Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wondering if anyone knows anything about the technical aspect of jacking up the insight.
We have three covers spaced evenly apart between the jack points on each side. Only the jack points are open. The rest of the rail is covered with the covers or body paneling.
Anyone have a clue what these are for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I know where the jack points are, was just wondering what those covers are for. I’ll have to ask the dealer when I go in for my first service. The mystery continues.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,277 Posts
On a totally unrelated note, I rotated my tires today. When I jacked up the front of the car, this happened. Note sure If I should be happy that I can remove two tires using the front jack point only. I didn't, but it sure was tempting.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
....On a totally unrelated note, I rotated my tires today. When I jacked up the front of the car, this happened. Note sure If I should be happy that I can remove two tires using the front jack point only. I didn't, but it sure was tempting.
Should be all right. Just don't jack it up too high. Couple of inches off the ground should be enough to pull the wheel off.
I did notice the even wear on the front tire! A good sign given your 40 psi tire pressure!

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,277 Posts
Should be all right. Just don't jack it up too high. Couple of inches off the ground should be enough to pull the wheel off.
I did notice the even wear on the front tire! A good sign given your 40 psi tire pressure!
The tire in the forefront of the photo is the rear tire. It had 5K miles on the front, and 5K on the rear. The increased pressure had no ill effects. I've also hit a few significant potholes with no issues. The sidewall maximum pressure for the Michelin s is 44psi. I run them at 40. I have never run them as less than that, so I can't be sure of exactly how much improvement to mpg that has given.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jacking points?

Today was going to check fitment of the '07 Civic wheels on my Insight for a winter tire swap, but am not finding any obvious rear jacking point. The exhaust is blocking the normal point I'd use on the rear suspension...

Reading in the Emergency Response Guide (https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/Training/AFV/Emergency-Response-Guides/Honda/Honda-Insight-HEV-2019--ERG.ashx?la=en) which shows the tow points and structural details, there's a spot where a rear tow hook might be which has stronger material. looking at the car, this spot is exposed from the plastic cover and it looks very tempting as a jack point, but I'd rather not find out it doesn't work...

Found some discussion on the Honda Clarity's jack points which suggested that this spot was suggested for that vehicle, but its response guide shows a different structural design, so not sure.

It sounds like others have done their own wheel swaps - where is your jack point?

Thanks!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I know I'm digging up an old thread. Most likely answer is aerodynamics, and/or corrosion resistance.

Reactions: sEXzNsite

·
Registered
148 Posts
they appear to be mounting points for the composite rocker panel covers. they are hinged to it on the outside edge. they have something like a 10mm hex head in the middle. my guess is that they are designed like this to allow some flexibility if the rocker cover was hit to prevent it from being torn away from the bolts. see attached pic and avatar

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
i used those indicated in the manual with hydraulic jack and a strategically placed 2x4 chunk to try to prevent damage to the undercoating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've normally used the side rail locations for the jackstands and was looking for another location for the hydraulic floor jack. So if the side rail is for the hydraulic jack, where does one locate the jack stands?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I don't feel comfortable recommending this to everyone, but if you are only using the jack stands as a safety backup, you can always use the lower control arms. This is at your own risk, I would never personally do this to lift all 4 corners off of the ground.

Personally I'd raise only one corner at a time unless you absolutely had to be under the car.

Reactions: sEXzNsite

·
Registered
123 Posts
they appear to be mounting points for the composite rocker panel covers. they are hinged to it on the outside edge. they have something like a 10mm hex head in the middle. my guess is that they are designed like this to allow some flexibility if the rocker cover was hit to prevent it from being torn away from the bolts. see attached pic and avatar
I did see those jack points as indicated in the manual, however those points would basically enable one to jack one wheel at a time. When I jacked at the cross member or the rear pumpkin or axle that would lift either the front or rear of the car and I could place jack stands accordingly. If I wanted to rotate the tires myself, using the suggested jack points would be very cumbersome for such a task

·
Registered
148 Posts
If I wanted to rotate the tires myself, using the suggested jack points would be very cumbersome for such a task
yes it would.

i do a rotation once a year to each set of wheels and tires. when i take off one season's set, i write the location it came from. the when returning to that seasons set, i put them in rotated locations. this works best for me.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,277 Posts
I do mine every 5K miles. Having a compact spare tire allows me to do everything in 30 minutes. I take this time to clean the inside of my wheels while I have them off. With a good floor jack and impact for lug-nut removal, doing one corner at a time isn't an issue - you just need to utilize the spare tire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I do mine every 5K miles. Having a compact spare tire allows me to do everything in 30 minutes. I take this time to clean the inside of my wheels while I have them off. With a good floor jack and impact for lug-nut removal, doing one corner at a time isn't an issue - you just need to utilize the spare tire.
Do you position the floor jack at the same jacking points for the scissors jack (with a piece of wood fitted in the recessed jack point)? I'm considering a floor jack with a minimum height of 5". I'm not sure I could get it in there if the car was sitting lower than normal due to a flat tire. I got a spare tire and rim off Ebay but don't have a jack.
EDIT, maybe I should just get this one.https://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-ton-scissor-jack-66907.html

·
Administrator
4,234 Posts
Do you position the floor jack at the same jacking points for the scissors jack (with a piece of wood fitted in the recessed jack point)? I'm considering a floor jack with a minimum height of 5". I'm not sure I could get it in there if the car was sitting lower than normal due to a flat tire. I got a spare tire and rim off Ebay but don't have a jack.
EDIT, maybe I should just get this one.https://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-ton-scissor-jack-66907.html
I think 5" would be too tight a fit. The Insight's ground clearance is 5.06" without load and 4.29" with load. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/4864-post13.html

If it helps, the part number for the jack itself is 89310-S5A-013, and has been used in spare tire kits for Honda's dating 1985 forward. Maybe you can find an used one for cheap (since widely available). - https://www.conicellihondaparts.com/oem-parts/honda-jack-assembly-pantograph-89310s5a013

On Amazon, the package height for the jack part number is listed as 3.5"

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think 5" would be too tight a fit. The Insight's ground clearance is 5.06" without load and 4.29" with load. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/4864-post13.html

If it helps, the part number for the jack itself is 89310-S5A-013, and has been used in spare tire kits for Honda's dating 1985 forward. Maybe you can find an used one for cheap (since widely available). - https://www.conicellihondaparts.com/oem-parts/honda-jack-assembly-pantograph-89310s5a013

On Amazon, the package height for the jack part number is listed as 3.5"
Okay, thanks. I think the little Harbor Freight scissor jack would work but will check local salvage for an OEM Honda one.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,277 Posts
I'm able to get my 20yo Sears Craftsman jack under the car with no issues. I picked up a rubber insert off eBay to grab the scissor jack point. I haven't changed a flat yet, but I doubt my Sears jack would fit. Fortunately, I bought the jack, tools and foam holder from a 2016 Civic when I got the spare tire.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Quick question

What sorta jack are you guys using? I always used the standard honda jack that came with my accord and obviously the insight doesn't have one so I'm kinda at a loss. Ramps sound good but it won't help when I rotate my tires... Im looking at a scissor jack but a ton seem super sketch on amazon. Looks like a bottle jack may work? Most appear to be too tall and won't clear the height of the car...so I'd have to go low profile..

I'm looking to spend <$50

1 - 20 of 26 Posts