Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drove my car for about 2 hours this morning and parked her for about 8-9 hours in garage and get in car and get all these warnings..

Basically alot of the safety features are out.. lane keep assist , collision mitigation, road departure mitigation, tpms, electric power steering problem , acc problem..

I’ve decided not to drive car but I have my first complimentary oil change tomorrow and the dealer is about 1 1/2 hours away..

Can I still drive ? I’m assuming yes because therse are just warnings which don’t affect driving capability.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Although I can take car down the street to my local Honda dealership for this problem

·
Super Moderator
2,690 Posts
I'm going to guess you might have a bad 12v battery like previous owners with similar symptoms. What's the manufactured date on your Insight? Check under the hood to make sure you didn't have a rodent chew your car wiring.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to guess you might have a bad 12v battery like previous owners with similar symptoms. What's the manufactured date on your Insight? Check under the hood to make sure you didn't have a rodent chew your car wiring.
Hope it’s just battery.. I garage my car and haven’t parked my car in any 1 outside spot for over 2 hours since purchasing.. thank god I have a battery charger

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I’m not too familiar with the 12v battery on Insight , I’m just going to wait until tomorrow to see if I can get another battery.. or even if my wires are chewed up..

·
Super Moderator
2,690 Posts
Since I’m not too familiar with the 12v battery on Insight , I’m just going to wait until tomorrow to see if I can get another battery.. or even if my wires are chewed up..
Yeah, I would let the dealership handle it. @fattball disconnected the 12v battery after getting different error messages and the immobilizer disabled the car. https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/282-2019-honda-insight-complaints-issues-problems/3188-tons-problems-now-will-not-start.html

·
Super Moderator
4,074 Posts
So I drove my car for about 2 hours this morning and parked her for about 8-9 hours in garage and get in car and get all these warnings..

Basically alot of the safety features are out.. lane keep assist , collision mitigation, road departure mitigation, tpms, electric power steering problem , acc problem..

I’ve decided not to drive car but I have my first complimentary oil change tomorrow and the dealer is about 1 1/2 hours away..

Can I still drive ? I’m assuming yes because therse are just warnings which don’t affect driving capability.
Your issue might be similar to what @Wifey'sInsight reported in the following thread (see 'Album of Pictures' hyperlink in first post for snapshots of error messages) - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/282-2019-honda-insight-complaints-issues-problems/2738-electronics-go-haywire.html

One observation was that the messages were momentary and corrected itself on next start-up. If related, drivetrain wasn't affected and car was still operable. Root cause was identified as software/communication error between the DII (screen behind steering wheel) and BCM (body control module). Hopefully software update and BCM reset will resolve your issue as well.

·
Super Moderator
4,074 Posts
Hope it’s just battery.. I garage my car and haven’t parked my car in any 1 outside spot for over 2 hours since purchasing.. thank god I have a battery charger
Recent discussion of 12V battery failure/replacement are in another thread for preview/comparison to that experience - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/282-2019-honda-insight-complaints-issues-problems/3356-defective-12-volt-battery.html

You could call Honda Roadside Assistance (included in 3 yr/36k warranty) to help. If it's a bad 12V battery, they should be able to test, jump, or replace. And worst case, they could tow you to the dealer to avoid having to drive the car at all if you feel it's unsafe personally or mechanically.

Double check that your battery charge is "AGM-compatible" before using (p592 in Owners Manual): "AGM labeled batteries like those installed in your vehicle require a compatible charger to be properly charged. Damage to the battery can result if the battery is charged improperly or with the wrong equipment. For more information on how to charge your vehicle’s AGM battery, consult a dealer."

If you decide to try using battery charger yourself, there jump starting tips offered in the following thread, including battery booster info, jump start procedure, and shift lock release (for towing). Jump Start instructions are also on pp 628-630 of the Owners Manual - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/202-2019-honda-insight-charging-batteries/688-my-car-died-cold-weather-starting-problem-2.html

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
I had those same errors come up due to a defective accessory I installed. I was still able to drive the hour home without issues. Others have had their 12v battery be the cause, but, due to my issue, I believe it can be any type of electrical gremlin. The Insight is very sensitive.

As long as it starts/drives, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to the dealer - just be aware all the Honda safety stuff may not work properly. You always have free towing from Honda is things don't work out.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m wondering if it’s this new 3 into 1 cigarette lighter adapter I bought off Amazon..

I’m running my dash cam, a small 150w inverter, and a phone holder with wireless charging line into it.. plus I’m using built in usb in car for wired phone connection.

I’m wondering if this is too much .. the inverter is always on but not always used.(I’m wondering if I should unplug it and plug it in only when used. (I didn’t have any issues in my 2010 Prius with it.)

Here is link to adapter ..maybe someone here can look at specs and might know if it’s too much..

https://www.amazon.com/Yantu-Cigarette-Lighter-Adapter-Splitter/dp/B07CM7PJQB/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=3+into+1+cigarette+lighter&qid=1571417602&sr=8-3

·
Super Moderator
4,074 Posts
I’m wondering if it’s this new 3 into 1 cigarette lighter adapter I bought off Amazon..

I’m running my dash cam, a small 150w inverter, and a phone holder with wireless charging line into it.. plus I’m using built in usb in car for wired phone connection.

I’m wondering if this is too much .. the inverter is always on but not always used.(I’m wondering if I should unplug it and plug it in only when used. (I didn’t have any issues in my 2010 Prius with it.)
Somewhat related to the directions for air compressor use only while car is fully running, I'd suspect the constant drain from your inverter could be causing issue. How long have you been using it?

Do you have a battery tester or OBD monitor? The Amazon page provides guidance on 12V battery charge range as an indication of normal/abnormal. It might help if you can test battery both with and without the adapter to see the degree of battery drain.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just had a similar issue. Took it to the dealer and they showed me a chewed up wire underneath my engine just above the bottom shield. The transmission temperature sensor wire had been chewed by a rodent. Which caused a cascade of errors. It wasn’t covered under warranty and I paid $258 for the repair. It’s unfortunate that the little wire is so accessible to a rodent at the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Somewhat related to the directions for air compressor use only while car is fully running, I'd suspect the constant drain from your inverter could be causing issue. How long have you been using it?

Do you have a battery tester or OBD monitor? The Amazon page provides guidance on 12V battery charge range as an indication of normal/abnormal. It might help if you can test battery both with and without the adapter to see the degree of battery drain.

The funny thing is I’ve been using it for months in my 2010 Prius without any 12v battery issues.. but then again that was plugged directly into a dedicated cigarette lighter.. this one is plugged into the adapter with 2 other devices..

I wonder if I can buy a OBD monitor or battery tester and test it and then return it?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just had a similar issue. Took it to the dealer and they showed me a chewed up wire underneath my engine just above the bottom shield. The transmission temperature sensor wire had been chewed by a rodent. Which caused a cascade of errors. It wasn’t covered under warranty and I paid $258 for the repair. It’s unfortunate that the little wire is so accessible to a rodent at the bottom of the car.

When I dropped off my car, the dealer said it could be one of 2 things: failing battery or rodent chewed out something (not sure how a rodent could get to my car so quickly)..

·
Super Moderator
2,690 Posts
Honda actually makes rodent tape. Part number 4019-2317 if they didn't add any after the replacement. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-HONDA-ACURA-RODENT-RAT-MICE-MOUSE-PROOF-ELECTRICAL-TAPE-4019-2317-/291726407330

·
Super Moderator
4,074 Posts
Could you share picture or directional description on where this exposed wire location is?

·
Super Moderator
4,074 Posts
When I dropped off my car, the dealer said it could be one of 2 things: failing battery or rodent chewed out something (not sure how a rodent could get to my car so quickly)..
Curiosity Qs:
- Did you end up jumping the battery?
- Were the error messages still there after start-up, or did they clear?
- Were you able to drive the car to dealer as normal?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Curiosity Qs:
- Did you end up jumping the battery?
- Were the error messages still there after start-up, or did they clear?
- Were you able to drive the car to dealer as normal?
No, yes, and yes..

I’m at dealer now and the car has been here for a few hours.. they said they did see rodent activity but no wires chewed ( honestly I don’t know how , perhaps for being parked on dealer lot for a while?) ..

They said the rack and pinion has to be replaced ( as its part of the electrical system).. they had to contact Honda for this .. which means my car will need an alignment and it’s a big job..

Wow.. that’s all I got to say now ..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Maybe I should just negotiate with Honda since the car is kind of new to perhaps give me a new orchid white pearl lx and take trade in of this one .. I’m sure the depreciation on this car will be less than what that new electrical system will cost and labor to install...lol

Edit: just fully thought it through and probably would be no-go as they would have to fix the trade-in vehicle to sell.. which ultimately would be more expensive for them if they gave me a new LX..

·
Super Moderator
4,074 Posts
No, yes, and yes..

I’m at dealer now and the car has been here for a few hours.. they said they did see rodent activity but no wires chewed ( honestly I don’t know how , perhaps for being parked on dealer lot for a while?) ..

They said the rack and pinion has to be replaced ( as its part of the electrical system).. they had to contact Honda for this .. which means my car will need an alignment and it’s a big job..

Wow.. that’s all I got to say now ..
Um, echo on the WOW part. But these don't sound like hybrid-specific electrical issues, so I wonder if they'd have to do this on any Honda with this problem... not just the hybrid Insight. Hopefully they send you home in a loaner car at some point.

Re: being on dealer lot for a while, you noted buying the car on 9/20/19. Do you know when your car was built (label inside driver's lower door frame)? Since yours is a 2019 model, worst case is that it was on lot more than a year (?).

1 - 20 of 78 Posts