Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a tire store that does business in New England that offers lifetime 4-wheel alignment for $200(waiting to see if they offer a Black Friday promo). I have read about lifetime alignment from pepboys and firestone but the reviews for those stores are really bad. The VIP auto nearest to Boston currently has a 4.6 out of 5 stars on Google.

https://www.vipauto.com/service/4-wheel-alignment/
https://www.vipauto.com/service-warranty/

The Honda dealership near me charges $80 when they offer a coupon and I think the regular price is $90.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
I guess it ultimately comes down to how often you anticipate wheel alignment to be needed (e.g. potholes, wear and tear) and how long you plan to keep the car since you're pre-paying for future services.

On one hand, the average person probably doesn't get alignments nearly enough, waiting until other symptoms like worn tires or braking issues occur. But if your tires are wearing evenly within one or two 32nds you probably don't need these regular alignments. Personally, based on wear conditions, I've only done realignments when changing out all four tires.

The shop won't make much money on the alignment contract, and the skeptic in me says the shop ultimately benefits because they can find/report/upsell other repair suggestions during your regular visit.

Also, are there any conditions specified for how 'lifetime' is defined? Like once you change your tires, does the 'lifetime' restart where a new contract is needed?

·
Super Moderator
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it ultimately comes down to how often you anticipate wheel alignment to be needed (e.g. potholes, wear and tear) and how long you plan to keep the car since you're pre-paying for future services.

On one hand, the average person probably doesn't get alignments nearly enough, waiting until other symptoms like worn tires or braking issues occur. But if your tires are wearing evenly within one or two 32nds you probably don't need these regular alignments. Personally, based on wear conditions, I've only done realignments when changing out all four tires.

The shop won't make much money on the alignment contract, and the skeptic in me says the shop ultimately benefits because they can find/report/upsell other repair suggestions during your regular visit.

Also, are there any conditions specified for how 'lifetime' is defined? Like once you change your tires, does the 'lifetime' restart where a new contract is needed?
I agree this is a tactic to get you into the store so they can do a "checkup" on your car. The google reviews for VIP are leading me to believe they're at least not sketchy compared to pepboys/firestone though. The terms of the lifetime contract are listed in the 2nd link in my post. Lifetime is for the vehicle and can't be transferred to the next owner when I asked them for a quote.The potholes here can get really bad during the winter and into the spring. I'm planning on keeping the Insight 8-10 years so I will definitely get my $200 worth just not sure if there is any gotchas I need to look out for. VIP seems to have started out in Maine so maybe @Verdier is familiar with this tire store.

·
Registered
554 Posts
VIP is ok. Nothing special. They will try to find other problems with the car during their inspection, but, if your a wise consumer, you should be able to separate the real from the crap. A lot of what they might offer is in the vein of preemptive work but nothing to weird. I think it might be worth it to try out the lifetime alignment. They seem to do good alignments, and here in the Northeast, potholes are a very big problem. I like to have my alignment check at least once a year. Overdue on Ruby so thanks for the reminder.

·
Super Moderator
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
VIP is ok. Nothing special. They will try to find other problems with the car during their inspection, but, if your a wise consumer, you should be able to separate the real from the crap. A lot of what they might offer is in the vein of preemptive work but nothing to weird. I think it might be worth it to try out the lifetime alignment. They seem to do good alignments, and here in the Northeast, potholes are a very big problem. I like to have my alignment check at least once a year. Overdue on Ruby so thanks for the reminder.
My Insight is still tracking straight so I'm going to hold off until a promo or when I need one to go in. With my previous cars I usually get an alignment somewhere between 1-2 years depending on how bad of a pothole season I had. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know Firestone offers Lifetime alignments for $99 usually their New Years Special. Only thing you have to be cautious about is whether they’re honest folks. Sometimes places will tell you they can’t align the car because of some worn component ie: tie rod, ball joints etc. I had a reputable place tell me I had a worn part, took it to my mechanic and they were correct in their diagnosis. I had the part replaced and took it back and got it aligned.

Goodyear. offers a 3- year alignment program for $170. You can take it in every 6 months or 6k miles, whichever is first. So in essence 6 times for $170 or $28.33 each time. The Goodyear place I go to is reputable and I found it well worth it for my cars as I would take advantage of every 6 months.

·
Super Moderator
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know Firestone offers Lifetime alignments for $99 usually their New Years Special. Only thing you have to be cautious about is whether they’re honest folks. Sometimes places will tell you they can’t align the car because of some worn component ie: tie rod, ball joints etc. I had a reputable place tell me I had a worn part, took it to my mechanic and they were correct in their diagnosis. I had the part replaced and took it back and got it aligned.

Goodyear. offers a 3- year alignment program for $170. You can take it in every 6 months or 6k miles, whichever is first. So in essence 6 times for $170 or $28.33 each time. The Goodyear place I go to is reputable and I found it well worth it for my cars as I would take advantage of every 6 months.
I saw the FireStone $99 lifetime alignment promo last year. Almost bought until reading the google/yelp reviews for the shops nearby made me go NOPE.

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/tiredealeroftheyear/winner/2018
^I found this article about VIP tires and they seem like a decent company. @Verdier said they do good alignments and the one closest to me have good reviews. I'm willing to give them a shot when I need an alignment or a promo for the lifetime alignment comes around. :smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts