Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Just a little over 6k and getting all these warnings

31K views 77 replies 11 participants last post by  martyr4 
#1 ·
So I drove my car for about 2 hours this morning and parked her for about 8-9 hours in garage and get in car and get all these warnings..

Basically alot of the safety features are out.. lane keep assist , collision mitigation, road departure mitigation, tpms, electric power steering problem , acc problem..

I’ve decided not to drive car but I have my first complimentary oil change tomorrow and the dealer is about 1 1/2 hours away..

Can I still drive ? I’m assuming yes because therse are just warnings which don’t affect driving capability.

#3 ·
I'm going to guess you might have a bad 12v battery like previous owners with similar symptoms. What's the manufactured date on your Insight? Check under the hood to make sure you didn't have a rodent chew your car wiring.

#5 ·
Since I’m not too familiar with the 12v battery on Insight , I’m just going to wait until tomorrow to see if I can get another battery.. or even if my wires are chewed up..

#7 ·
So I drove my car for about 2 hours this morning and parked her for about 8-9 hours in garage and get in car and get all these warnings..

Basically alot of the safety features are out.. lane keep assist , collision mitigation, road departure mitigation, tpms, electric power steering problem , acc problem..

I’ve decided not to drive car but I have my first complimentary oil change tomorrow and the dealer is about 1 1/2 hours away..

Can I still drive ? I’m assuming yes because therse are just warnings which don’t affect driving capability.
Your issue might be similar to what @Wifey'sInsight reported in the following thread (see 'Album of Pictures' hyperlink in first post for snapshots of error messages) - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/2...ues-problems/2738-electronics-go-haywire.html

One observation was that the messages were momentary and corrected itself on next start-up. If related, drivetrain wasn't affected and car was still operable. Root cause was identified as software/communication error between the DII (screen behind steering wheel) and BCM (body control module). Hopefully software update and BCM reset will resolve your issue as well.

#9 ·
I had those same errors come up due to a defective accessory I installed. I was still able to drive the hour home without issues. Others have had their 12v battery be the cause, but, due to my issue, I believe it can be any type of electrical gremlin. The Insight is very sensitive.

As long as it starts/drives, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to the dealer - just be aware all the Honda safety stuff may not work properly. You always have free towing from Honda is things don't work out.

#10 ·
I’m wondering if it’s this new 3 into 1 cigarette lighter adapter I bought off Amazon..

I’m running my dash cam, a small 150w inverter, and a phone holder with wireless charging line into it.. plus I’m using built in usb in car for wired phone connection.

I’m wondering if this is too much .. the inverter is always on but not always used.(I’m wondering if I should unplug it and plug it in only when used. (I didn’t have any issues in my 2010 Prius with it.)

Here is link to adapter ..maybe someone here can look at specs and might know if it’s too much..

https://www.amazon.com/Yantu-Cigare...nto+1+cigarette+lighter&qid=1571417602&sr=8-3

#11 ·
I’m wondering if it’s this new 3 into 1 cigarette lighter adapter I bought off Amazon..

I’m running my dash cam, a small 150w inverter, and a phone holder with wireless charging line into it.. plus I’m using built in usb in car for wired phone connection.

I’m wondering if this is too much .. the inverter is always on but not always used.(I’m wondering if I should unplug it and plug it in only when used. (I didn’t have any issues in my 2010 Prius with it.)
Somewhat related to the directions for air compressor use only while car is fully running, I'd suspect the constant drain from your inverter could be causing issue. How long have you been using it?

Do you have a battery tester or OBD monitor? The Amazon page provides guidance on 12V battery charge range as an indication of normal/abnormal. It might help if you can test battery both with and without the adapter to see the degree of battery drain.

#12 · (Edited)
I just had a similar issue. Took it to the dealer and they showed me a chewed up wire underneath my engine just above the bottom shield. The transmission temperature sensor wire had been chewed by a rodent. Which caused a cascade of errors. It wasn’t covered under warranty and I paid $258 for the repair. It’s unfortunate that the little wire is so accessible to a rodent at the bottom of the car.

#19 · (Edited)
Maybe I should just negotiate with Honda since the car is kind of new to perhaps give me a new orchid white pearl lx and take trade in of this one .. I’m sure the depreciation on this car will be less than what that new electrical system will cost and labor to install...lol

Edit: just fully thought it through and probably would be no-go as they would have to fix the trade-in vehicle to sell.. which ultimately would be more expensive for them if they gave me a new LX..

#27 ·
Sounds like car was on dealer lot ~9 months before you bought. It wouldn't necessarily be a lemon, but has been exposed to elements (e.g. heat), non-use (e.g. HV battery impact), and time (e.g. oil life) which might affect your ownership experience. It might also explain how wiring was gnawed when you've owned your car <1 month and mostly in garages.

There are some thoughts shared in this thread on buying an Insight on dealer lot for 6+ months. 12V battery condition and oil life were a couple concerns discussed: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/1...ying-insight-thats-been-sitting-6-months.html

Another owner saw 15% oil life hit after 1245 miles and <1 month of ownership, because >1 year had passed since production date. It seems the oil life calculation is based on miles/use and time (1 yr max) since last oil change. https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/1...-maintenance-required-soon-light-oil-15%.html

What does your oil life indicator show after 1 month of driving (and how many miles)?

#29 ·
There was rodent activity but nothing was found chewed by rodents .. so they are chalkng this up to a random failure of rack and pinion..

Reason I ask about it being a lemon.. I just looked up definition of a lemon and in order for my car to be a lemon , the problem has to reoccur after multiple repairs .

#34 ·
Sorry I've been away for a few days. If this happens to you, I take these steps:

I take pictures of all of the warning screens. I try the directionals (might not get sound), might not get lane assist camera. Put it in reverse, checking for the backup camera to work. I take note of those. I put the headlights in the "ON" position. I drive the car for 15-20 minutes. I park it and shut it down normally, and let it sit for at least 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes minimum has passed, I start the car back up, and normally the warnings will have disappeared. I also ALWAYS make a dealership appointment to have it documented.

Every time I have brought it in, they have pulled stored codes, checked the AGM battery, done a reset (last time they had a software update for the vehicle). Bonus is they wash the car with every service, downside is that it takes 2-3 hours per appointment.

Reactions: insightfully
#35 ·
You are the first person to report a mechanical/electrical (hardware) failure for this issue. I'm not doubting your service advisors, but did they mention which codes were stored in the BCM? It seems unlikely that a rack failure wouldn't have translated to at the very least a different steering feel. Also unless the software is written to take account for hardware failures outside of the obvious, there is no reason why all of the safety systems would have failed.

I do want to point out that in my case, I always get a brake system failure message and code when I have an electrical freak out. The real question is: is there a hardware error that the bcm can't reconcile (unlikely because it would persist), or does the BCM freak out and randomly select a hardware system to blame. I've had my brake system checked both times, and have shown no issues, nor did it affect the drivability of my car.

#36 ·
Since the electric power steering assist is non functional , the steering wheel feels a bit “lighter”, which is the best way to describe it.

According to dealership, car is still driveable.

I just hope this doesn’t become a repair nightmare.

#37 ·
Generally steering racks are good for a very long time, hopefully it was just a fluke, there are quite a few insights on the road, and I haven't seen a trend in failure. It sounds as if only the "electric assist" motor failed, and they are being pro-active to replace the entire unit, which should ensure a long term repair.

#39 ·
I have about 6500 miles ( it’s a lot but I do Uber/Lyft) and oil is at 50%.

Obviously I don’t want to go through this but it’s already happening. I just have my fingers crossed the install is a good job. I’m willing to bet this will be that dealer’s first rack and pinion install on an Insight (but who knows).

I’ve brought my s2000 (when I had her) there for a seat belt replacement (driver side) and there were things with the install I didn’t like, like them popping out the roll hoop covers (kinda doing it the easy way) to install seat belt. The roll hoops on the s2000 have to be removed to install seat belt but they ended up just separating the roll hoop covers to install the seat belt, but instead should of removed the whole assembly. I had to point that out to them that I had roll hoop covers that were separated ( it was hard to notice at first and I didn’t catch it upon pickup ).. they eventually got me a new roll hoop cover but it sucked because it was brand new and the color tone was off from the right side since it was new.

Obviously my Insight is a different situation but I’m sure we all had our problems with car dealership service.

#40 ·
I have about 6500 miles ( it’s a lot but I do Uber/Lyft) and oil is at 50%.

Obviously I don’t want to go through this but it’s already happening. I just have my fingers crossed the install is a good job. I’m willing to bet this will be that dealer’s first rack and pinion install on an Insight (but who knows).
At this pace of mileage accumulation (6500 miles in 1 month?), you'll blow past the standard warranty in 5-6 months... so maybe extended warranty is a good idea for you.

Also interesting that your oil life is at 50%. Having bought in September, I'd expect your car to trigger 15% oil life in December (1 yr from production date), but you're driving so much that your usage is outpacing that time counter. Most people are at 11-14k on a mileage basis they get to 15% oil life.

#41 ·
The exposed wire is right underneath the front of the car near the oil pan and filter. It’s pretty much the only wire harness running in that area that I saw. Looks like it goes right into the “transmission”. I should have taken a photo of it.

It’s right above where the bottom shield is.

#42 ·
Just got my car back a little while ago.. the rack and pinion complete assembly was not replaced but an electronic piece from it was (no alignment needed). Although I’m not happy this issue came up so early in my Insight ownership, I’m glad the whole assembly didn’t have to be replaced.

If you asked me what i miss the most out of all these safety features , it would be the safety auto high beam..and believe or not, the brake assist coming in second..

#43 ·
Mine is going in next week for its first warranty visit...

Seems to drive OK, but the brake warning light is on and various warnings on the MID. Ran fine last time it was driven a couple days ago and sat in the garage since. Restarted multiple times, same thing. Will try again tomorrow.

Attachments

#56 ·
#57 ·
Well to be fair the in dealership price is $730 for the camera, and 2.5 billable hours of labor doesn't sound unreasonable, plus sales tax. Pretty easy to see why the "book cost" for this repair is ~$1100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.