Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone know what bulb size is for the turn signal? Looking to buy some LED ones. [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/images/NO_BRAND/smilies/tango_face_crying.png[/img]
Yeah i bought some the other day. Was a pain in the ass to see what they were, no one could help me. Turns out they're 7440. I bought mine from Amazon for 27 bucks and they didn't need a resister. So far so good

·
Registered
17 Posts
Adding LED Lights

Want to add LED lights to rear License Plate and over head console light

Suggestions and where do I find them please:smile:

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
The License Plate bulb is already LED, per the Owners Manual (page 578). The Back-Up Lights and Rear Turn Signal Lights are the only non-LED exterior lights (page 652).

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,612 Posts
Yeah i bought some the other day. Was a pain in the ass to see what they were, no one could help me. Turns out they're 7440. I bought mine from Amazon for 27 bucks and they didn't need a resister. So far so good
Can you post the Amazon link to what you bought? I'm leery of introducing hyper-flash and would like to go with something someone has proven to work properly.

Thanks!

Don

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wondered why Insight uses the incandescent bulb for the rear turning signal, and as it turns out Nissan also uses an incandescent bulb for the same location.

I finally found the reason in the Nissan Murano Forum.

See the article:

Most importantly, you need to be aware that your turn signals are safety devices; Changing the luminary (ie, swapping out the incandescent bulb with a drop-in LED unit) of a vehicle's exterior light is unsafe, ineffective and illegal in nearly all of the developed countries, no matter how well they work. If you care to know the reason, read the following quote from an automotive lighting regulatory expert speaking on the subject of LED drop-ins: LED Drop-Ins
Quote:
Bulb-type lamps (brake light, tail light, parking light, turn signal, sidemarker, DRL, whatever) rely on a point source of light, a glowing filament, that radiates more or less equally in all directions -- a sphere of light -- collecting and distributing that light with optics in the lens and/or reflector. A group of highly directional emitters (LEDs) arranged in a tower/pyramid/globe/whatever formation cannot even come close to approximating such a sphere of light, so the light distribution from bulb-type lamps equipped with "LED bulbs" is seriously compromised and never manages to meet even the minimum legal performance requirements (Yes: NEVER. I say that with confidence, having spent many hours testing many combinations of numerous "LED bulbs" in numerous bulb-type vehicle lighting devices). And that will continue to be the case even when such "LED bulbs" put out an amount of light that begins to approach the luminous flux of the intended bulb — which they presently do not. Just peering at the operating lamp and saying "Ayup, that looks bright enough to me" doesn't cut it. Just like with "HID kits" in halogen headlights, the problem with "LED bulbs" is at the concept level, not the implementation level. Consider: The only LED light source intended for use in imaging-optic systems (along the lines of bulb-type car lights) is Osram's Joule, which is currently used in the high-spec Chevrolet Malibu brake/tail/turn light and in several Ford-made vehicles. Its chief engineer tells me they did many millions of dollars' worth of extensive testing and development trying to arrive at a true drop-in for a bulb, that would let OEMs (and maybe eventually end users) retrofit LED light sources in place of bulbs without having to re-engineer or replace any of the optics. The closest they could come was meeting minimal requirements in about 1/3 of the lamps they tested that greatly exceeded the minimum requirements when equipped with the intended filament bulb. Now: d'ya really think some shoestring back-alley hack shop in China selling their stuff on eBay and on websites marketing bling to kids ("JDMtoys"...use your brain, please) is doing better than the well-funded, fully-equipped and excellently-staffed Osram Opto Semiconductors...? Of course they are not. And that's without even considering the thermal issues with LEDs. There is not even minimally adequate heat sinking in the "LED bulbs". Consider that an OE LED brake lamp is doing well to have 90% lumen maintenance after 10 minutes' continuous runtime — this loss in output, and the gain with ambient cold/loss with ambient heat, are compensated for in the basic design — and think about what's going to happen to the already-grossly-inadequate output of a bulb-type brake light equipped with one of these "LED bulbs" once your foot has been on the brake longer than about 60 seconds. C'mon, think about it: they're safety devices we're talking about here, not toys. Leave 'em alone
and let 'em do their job. If you just gotta have LEDs, build a custom bumper or fascia or light assembly incorporating reputably-made modular LED lamp units. "LED bulbs" -- any of them, all of them -- just plain and simply do not work safely or adequately. (The Joule was released, of course, but only as a light source to be designed into newly-engineered optics. It's working out very well in that kind of service.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, I decided on the Sylvania Zevo 194 Bulbs as those are the same brand I had in my Hyundai previously. The fade is important too.... Looks classy! Hopefully these bulbs I ordered do that or I just might switch to the Philips ones like you have. Thanks for that info!

I've thought about that... Im kinda iffy on it. The reverse lights, do you have to take the entire rear assembly out to do so? The rear LED turn signals, I would worry about hyper flash and I don't feel comfortable installing any form of resistor. Know of any one who installed LED rear turn signals that had any experience using resistors or maybe even had success without them?
That is a project I intend on doing and it's not that difficult according to the Owner's Manual (15 min job). I need help identifying a suitable Amber LED Bulb though. The Backup Lights can definitely be replaced with an LED T/16.

Insight Backup Lights = 2xBulb (T16, 12v, 16W)
Replace with possibly >> Philips 6000K 921/T16 LED Xenon White 12V Super Bright Backup Reverse Light Bulb .... OR is that overkill? :grin:

#2 Option: Calais 921 912 LED Reverse Light Bulbs Super Bright LED 921 T15 T16 W16W CREE Chip 6500K White

Marker Lamp Bulb = 2xBulb, Wedge (12v 21W) Amber

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I honestly do not like the amber colored bulb inside the rear tail light assembly. I used to have a 2000 celica (RIP) and it had nasty amber bulbs in the front head light assembly. Back then i was able to find chrome colored bulbs, that burned amber, and when off, just looked like chrome. I want to do this to my insight rear turn signal bulbs.
Just have to find Insight bulb type but they were similar to this
https://www.amazon.com/3157-3057-3357-Chrome-Amber/dp/B0090NF8AK

·
Registered
43 Posts
I honestly do not like the amber colored bulb inside the rear tail light assembly.
I'm with you on the ugly amber bulb, but someone posted an Expert Engineer response to why these bulbs should NOT be LED and it is worth more than an astute observation as there is real-world engineering behind the thinking. I'm going to leave the Amber alone because of that post. However, the backup lights need to be LED for me which is my next project.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm with you on the ugly amber bulb, but someone posted an Expert Engineer response to why these bulbs should _NOT_ be LED and it is worth more than an astute observation as there is real-world engineering behind the thinking. I'm going to leave the Amber alone because of that post. However, the backup lights need to be LED for me which is my next project.
Yes, I understand the LED and how it shines is an issue. But the chrome tinted bulb that shines amber is available in the incandescent type. That's what I'll be getting :wink:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello all!

I'm kind of surprised the Insight doesn't have rear LED turn signals or LED reverse lamps on any trim level. I've really liked the look of these LED lights on other vehicles and really wanted to do it on my previous vehicle but just never made the jump. I finally did it with my Insight and I'm very pleased with the results. Turn signal bulbs were very easy to change, two screws that hold in the tail lamp housing and then a gentle tug to remove it. Be sure to have a towel or something to sit the housing on inside well so you don't have to remove all the bulbs and wires! Twist the bulb a quarter of a turn to loosen and gently pull the bulb out. Now, swap out your bulb and be sure to test it before reassembling just in case you have the bulb in backwards as polarity with LEDs does matter. These bulbs are advertised as no resistor needed and I did not use a resistor. I have tested these bulbs briefly and have not experienced any hyper flashing as of yet... and hopefully I won't!
LED turn signal bulbs I used are linked here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q8RZRZV/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_UPsjDbP73E8RW

As far as the LED reverse bulbs, they were quite easy to install as well. You do have to remove a few of the plastic clips holding on the trunk liner in order to access these bulbs but two or three on each side of the trunk lid should be sufficient in order to access these bulbs. With access to the bulbs behind the trunk liner, twist a quarter turn and gently pull the bulb out of the housing. Same with the turn signal bulbs, test the reverse bulbs as polarity with LEDs does matter then reassemble.
Reverse LED bulbs I used are linked here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CKQP830/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_7XsjDbZ68YSEV

Hopefully this will help someone who wants to make this small upgrade to their Insight! Please note, I have just installed these bulbs in my Insight so I have no information regarding bulb quality or longevity. However, I do have other Sylvania ZEVO LED bulbs used in the interior of my Insight and have had no issues with those. Better yet, Sylvania ZEVO LED bulbs do come with a lifetime warranty. I do feel good saying that the Sylvania bulbs are a good product as I have had a positive experience with them in my previous car and my current car.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,612 Posts
Great. Just great. Now I need to go and do this. My only worry was hyper-flash, and you've shown me that is not a concern.

Reactions: Johudso7

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for sharing update on the rear turn signal and back-up light, as an addendum to your original LED Interior Light thread! You were "iffy" on swapping them out 9 months ago, but methinks you have now become our forum LED go-to resource. :)
No Problem.... I was having so much trouble finding the right bulbs for the 2019 Insight. I ended up just getting what would go in an '18/'19 Civic but I was really hesitant to make the decision with no real solid answer on the bulb type/size. I had the Sylvania ZEVO LED bulbs on the interior map/dome/ and trunk lights of my 2014 Hyundai Elantra Limited and had great success with them! I knew I wanted LED interior lights on my '19 Insight but the fact of not being real sure on the bulb size didn't sit well with me. Glad it worked out and have been really happy with the results. :smile:

Doing the rear turn signals and reverse lights turned out to be a really easy process, 20 minutes.... if that! Cost was under around $50 to make a small, but (to me) upscale cosmetic change.

Reactions: evers

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great. Just great. Now I need to go and do this. My only worry was hyper-flash, and you've shown me that is not a concern.
Haha! Better get em' changed! I really do think it gives an upscale/premium look to an already good looking car! :smile:

I too was quite concerned over the hyper-flash. The bulbs I bought off of Amazon, I bought them as they 1) Were advertised as no resistor needed and no hyper-flashing 2) Had over 4.5 stars and 130 reviews 3)One review on Amazon was written by a purchaser who put them in their 2019 Honda Insight and had no issues to report back.

I did actually let these flash continuously for 3:30 seconds to see if they would ever get to a point to where they would start hyper-flashing and they never did. So hopefully it won't ever be an issue!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts