Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Key Fob - battery replacement

19K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  hasarad 
#1 ·
This video is a little generic (i.e. vlogger posted same video for multiple Honda models) but provides illustration on how to replace the fob battery if it dies. Reprogramming of the fob should not be needed since it never technically 'dies' (i.e. always has/sends a transponder signal).

#2 ·
This video is a little generic (i.e. vlogger posted same video for multiple Honda models) but provides illustration on how to replace the fob battery if it dies. Reprogramming of the fob should not be needed since it never technically 'dies' (i.e. always has/sends a transponder signal).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccg1sgrglao
CR 2032 is the right battery though?

#10 ·
Can anyone suggest the best battery for the insight 2019 Key?
Overall, the CR 2032 battery is the correct size/spec for key fob battery replacement. I think of batteries as a commodity (vs proprietary) and overall I stick with Duracell or Energizer brands as they've been reliable and long-lasting for a variety of different consumer battery types and uses. Honda sells an OEM battery, but they certainly don't manufacture it themselves; Maxell brand is stamped on the OEM fob battery, so that's another brand option.

#11 · (Edited)
I just got the low battery indicator on the dash as well on my 2019 EX, and I just started using the 2nd fob they gave me at Honda. I see online a company sells them for about $100, and claims the dealership charges $300. But with the $100 model, you have to have an automotive skilled locksmith to get it to work, so that may eat up the savings I'd imagine. I'm curious about the battery replacement option, that sounds better. The above video helped a lot and I'll probably go that route. My battery in fob #1 lasted 2 years, 4 months.

#12 ·
Just replace the battery. Remove the physical key from the fob and use it to pry the fob apart. Battery replacement is simple and only a couple dollars! If you're doing one fob, you might was well replace the batteries in both. When I get a low warning for any of the six fobs in my family, I do all fobs at that time. The batteries last around two years.

#13 ·
Oct-2021 Update & Warning of BAD Quality/cheap/CR2032 Batteries -- FILE this under: There's no pairing of the Keyfob, it's most likely your Cheap Knock-off CR2032:

1/ If you buy cheap batteries, you'll experience the red light blinks when you press a button but the car will not respond. Once you are inside the keyfob on your secondary is fine but the primary does not work.
2/ I swapped out both batteries as both were reporting "Low Battery" Keyfob by the car. I bought the 2019 Insight new March of 2019, so yeah, 31 months is how long the batteries do last. I took it to the Dealer and they examined the batteries and sure enough the voltage would drop when you pressed the button so the car didn't get the signal. They put in a NEW energizer CR2032 and it worked flawlessly. Cheap batteries are made to fool you and a multi-meter cause I tested both batteries and it showed 3.3V so I'm not sure what happened but a $7 Dealer premium paid later for one battery, I then ordered 4x Energizer CR2032 for under $5.

EXAMPLE of Poor QC tested CR2032 Batteries from eBAY:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/231670194306?epid=15007113312&hash=item35f09ea082:g:NoYAAOSwT6pV4fRD

#14 ·
Yeah. 50 "Brand X" batteries for ten bucks is not as good a deal as it appears when they don't work. CR2032 batteries last at least a couple years on the fob. There really is no reason to skimp unless you like not being able to get into the car. Energizer or Duracell for the win. The ones I bought were Energizer lithium, so I expect longevity from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.