Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Interesting design question... we always want what we don't have!

My Hondas all have yellow tint in the turn signal area, so never thought twice about it. On the Insight, that the rear turn signal didn't have yellow tint stood out to me and I still consider adding yellow tint film to the cover. At certain rear angles and lighting, a slight yellow glow is visible when not active but for the most part, the rear turn signal looks clear.

From a 'symmetry' standpoint, I like the Japanese design since both the front and rear turn signals would match (clear). But from a 'tradition' standpoint, I'd stick with the U.S. design.

Added some pictures below for side-by-side comparison of the subtlety.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe those would be the forward amber reflectors that are required by state law in the US - I had similar thoughts as to why we didn't get the cleaner looking Japanese headlamps

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like the amber front turn signals. I think it grabs attention more especially at night (good for safety, too).
The Japanese headlights still have the amber flashing blinkers.. We're referring to the fixed amber corners at the ends of the headlights.

I expect the US Insight to get a face lift for 2021/2022 so i'd just wait to see what they do, because I have a feeling they might bring blacked out LED headlamps like they did for the Civic for 2020's Facelift.. that would look good for us.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
I believe those would be the forward amber reflectors that are required by state law in the US - I had similar thoughts as to why we didn't get the cleaner looking Japanese headlamps
Agree... but I think it's a US federal regulation, which states also incorporate into their own laws. - https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.xml

The requirements in Table II for turn signal lamps reads: "At or near the front - 1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height, and as far apart as practicable."

The color requirement is more flexible on the rear, as it can be red or amber: "On the rear - 1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height, and as far apart as practicable."

I'm actually surprised that the clear rear turn signal cover was acceptable for the Insight. I expected it to be amber tinted, but it seems an amber bulb when activated is enough to meet the federal requirement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts