Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say I'm sitting outside the dog salon and my car is running with my phone playing music and my wife in the passenger seat. If I step outside the car with the key in my pocket, the car beeps a warning at me. If I walk into the dog salon to pay for my dog's haircut and pick him up, and walk back to my car in five minutes, what happens? Will the car have kept running with the doors locked? Will it have detected that my key has disappeared and automatically shut off? Thanks for your Insight. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
Let's say I'm sitting outside the dog salon and my car is running with my phone playing music and my wife in the passenger seat. If I step outside the car with the key in my pocket, the car beeps a warning at me. If I walk into the dog salon to pay for my dog's haircut and pick him up, and walk back to my car in five minutes, what happens? Will the car have kept running with the doors locked? Will it have detected that my key has disappeared and automatically shut off? Thanks for your Insight. :wink:
I don't remember if the doors can be lock if you leave with the fob but the car will remain running.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
The car shifts into park when the drivers door is opened, and three loud beeps (inside and outside) will occur if the fob is removed from car and the drivers door closes while car is still running. The car will stay running (along with music, climate control, etc).

The doors won't lock if the fob is in the car, but since you've taken the fob outside the car, you can lock the doors using the fob, or your wife can lock the doors from the inside.

@dr_glenn and @BILLBOGEY shared experiences on this in the this thread link, @hasarad in this additional post, and @Mr_Natural found information from the owners manual (OM pg 192) on this topic.

But then again... if your wife is staying in the car, couldn't you just leave the key fob in the car with her...? :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
The car shifts into park when the drivers door is opened, and three loud beeps (inside and outside) will occur if the fob is removed from car and the drivers door closes while car is still running. The car will stay running (along with music, climate control, etc).

The doors won't lock if the fob is in the car, but since you've taken the fob outside the car, you can lock the doors using the fob, or your wife can lock the doors from the inside.

@dr_glenn and @BILLBOGEY shared experiences on this in the this thread link, @hasarad in this additional post, and @Mr_Natural found information from the owners manual (OM pg 192) on this topic.

But then again... if your wife is staying in the car, couldn't you just leave the key fob in the car with her...? :)
And I might be mistaken, but if you leave with the key, and the doors lock, if your wife opens the door it will set off the alarm? Seems like I did this on a previous Honda.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
And I might be mistaken, but if you leave with the key, and the doors lock, if your wife opens the door it will set off the alarm? Seems like I did this on a previous Honda.
I think the security alarm can only be set when the car is powered off. Since the car was left running in the example, locking the doors wouldn't activate the alarm. It'd be like locking the doors from the inside while the car is being driven, without alarm.

Once the car is off, you're totally right that locking the doors would set the alarm, which would go off if a passenger exited afterwards.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your engine won't shut off by itself, and doors won't auto lock upon exiting with key. In fact, if your wife was in the driver seat, she could still drive the car without the keys within the interior. The car just won't turn back on after she powered it off.

Side note: Now that you have mentioned your dogs, you are OBLIGATED to show us pictures!!!!! :grin:

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
The rapid beep means the car was unable to alarm itself (because you had the key and left it running. If subsequently manually locked, the alarm will still not set.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
I wasn't able to lock my Insight while it was running when I tried earlier today.

I had the keyfob in my pocket.
  • It didn't lock using the door handle lock sensor
  • It didn't lock when I tried using the lock switch before closing the door
I forgot to check if the keyfob's lock button will work.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
I wasn't able to lock my Insight while it was running when I tried earlier today.
Helpful, thanks for experimenting. These are the types of things the manual doesn't detail. :)

If you have time, would you mind re-trying with the suggested locking methods and report back? - driver locking from outside with fob, and passenger locking from inside with door controls

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
Helpful, thanks for experimenting. These are the types of things the manual doesn't detail. :)

If you have time, would you mind re-trying with the suggested locking methods and report back? - driver locking from outside with fob, and passenger locking from inside with door controls
I was able to test the locking with keyfob while outside and that didn't work either. So just a heads up don't leave your Insight while it's running unless you want someone to steal it.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
I was able to test the locking with keyfob while outside and that didn't work either. So just a heads up don't leave your Insight while it's running unless you want someone to steal it.
...or unless someone is willing to stay inside (with a stick to beat people off)? :)

I'm still thinking it can be locked from inside, similar to the way one would do while driving.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
...or unless someone is willing to stay inside (with a stick to beat people off)? :)

I'm still thinking it can be locked from inside, similar to the way one would do while driving.
I agree with you that it most likely is possible to lock the doors if you have someone already inside do it. I think the car disables the lock function only if you try to lock it via door lock sensor on the handle, when door is open while using the interior lock switch, or lock button on the keyfob.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts