Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm kind of surprised the Insight doesn't have rear LED turn signals or LED reverse lamps on any trim level. I've really liked the look of these LED lights on other vehicles and really wanted to do it on my previous vehicle but just never made the jump. I finally did it with my Insight and I'm very pleased with the results. Turn signal bulbs were very easy to change, two screws that hold in the tail lamp housing and then a gentle tug to remove it. Be sure to have a towel or something to sit the housing on inside well so you don't have to remove all the bulbs and wires! Twist the bulb a quarter of a turn to loosen and gently pull the bulb out. Now, swap out your bulb and be sure to test it before reassembling just in case you have the bulb in backwards as polarity with LEDs does matter. These bulbs are advertised as no resistor needed and I did not use a resistor. I have tested these bulbs briefly and have not experienced any hyper flashing as of yet... and hopefully I won't!
LED turn signal bulbs I used are linked here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q8RZRZV/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_UPsjDbP73E8RW

As far as the LED reverse bulbs, they were quite easy to install as well. You do have to remove a few of the plastic clips holding on the trunk liner in order to access these bulbs but two or three on each side of the trunk lid should be sufficient in order to access these bulbs. With access to the bulbs behind the trunk liner, twist a quarter turn and gently pull the bulb out of the housing. Same with the turn signal bulbs, test the reverse bulbs as polarity with LEDs does matter then reassemble.
Reverse LED bulbs I used are linked here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CKQP830/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_7XsjDbZ68YSEV

Hopefully this will help someone who wants to make this small upgrade to their Insight! Please note, I have just installed these bulbs in my Insight so I have no information regarding bulb quality or longevity. However, I do have other Sylvania ZEVO LED bulbs used in the interior of my Insight and have had no issues with those. Better yet, Sylvania ZEVO LED bulbs do come with a lifetime warranty. I do feel good saying that the Sylvania bulbs are a good product as I have had a positive experience with them in my previous car and my current car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Awesome, been thinking of replacing all the "regular" bulbs at the rear end with leds. Thanks for being the guinea pig!

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Great. Just great. Now I need to go and do this. My only worry was hyper-flash, and you've shown me that is not a concern.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing update on the rear turn signal and back-up light, as an addendum to your original LED Interior Light thread! You were "iffy" on swapping them out 9 months ago, but methinks you have now become our forum LED go-to resource. :)
No Problem.... I was having so much trouble finding the right bulbs for the 2019 Insight. I ended up just getting what would go in an '18/'19 Civic but I was really hesitant to make the decision with no real solid answer on the bulb type/size. I had the Sylvania ZEVO LED bulbs on the interior map/dome/ and trunk lights of my 2014 Hyundai Elantra Limited and had great success with them! I knew I wanted LED interior lights on my '19 Insight but the fact of not being real sure on the bulb size didn't sit well with me. Glad it worked out and have been really happy with the results. :smile:

Doing the rear turn signals and reverse lights turned out to be a really easy process, 20 minutes.... if that! Cost was under around $50 to make a small, but (to me) upscale cosmetic change.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great. Just great. Now I need to go and do this. My only worry was hyper-flash, and you've shown me that is not a concern.
Haha! Better get em' changed! I really do think it gives an upscale/premium look to an already good looking car! :smile:

I too was quite concerned over the hyper-flash. The bulbs I bought off of Amazon, I bought them as they 1) Were advertised as no resistor needed and no hyper-flashing 2) Had over 4.5 stars and 130 reviews 3)One review on Amazon was written by a purchaser who put them in their 2019 Honda Insight and had no issues to report back.

I did actually let these flash continuously for 3:30 seconds to see if they would ever get to a point to where they would start hyper-flashing and they never did. So hopefully it won't ever be an issue!

·
Registered
158 Posts
@Johudso7

Thank you for pioneering this LED upgrade. I love the turn signal upgrade. Just placed my order. Can't wait to do the upgrade. That video looks great.

I didn't do the backups yet, but the turn signals needed this bright and tight upgrade.

Phil

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Hi all.

Thanks to @Johudso7 for the lead on a perfect LED replacement for the incandescent turn signal bulbs - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q8RZRZV/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_UPsjDbP73E8RW

I ordered the LED turn signal bulbs yesterday, and they showed up today. Installation is simple. Remove the two 8mm hex-head screws holding the lens housing in and tilt the assembly outward and up to pop the two plastic pins and release the entire assembly. Twist the turn signal bulb socket 1/4 turn to free it, pull out the old bulb and press in the new. I didn't have an issue with polarity as both of mine worked the first try, but you may need to reverse the bulb if it doesn't light the first time. Reassembly is the exact reverse of removal.

The four attached photos are of the old and new bulbs for comparison, two photos of the packaging, and one photo of the new turn signal bulb installed. Here are three videos for comparison using the four-ways to light everything up.

Before LED upgrade:

Right side LED install complete, left side undone:

Both sides LED upgrade complete:

This is definitely a worthwhile upgrade. The bulbs are much brighter, and the look is much cleaner. It only takes a minute or two per side. I intend to hit the backup lights next.

Thanks [email protected] !

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Are these blinding bright? They look too bright on camera at least..
Brighter than stock since there is no incandescent heat-up/cool-down, but not blinding. The bulbs set in the housing tilted slightly up, so the projector lens of the bulb is not pointing straight backwards. If that were the case, they might be considered blinding if not for the taillight assembly lens diffuser. As they set post-upgrade, they are more viable but not to the point of being annoying. I'm not sure how they will hold up over time, so I've kept the old bulbs in the event a switch-back is necessary. I hope it doesn't come to that - I really like these bulbs. Believe it or not, my initial fear was that they wouldn't be bright enough!

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Good evening all!

My backup light bulbs arrived in only one day from Amazon. Installation was a breeze, and I had no issues with polarity. I guess I got them in the right way the first time 'round. The only "difficult" area for installation is removing the panel from the trunk door. You'll need to separate the two top pieces of each plug to get them loose. If you have a panel tool, it will work to get between them. DO NOT try to pry from underneath the panel - you'll likely break the plastic pins.

Thanks again to member @Johudso7 for providing a lead to the perfect-fitting LED replacements!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CKQP830/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_7XsjDbZ68YSEV

·
Registered
36 Posts
On a similar note, the main brake light bulbs on the taillight seem to also be incandescent. Has anyone replaced those with a LED alternative?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oxilam LED Rear Turn Signals:

After seeing this message thread back in July I purchased them.
There has not been any hyperflashing or complaints about being too bright from other drivers (from what I can tell)
The best $20 I've spent and it completes the elegant lighting look.

For interior and reverse bulds I use LEDs from https://www.precisionled.com
I've used them on my '17 Civic and my wife's '19 HR-V

Rich

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just finished replacing the rear turn signals and reverse lights and I'm very satisfied with the results! Since I haven't seen this posted yet, here is a side by side comparison of the reverse lights. Left side is stock, right side is the LED. It's a little hard to tell in the video, but the LED light is much whiter and "modern" looking, and noticeably brighter. These are the LEDs bought off amazon from Johudso's original post

·
Registered
30 Posts
The signal lights in the OP don't exist anymore. Does anyone have a new recommendation for a LED with the resistor built-in?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts