Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a couple slotted Jack Pads to protect the "rolled pinch welds" when I jack up the car. I have two jacks and although one already had a rubber cushioned pad the other didn't and I just wanted to cover my bases. Got the pads off Amazon and with these I'm assured I wouldn't haphazardly mess up the rolled pinch welds.

If you have a jack with a rubber pad like the one pictured, no need for these.

2-Pack Slotted Rubber Jack Pads $11.99

·
Administrator
4,709 Posts
Got a couple slotted jack pads to protech my pinch welds when I jacked up the car. I have two jacks and although one already had a rubber cushioned pad the other didn't and I just wanted to cover my bases. Got the pads off Amazon and with these I'm assured I wouldn't haphazardly mess up the pinch welds.
Are these for use at the spots marked with green tape in the Jack Options & rail covers between jack points thread?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well two things... first just because you jack has a rubber pad, does not mean it is good for the pinch welds. Those adapters you have put some of the strain on the weld, and not everything on the, I do not know what to call it, metal nipple thingy.

Second, well FMRGWAC a car that the manufacturer tells you to use the pinch welds as main jack points. Weird, anywho it did not seem right so for the next 30 days I have access to Honda SIS...

... if anyone asks my name is John Doe.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,470 Posts
Well two things... first just because you jack has a rubber pad, does not mean it is good for the pinch welds. Those adapters you have put some of the strain on the weld, and not everything on the, I do not know what to call it, metal nipple thingy.

Second, well FMRGWAC a car that the manufacturer tells you to use the pinch welds as main jack points. Weird, anywho it did not seem right so for the next 30 days I have access to Honda SIS...

Wow! Front/rear jack brackets. Now we know! Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

What does FMRGWAC stand for?

Regarding your coment: The jacks rubber pad or the rubber puck I posted are simply cushions. I assume you're stating it's better to have just metal on metal for a direct contact rather than some rubber in between and that makes perfect sense.... But, IMO since only 25% of the cars weight, if that, is being lifted at those enforced pinch weld points I doubt it would make that much of a difference. Many lifts now a days have rubber on each of their dog legs so if the rubber was really was going to be an issue I wouldn't think they would have them.

Thanks for that pdf - great to know exactly where to jack the front and rear of the car from!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FMRGWAC?
52ish in.

And what I meant is some sort of adapter, rubber or metal spreads out the weight. Here is a 3rd grade level illustration.
View attachment 6432
Thanks for the diagram, however it is drawn incorrectly because the top of the rubber adapter DOES NOT make contact with the upper body as shown in your diagram. I've provided two additional photos for clarification. In reality the adapter is only providing a larger surface area for the jack. Again, it's my opinion, but even if it were designed to contact the upper portion of the structure, the weld itself would absorb most of the weight and the upper portion would just be added support.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts