·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Good morning,
I thought this was an interesting, potentially life saving article. Considering our Insights are almost silent when in EV mode it would be easier to forget its running when parked in a garage. I keep a carbon monoxide alarm in my garage and have gotten into the habit of opening the garage door and glancing at the vehicles before bedtime.

Be careful out there!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/06/17/park-it-act-keyless-car-carbon-monoxide/1475171001/
Interesting, for some of us, required CO detectors would have alerted to the situation sooner. I'm not trying to victim blame in any way at all. Having grown up in an automotive family, garage safety is now inherently coded into me. I won't even start to close a garage door until the car has been turned off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I do admit sometimes I exit the car and later wonder if I had turned off the car since the car is so quiet. Luckily I always leave my keys in my pocket so if I exit the car it'll notify me if the car is still on :)

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I do admit sometimes I exit the car and later wonder if I had turned off the car since the car is so quiet. Luckily I always leave my keys in my pocket so if I exit the car it'll notify me if the car is still on :)
I choose to run my headlights manually AND disabled the headlight auto-off timer, which provides 'visual' benefit of letting me know the car is fully off. When I turn headlights off manually, the daytime running lights keep running until the car's power mode is set to "OFF." Seeing any lights left on is my biggest external clue that I've missed something.

OR if I forget to turn my headlights off manually and leave the car, seeing the headlights on and getting an extra alarm (in addition to key fob out-of-range alarm) forces me to return and re-check.

Also (ironically?) the manual suggests that the headlights be turned on manually when driving at night, rather than relying on automatic operation. See 2nd attachment, highlighted...

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts