Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backed up a bit too far and hit the handlebar of a dumster. Dented my trunk right at the edge, looks like ill have to live with it. Gonna use some touch up paint to fix the chips from the hit. Attached the picture of the damage.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I feel your pain I scraped(still not 100% sure on what) the front bottom of my Insight back in January less than a month after buying it. Luckily it's not visible unless I crouched down to see it. It might be worth asking for some quotes around your area from highly rated body shops (touch up paint could make it look worse). Here's a link to the Honda certified body shop locator if you don't know where to start.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not much really around, ill try out the touch up paint that hasrad recommended on the paint thread first. If the dent annoys me then ill probably go to a body shop since the nearest certified one is over an hour away.

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Sorry to hear about your scrape! Was the back-up camera un-helpful in this situation? And take it that your car doesn't have the (optional) parking sensors installed? It looks like an awkward 'edge' position, where paintless dent repair won't be effective.

Glad you found the thread on touch-up paint. I'll link it here, for quick future reference... and since it seems like ~half our forum members own white Insights. ;) - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/313-exterior/2148-touch-up-paint-2.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep don’t have parking sensors and the dumpster was angled so i thought i had another foot than i actually have. Stupid of me to back up dead center to it so I couldn’t see it from the side.

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
While the hood is aluminium, the trunk is still steel - which means it will rust of the metal is exposed. I'd get to a body shop for an estimate, although the edge may not be repairable. Since there are so many white Insights, you may just get lucky and get a new trunk lid from a wrecking yard and just swap it out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't feel bad.. I've been "trashing" my brand new car somehow.. Already went too far forward over a curb and broke a few clips on the front bumper (it was popped out afterwards but I fixed it mostly).. Everything is scraped up like Andrew's above.. Someone's already hit my passenger side mirror and it has a nice big scrape.. I spilled water all over the passenger leather front seat and the leather is sort of warped now (sigh). Someone dinged the rear quarter panel..

It's 2 weeks old :)

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Don't feel bad.. I've been "trashing" my brand new car somehow.. Already went too far forward over a curb and broke a few clips on the front bumper (it was popped out afterwards but I fixed it mostly).. Everything is scraped up like Andrew's above.. Someone's already hit my passenger side mirror and it has a nice big scrape.. I spilled water all over the passenger leather front seat and the leather is sort of warped now (sigh). Someone dinged the rear quarter panel..

It's 2 weeks old :)
...going for the 'lived-in' look, eh? ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bb255, I feel your pain. I scraped my Insight a day before you, along a pillar in our parking garage at work. Scraped up the passenger side rear quarter panel, about two feet long or more. :( A friend owns a body shop and is giving me a discount, but it's going to set me back a bit. This is the most I've damaged a car since I was a teenager, when I accidentally pulled off our 1994 Accord's front bumper while backing out of our driveway (don't ask). Really annoyed at my lack of care.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts