Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Key by Amazon is a service that allows Amazon delivery drivers to leave packages in the trunk of your car. Today Honda emailed to inform that this service is now available on my 2019 Touring. You have to have a HondaLink remote subscription ($119/year, but free for the first, I wanna say, six months with your new Insight purchase).

I think this service is extremely weird but wanted to see if anyone else would be trying it out. It could be nice if you don't want your packages to be lying at your door while no one is home.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,093 Posts
Interesting concept... hadn't heard about this until now. It's sounds like the "car" parallel to leaving your garage door keycode for Amazon deliveries. Amazon's site describes it as 'conveniently turning your vehicle into a personal mobile locker.'

HondaLink updated their main page, now highlighting this "Key by Amazon In-Car Delivery" feature at the top. The "Remote" HondaLink feature is offered to Touring owners for the first 3 months, but isn't offered to LX or EX owners (even if you were willing to pay for it). The delivery option is also only available to Amazon Prime subscribers in 'select' cities.

I have an EX so am not eligible - but agree it seems a little 'weird' and I'm not sure I'd sign up even if I could. Unlike a garage (which can kinda sorta be locked/isolated from rest of house), the Insight's trunk provides access to the interior via the seatbacks folding down. And without a lockable glovebox, the whole car becomes open/exposed so I'd feel like I need to clean my car before getting a delivery.

The general 'exposure' (and hacking risk?) feels like more than needed to 'just' receive a package. There are too many other 'easy' (and more secure?) options for delivery and pick-up to take advantage of currently, that this one would fall toward the bottom of my list for now.

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
Worth trying at least once for the $10 amazon gift card if you have a Touring Insight with active HondaLink subscription. :wink:

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is just too weird for me. Yes,the garage door is sort of isolated from house but I consider it yet another layer of security. There is no way I'm letting some random Amazon delivery person access my garage or car. I mean, I'd rather someone steal the package vs break into my home or car. But that's me, I'm sure the service will take off (along with a lot of valuables! haha!).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts