Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wish the chartSpecified Accord Hybrid apart from the total Accord sales. I know it stated both "posting retail sales of more than 2,000 units."

On one of my test drives, I asked the sales rep about how the Insight was selling since I've never seen one out in the wild and he said it was selling better than the Accord hybrid.

·
Super Moderator
4,085 Posts
I wish the chartSpecified Accord Hybrid apart from the total Accord sales. I know it stated both "posting retail sales of more than 2,000 units."
Agree! Details would be nice to see. I think Honda wants the data "optics" to look good, so the detailed breakout won't come for a while until the growth is there for each model to stand alone in its data.

The latest report showing 5800 electrified cars total for Jun 2019 is a "lump" of total hybrid, EV, and fuel cell sales across both Honda and Acura brands. Impressively though, the 2367 Insights sold in Jun 2019 is ~41% of the total, and the Clarity is ~20% of the total for the month.

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
Lifetime since launch - 25,058 (12 months) *Honda's goal was 20,000 during the 1st year*

June 2018 - December 2018 = 12,510
January 2019 - June 2019 = 12,548

Seems like Honda will sell around 12,500 Insights every 6 months if it continues at the same pace.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Lifetime since launch - 25,058 (12 months) *Honda's goal was 20,000 during the 1st year*

June 2018 - December 2018 = 12,510
January 2019 - June 2019 = 12,548

Seems like Honda will sell around 12,500 Insights every 6 months if it continues at the same pace.
Wow. Think how much more they would sell if they actually ADVERTISED the Insight! I get emails from my dealer regularly with deals on every model except the Insight and Clarity. Why? Maybe a higher margin on the others?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Jeez, I mentioned May sales of 2653 and didn't hear a peep from anyone here. June is a lower total at 2367 and everybody's commenting ? What Gives ? lol

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Jeez, I mentioned May sales of 2653 and didn't hear a peep from anyone here. June is a lower total at 2367 and everybody's commenting ? What Gives ? lol
June is the one year anniversary, so it carries a bit more weight, I guess.

·
Super Moderator
4,085 Posts
Oops, you're right... not fair. I think when we look back, May will be the Insight's largest sales month for the calendar year.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also noticed that the May sales thread says 2016 vs 2019? That may have confused some folks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
On one of my test drives, I asked the sales rep about how the Insight was selling since I've never seen one out in the wild and he said it was selling better than the Accord hybrid.
A month after we bought the Insight it was like this, "What? The Accord comes in hybrid? The CR-V comes in hybrid? Why didn't we look at the CR-V? It's starts around $25k!!!"

I hybrid was discontinued on the previous Gen Accord (I also have a previous Gen Accord) so I had no idea they brought it back.

We could have bought a CR-V hybrid. But it seems they've pulled it for MY20.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The latest report showing 5800 electrified cars total for Jun 2019 is a "lump" of total hybrid, EV, and fuel cell sales across both Honda and Acura brands. Impressively though, the 2367 Insights sold in Jun 2019 is ~41% of the total, and the Clarity is ~20% of the total for the month.
I'm stunned that Insight is 41% of Honda's electricfied sales. Here in SoCal see tons of Clarity Plugin and Clarity EV every single day especially in the Carpool lane. The last Insight I saw was a week ago, a courtesy Vehicle from a dealer. I rarely see them.

Perhaps this is California and Clarity is favored because of carpool lane access. I can tell you all the Clarity owners at my work bought / leased them for carpool lane access and only drive them to commute and don't drive them on weekends.

At my work, we have 3 Clarity's, eGolf, i3, Bolt, Model 3, 2 Prius primes... 0 insights, 2 ioniqs hybrids. Again showing the dominant Clarity over the Insight. There are also some CT200h and Gen 2 Priuses... But thats all old stuff.

Clarity's are common on the freeway on weekdays, but a rarity to be seen on weekends, relegating them to commuter vehicles. The Insight is a daily driver, so I would expect to see more of them, but sadly there are not.

·
Super Moderator
4,085 Posts
A month after we bought the Insight it was like this, "What? The Accord comes in hybrid? The CR-V comes in hybrid? Why didn't we look at the CR-V? It's starts around $25k!!!"

I hybrid was discontinued on the previous Gen Accord (I also have a previous Gen Accord) so I had no idea they brought it back.

We could have bought a CR-V hybrid. But it seems they've pulled it for MY20.
The CR-V hybrid was only offered outside of US/Canada for the 2019 model year. It was announced in Oct 2018 at the Paris Motor Show but only launched in Europe, China and Japan. @andrew28 posted some nice pictures of a 7-seater CR-V hybrid option HERE.

I've heard rumblings that it may appear in US/Canada for the 2020 model year. My guess is that they needed time to ramp-up production and/or add equipment to produce the CR-V hybrid for the high-volume US/Canada market.

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
I'm stunned that Insight is 41% of Honda's electricfied sales. Here in SoCal see tons of Clarity Plugin and Clarity EV every single day especially in the Carpool lane. The last Insight I saw was a week ago, a courtesy Vehicle from a dealer. I rarely see them.

Perhaps this is California and Clarity is favored because of carpool lane access. I can tell you all the Clarity owners at my work bought / leased them for carpool lane access and only drive them to commute and don't drive them on weekends.

At my work, we have 3 Clarity's, eGolf, i3, Bolt, Model 3, 2 Prius primes... 0 insights, 2 ioniqs hybrids. Again showing the dominant Clarity over the Insight. There are also some CT200h and Gen 2 Priuses... But thats all old stuff.

Clarity's are common on the freeway on weekdays, but a rarity to be seen on weekends, relegating them to commuter vehicles. The Insight is a daily driver, so I would expect to see more of them, but sadly there are not.
I have seen plenty of Insights in Boston but I could go weeks without spotting a single one. Majority of them are on city streets and I rarely see them on the highway. Top 3 alternative fuel cars here in Boston are Prius/Prius Prime, Model 3/S/X, Clarity, and Bolt(Uber/Lyft drivers renting them for rideshare). I do see the Volt, Insight, and Ioniq but its more like once a week to every few weeks instead of daily.

The CR-V hybrid was only offered outside of US/Canada for the 2019 model year. It was announced in Oct 2018 at the Paris Motor Show but only launched in Europe, China and Japan. @andrew28 posted some nice pictures of a 7-seater CR-V hybrid option HERE.

I've heard rumblings that it may appear in US/Canada for the 2020 model year. My guess is that they needed time to ramp-up production and/or add equipment to produce the CR-V hybrid for the high-volume US/Canada market.
https://www.motor1.com/news/359157/honda-cr-v-refresh-renders/
The 2020 CRV is getting a mid-gen refresh and camo test vehicles were seen early last month (Indiana).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts