Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Knocking under driver floorboard

38K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  andrew28 
#1 ·
Does anyone notice a weird knocking sound coming from under the front driver side floor board when accelerating and or breaking? It doesn’t happen all the time but will randomly do it at times. I am not sure what it is, nor what causes it. Any insight into this problem?

#2 ·
My EX runs pretty quiet/silent, without any knocking noise. I've often driven the car without the radio on, to get a feel for what the car 'normally' sounds like. There is a slight 'whirring' sound I hear from the electrical components, but not much else.

Some questions: How loud are the sounds you hear (e.g. faint vs obvious/noticeable)? Do you feel any vibrations when the sound occurs? Does it happen when both the gas engine and electric motor run, or just when one or the other runs? Does the sound happen when the car is cold, or after it has warmed up?

#6 ·
I personally think they are noticeable and well more felt than heard. Idk how to explain it but the best way I can is it feels like something is rolling under my seat and hitting the back of my foot. Obviously I’ve checked and there is nothing loose under my seat that would roll and I looked under the car and didn’t notice anything caught up.
I am not sure exactly which one I am in when it happens, I believe it’s the gas engine side more than the electric side. And it mostly happens when the engine is warm. It usually doesn’t happen when I first start driving but after a bit it will.

#4 ·
My wife has a knack for running over plastic bags and getting them stuck under her car. There is nothing under the floorboard that should knock unless something external got stuck there. Is the sound timing going along with wheel rotation?

#8 ·
I know what you're talking about!! :) :) :) It's nothing to worry about. Sometimes when the engine comes online - there may be a little kick back while starting.. It is at times noticeable, but nothing to worry about at all.. You will notice it as well when you are in park and the car has rolled into the locked position and you are idling.. When the engine comes on in this configuration - it will shake the whole car slightly. I really wouldn't worry too much about it.

#9 ·
Yes, I hear it.

Yes, I heard it couple of times in the past, but now I can repeat the sound everytime.
Move back or forward 6 inches or so and step on the brake just enough so that car rocks.
The video sound is from outside so it sounds more metallic, but from the inside of the car, it's more of hollow knocking sound. I have no idea where the sound is coming from and I feel I don't need to (or should not) do this too many times.

#10 ·
Yes, I heard it couple of times in the past, but now I can repeat the sound everytime.
Move back or forward 6 inches or so and step on the brake just enough so that car rocks.
The video sound is from outside so it sounds more metallic, but from the inside of the car, it's more of hollow knocking sound. I have no idea where the sound is coming from and I feel I don't need to (or should not) do this too many times.

https://youtu.be/TbP_u5qC6G0
Vid comes up as unavailable. Permissions?

#15 ·
That knock is not normal. It almost sounds like there is a brake pad that is loose in the caliper when you stop and the car rebounds. Let the dealer take a look.

#16 · (Edited)
Knock when accelerating from a stop

I have a single knock/clunk from in front of the driver area when starting out from a stop accelerating normally. It will not make the noise if I accelerate slowly. It is not tied to the engine turning on and can be felt and heard through the floor/brake pedal area. Brakes never make noise it is only accelerating. The car has 5k miles and is an ex.

#17 ·
I have a single knock/clunk from in front of the driver area when starting out from a stop accelerating normally. It will not make the noise if I accelerate slowly. It is not tied to the engine turning on and can be felt and heard through the floor/brake pedal area. Brakes never make noise it is only accelerating. The car has 5k miles and is an ex.
Welcome to the forum. Added your question to this thread, as it sounds like it might be related. Is the sound similar to the video posted above by @MinPin? If not, can you share video example of what you observe?

#23 ·
2020 EX, 7,600k miles
Anyone experience this?
I notice it when I am slowly reversing , and turning wheels, to back into my driveway - I'm also applying brakes when needed. A relatively loud "clunk" sound from somewhere under the car...Calipers, front end, I don't know, but since car is usually EV mode, it's very noticeable and makes me concerned. I'm going in today to get that new software update recall, so I'll mention it - but I bet they don't do anything, or just say they can't re-create noise. I hear it almost every time backing into driveway. Anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.