Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I noticed that the front passenger dashboard on the Japanese Insight is cloth/suede instead of leather.
Whereas all US Insights have leather passenger dash on all trims, correct? Leather seems to sustain wear better where the knee padding is.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed that the front passenger dashboard on the Japanese Insight is cloth/suede instead of leather.
Whereas all US Insights have leather passenger dash on all trims, correct? Leather seems to sustain wear better where the knee padding is.
The Japanese Insight has 3 trims. Cloth(LX), Half leather/Half cloth(EX), and Suede(EX Black Style). The EX Black Style is the top trim.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
I noticed that the front passenger dashboard on the Japanese Insight is cloth/suede instead of leather. Whereas all US Insights have leather passenger dash on all trims, correct? Leather seems to sustain wear better where the knee padding is.
Yes, correct - the 'leather' option on the Japanese top Insight trim is called "ultra suede." Japanese reviewers mention it's waterproof and a nice balance between cloth and leather.

In the US at least, "ultra suede" is a trademarked name for a synthetic microfiber fabric invented in Japan. Until I can see/feel it myself, I think the Japanese 'suede' finish isn't the leather we think of in the US.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Japanese Insight has 3 trims. Cloth(LX), Half leather/Half cloth(EX), and Suede(EX Black Style). The EX Black Style is the top trim.
Thanks for the details. It is interesting how the Japanese market has alternatives to leather for being the more upscale material in higher trims. For example, the Toyota Century has wool seats on upper trims, and leather seats on "lower" trims. (Still not so much a "lower" trim considering its prestige)

In the US at least, "ultra suede" is a trademarked name for a synthetic microfiber fabric invented in Japan. Until I can see/feel it myself, I think the Japanese 'suede' finish isn't the leather we think of in the US.
I just remembered, the Civic Type R has suede fabric around the center armrest area and door armrest area. That could possibly be the same Ultra Suede material used in the Japanese market Insight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts