Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda's first results report for 2021 has been published. Insight sales were bleak, now falling below the 1k mark per month, down -33% from same period last year. Only the Clarity sold worse/lower volume on a percent index basis for the month, at -45%.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,613 Posts
I can understand the numbers - sorta. It's winter, so I'd expect truck/SUV sales to be higher. Even Civic, a mainstay of Honda, had a significant sales slump. Passport and Pilot, both SUVs, were the only increases. I guess the good news is that electrified vehicle sales were up significantly. Let's see what Spring brings.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
In North America, Honda said it will reduce production of the Accord, Civic and Insight sedans, as well as the Odyssey minivan and Acura RDX, a crossover sports-utility vehicle. Honda will adjust production at its Marysville and East Liberty plants in Ohio, as well as at facilities in Alabama, Indiana and Canada. Honda will cut output by a few thousand units by the end of January, and the adjustment will likely continue, according to the Nikkei, which earlier reported the decreases at Honda North America. - Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
The microchip supply shortage is having an effect on inventory available at dealerships.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The microchip supply shortage is having an effect on inventory available at dealerships.
Wouldn't that affect future sales, rather than past sales/inventory? 2 months lead time seems to be the average timing from production to becoming inventory on lots, based on difference between Honda's launch dates and sell dates.

If output is reduced by end of January, I'd think the inventory effect would 'start' to be seen in March but wouldn't fully impact sales until lot inventory is significantly down (another 2 months, or 4 months total -?).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
I think for vehicles in normal production it's faster than 2 months unlike a new model year. My uncle's CRV Hybrid arrived at the dealership 3 weeks after being built. The lower numbers for Civic/Insight could be due to people waiting for the next gen Civic coming in March.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Brutal, but it’s not surprising considering how much Honda hates the Insight. It has literally zero incentives running on it right now whereas you can get a CRV lease for like $330/mo with zero down and zero due at signing.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think for vehicles in normal production it's faster than 2 months unlike a new model year. My uncle's CRV Hybrid arrived at the dealership 3 weeks after being built. The lower numbers for Civic/Insight could be due to people waiting for the next gen Civic coming in March.
I experienced similar; my car arrived seemingly straight from the production line, within 2-3 weeks of signing contract. But on the other extreme, there seems to be Insight inventory that sits for up to a year. Given the slow(er) rate of sales, the Insight inventory lasts longer. Not sure about potential Insight owners associating it with the Civic (yet). It seems like the connection is made after people like ourselves become owners. :)

I've been anxiously looking for news of the 2022 Insight, but there hasn't been any info yet. The 2021 Insight launched last year on 3/24/20, which would be similar timing for the Civic this year if timing is anniversaried for the 2022 Insight. Will be interesting to see how/if Honda overlaps the 2022 Civic gen11 and 2022 Insight in March. But I have a strong feeling it won't overlap, so as not to detract from the Civic Gen11 launch...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well, nothing in Honda's line sold anything in January. All vehicle sales were down. And of course, since Honda doesn't like the Insight, well. . .
But I suspect if you looked at all automobile/suv sales for all brands had similar showings in January. The coronavirus has had an effect.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why doesn’t Honda like the insight? I have noticed they never advertise it, never in commercial, etc.
Ah, the age-old question... some of our theories / speculation on it are in the following thread - Why isn't Honda promoting the Insight?

My running theory is that the Insight will be rolled into the Civic platform/brand within the next 1-2 years.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Why does Honda even try anymore with the Acura brand? It’s sales are small and it seems to have lost its prestige factor. They could save so much money by just dropping it entirely.

·
Registered
33 Posts
? The Acura MDX and RDX are the 5th and 7th biggest selling Lux SUVs in the US.market currently. And a new 2022 MDX is here soon.

as of 2017 - 'The MDX is the best-selling three-row luxury crossover of all time with over 750,000 cars sold up till 2017. It is the second best selling luxury crossover after the Lexus RX (which offers only two rows of seats).'
PS_ I'm not an SUV buyer but I bought 4 Acura coupes in the past.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting that the following article calls out Toyota having a distinct advantage over other automakers (including Honda) who are struggling with the microchip shortage. Honda may have something to learn from here, to keep sales strong...

Toyota learned from past material shortages after a 2011 earthquake/tsunami. It keeps a 'stockpile' of 500 priority components including the microchips, AND has a "long-standing policy of ensuring it understands all the technology used in its cars, rather than relying on suppliers to provide 'black boxes.' Toyota was, as far as we can tell, the only automaker properly equipped to deal with chip shortages," said a person familiar with Harman International, which specializes in car audio systems, displays and driver assistance technology."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts