If anyone else experiences this please comment here and/or on the video. Thanks.

·
Administrator
4,490 Posts
Wiping the windshield off in the area the unit is at did no good. Only a restart would fix the problem. This of course works with the idea that I am correct at where the Auto-Bright sensor is.
You have the right location for the light sensor on the Touring trim (upper center windshield); I think it's laser-based, from prior reading on the GenX Civic. For the LX/EX trim, the light sensor is placed in different location (bottom center windshield) and is a round plastic dome-shaped thing. (OM19 pg 194)

I haven't had the BCM Update done yet and am not an "auto-high beam" user, so don't have any perspective. But given the sensor physical and placement differences, it will be interesting to hear from responses if what you observed only affects Touring owners, or also affects LX/EX owners after BCM Software Update.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,343 Posts
Auto-lights should not be confused with auto-brights. The sensor location between Touring and LX/EX are camera-based for auto-bights, where headlight auto-on is derived from the ambient sensors mentioned by @insightfully.

Normally, a quick pull-back on the stalk toggles the auto-bights setting to auto/manual. @Verdier - is that not working either? I have not had a single issue with mine, but I'm rollin' in an EX.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing this issue after the update? I haven't had any issues mentioned in the recall, so I am hesitant to have the recall done. I'm sure I am going to be forced to do it if I take my car in for the oil change coming up soon.. I have heard on the facebook group that someone is even experiencing issues where the doors don't appear to be closed to the system when they are. At the same time, I want to get the update because Verdier says that his cruise control seems to be working a lot better now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My experience with "software updates" over the years can best be described like such...

... update Windows or some random app on your phone, how often does one of their updates break something else? I am not saying this update is bad, but there is no reason to rush into it. Let others be the victims. :p

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Auto-lights should not be confused with auto-brights. The sensor location between Touring and LX/EX are camera-based for auto-bights, where headlight auto-on is derived from the ambient sensors mentioned by @insightfully.

Normally, a quick pull-back on the stalk toggles the auto-bights setting to auto/manual. @Verdier - is that not working either? I have not had a single issue with mine, but I'm rollin' in an EX.
The auto brights system just refuses to work until I actively restart the car a second time. Turning the system off and on again and/or wiping the windscreen doesn't solve the problem. Maybe the sensor is dying, but since stopping the car and turning the whole car off then on again fixes it for the duration leads me to believe it's software based.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is anyone else experiencing this issue after the update? I haven't had any issues mentioned in the recall, so I am hesitant to have the recall done. I'm sure I am going to be forced to do it if I take my car in for the oil change coming up soon.. I have heard on the facebook group that someone is even experiencing issues where the doors don't appear to be closed to the system when they are. At the same time, I want to get the update because Verdier says that his cruise control seems to be working a lot better now.
OMG! Did no one get the joke? Please view the video again. Please. The radio does NOT crash less often, The radar does NOT see cars better, I am not going to become the ambassador to Israel, and I haven't found a pill that will make my HooHoo bigger. I thought the joke was obvious. I think I'll have to make another video explaining it was a joke. I thought Leslie Nielsen in the bottom corner growing a Pinochio nose would work. Sorry for the confusion. 🤪

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My experience with "software updates" over the years can best be described like such...

... update Windows or some random app on your phone, how often does one of their updates break something else? I am not saying this update is bad, but there is no reason to rush into it. Let others be the victims. :p
Are you victim blaming me?! ;) ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
No, I am just saying thank you for taking the bullet and finding all the bugs, reporting them to Honda to get fixed, and in three or four years when they actually do I can get this upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,343 Posts
BCM recall was done today (along with fuel pump recall). I swear my Insight is quieter than is was before the recall. Probably not, but one can dream.

@Verdier - auto-brights work the same as they did pre-recall in my EX.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BCM recall was done today (along with fuel pump recall). I swear my Insight is quieter than is was before the recall. Probably not, but one can dream.

@Verdier - auto-brights work the same as they did pre-recall in my EX.
I was under the impression that auto-brites were only on the touring model. Did I forget the facts again? Either way my dealer is going to re-do the update to see if it helps with the problem.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I was under the impression that auto-brites were only on the touring model. Did I forget the facts again? Either way my dealer is going to re-do the update to see if it helps with the problem.
No, the autobrights are in all trim levels.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,343 Posts
Even us lowly lower-trim owners get auto-brights.

I'll say this - the Insight is the first car that I've ever owned that I can reboot! @Verdier - I hope your re-flash goes smoothly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts