Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question to everyone is what modifications have you done to the interior to make you car that more comfy feeling. I mean since I got my car the modifications or upgrades I have done are;
So I drive a lot with my hands holding the steering wheel at 7 o’clock and 5 o’clock position (roughly) and I can rest my right elbow on the center pad but my left elbow has no where to hang. I usually rest it on the upper side of door panel (which is very uncomfortable). So I’ve decided to work with a local plastics fabricator to build something that will fit in opening near the window controls ( behind window controls ) and swivel in and out; meaning you could turn it inward so it’ll lock in place over that pad next to opening so it’s locked and secure and swivel it out so you can rest your left elbow/arm on when you are holding the steering wheel the way I mentioned.

The plastic would have to be tough enough to support your elbow/arm resting on it but be able to shatter in case somebody hits you on driver side. I was thinking about getting the fabricator to also have it be able to adjust up and down after you swivel it out so you can rest your elbow lower or higher. Also, I would need to wrap it up in a cushion or something so it’s comfortable and if it shatters, the pieces are contained.

Anyone have any additional ideas/recommendations to add?

btw, if anyone is interested I can make more than 1 and you would just have to pay at cost for it plus shipping. + I could probably get a discount if I make a lot.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
So I drive a lot with my hands holding the steering wheel at 7 o’clock and 5 o’clock position (roughly) and I can rest my right elbow on the center pad but my left elbow has no where to hang. I usually rest it on the upper side of door panel (which is very uncomfortable). So I’ve decided to work with a local plastics fabricator to build something that will fit in opening near the window controls ( behind window controls ) and swivel in and out; meaning you could turn it inward so it’ll lock in place over that pad next to opening so it’s locked and secure and swivel it out so you can rest your left elbow/arm on when you are holding the steering wheel the way I mentioned.
A prior thread on In-Car Laptop Stand comes to mind. While not exactly the same intended use, there might be something off-the-shelf and adjustable like this that could be used for the alternate purpose of arm rest.

These examples on Amazon are designed to mount in cup holder and hold food, but maybe they could attach to the interior door handle area and be used as an arm/elbow shelf instead (?). Or if they don't work out to rest the arm, they offer pretty good storage/use otherwise.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason I went with plastics fabrication is because 1) I could use my own measurements and make a perfect fitting device. Something that will fit tight in the opening and not pop out ( I could even possibly use double sided tape to secure it). 2) I wanted to use a plastic that could shatter if someone were to T-Bone you on driver side door and the device lunges into your ribs.

plus all those devices you listed have to be removed and can’t swivel back and be tucked away if you want to stop using them ( which kind of makes it a hassle if you use it alot )

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
The reason I went with plastics fabrication is because 1) I could use my own measurements and make a perfect fitting device. Something that will fit tight in the opening and not pop out ( I could even possibly use double sided tape to secure it). 2) I wanted to use a plastic that could shatter if someone were to T-Bone you on driver side door and the device lunges into your ribs.
Yep, the other options are more temporary... options I'd choose myself for a long road trip, since I don't spend as much time in my car as you. Let us know how your install turns out. How long does it take to fabricate, and what's the estimated starting cost before volume discount?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure on cost and time yet as I just recently proposed the idea to a fabricator but they said they could do it . Now I have to take measurements and design it myself and submit the design to them and they’ll make it.

I think it really comes in handy on those long trips. if anyone is interested in one , PM me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In my old car I had a racing seat, I ordered some metal foling arm rest that had a half-U bracket so it bolted under the seat and came up between the door and the seat and between the seat and the center console area, and you can flip it up so its out of the way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would be interested. I would prefer it was higher as I am often on the highway and I really like to have my left at 10 o'clock and leave my elbow on the top of the door panel. On this car it is very uncomfortable. I would like an arm rest that can be lifted from above the door close pull (say 3 inches above) and be able to be raised up to the top. I would want it be be aprox 3 inches wide and cushion topped. See this for a place to start from idea wise, and my two mock ups. Alterum F-150 SnapRest Armrest Extension - Camel T527482 (09-14 F-150) - Free Shipping

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
This is just me assuming but... Wouldn't putting your arm up high there have some sort of safety risk(shattered glass, side airbags, or your arm bending in a weird way) in an accident like a t-bone?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be interested. I would prefer it was higher as I am often on the highway and I really like to have my left at 10 o'clock and leave my elbow on the top of the door panel. On this car it is very uncomfortable. I would like an arm rest that can be lifted from above the door close pull (say 3 inches above) and be able to be raised up to the top. I would want it be be aprox 3 inches wide and cushion topped. See this for a place to start from idea wise, and my two mock ups. Alterum F-150 SnapRest Armrest Extension - Camel T527482 (09-14 F-150) - Free Shipping View attachment 5695 View attachment 5696
That’s a good place to start. Perhaps modify it so it’ll swivel out and move up and down by adding more plastic and moving components.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Maybe buy a replacement used door card on ebay for cheap, and you can mold in the extra arm rest area you want then wrap over it in whatever material and then can always go back stock if you need to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts