Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm new to the forum (got my EX 2 days ago!) so apologize for any ways I may be using it improperly! I have a question related to lifetime MPG. Mine right now looks dismal probably because of all the time the salespeople have left it idling (in Wisconsin cold weather) while showing all the settings & features to prospective buyers. Can that be reset? Or am I stuck using one of the Trip meters for a more accurate measure of MY lifetime MPG? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Hi there, I'm new to the forum (got my EX 2 days ago!) so apologize for any ways I may be using it improperly! I have a question related to lifetime MPG. Mine right now looks dismal probably because of all the time the salespeople have left it idling (in Wisconsin cold weather) while showing all the settings & features to prospective buyers. Can that be reset? Or am I stuck using one of the Trip meters for a more accurate measure of MY lifetime MPG? Thanks!
Hi Nicole.

Start tracking your mileage on fuelly.com. You'l get an accurate result since the in-car indicator can be off by a mile or two. I disregarded the initial tank of fuel since my dealer didn't fill the tank completely at acquisition. Welcome!

Don

·
Registered
455 Posts
Average Lifetime MPG

I was also getting about 37MPG average for the first 800 miles or so (touring model, eco mode), but that number improved so I'm guessing there is some kind of break-in period with these cars. I'm now at 9k miles and my lifetime average mileage is about 43MPG (80% highway miles). I do see some rural driving trips as high as 70MPG, but my frequent highway miles, especially in mountainous areas really drag down my average.
Can I ask how you’re getting your lifetime average mileage? I can’t figure any way to get it other than manually keeping track.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can I ask how you’re getting your lifetime average mileage? I can’t figure any way to get it other than manually keeping track.
Oh, yeah for that I just never reset one of the A/B trip meters and that works well for tracking the lifetime mileage via the trip average mileage. Trying to make sure I don't accidentally reset that one and lose that tracking.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Oh, yeah for that I just never reset one of the A/B trip meters and that works well for tracking the lifetime mileage via the trip average mileage. Trying to make sure I don't accidentally reset that one and lose that tracking.
I do the same as quarklemotion, but read in other threads that the trip meter (and other features) may get lost or reset after a system update like the camera recall issue. I'm also tracking offline/separately, in case this reset occurs.

Reference thread: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/562-2019-honda-insight-recalls/348-rear-camera-software-recall-2.html

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
By default, the car is delivered with Trip A and Trip B requiring manual reset.

There is option to change it to reset 'when refueled' or 'when ignition turns off.' And it's also possible that the dealer (or owner) adjusted the reset timing for the Trip meter(s)... but keep in mind that the original factory setting is based on manual intervention.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
"Range" is the total estimated miles left in the current tank of fuel. This number is independent/unrelated to any trip meter.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
So it's the current MPG since the Last Fill Up ? Overall, Car Life MPG is NOT displayed there.
It is the MPG since that particular trip meter was last reset. By default, none automatically reset. You can update when they automatically reset in the vehicle settings screen. As an example, I have the 'A' meter reset at ignition-off so I can track each drive, and the 'B' meter resets at full fill-up to track each tank. There is no method of tracking lifetime mileage unless you pick one trip meter and NEVER reset it. Since we ultimately will all mess up and reset one we didn't want to, it's best to track things outside of the car. Many of us keep track of fill-up data at Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG

It's a good place to keep track of and share your results as well as track any improvements you get via car break-in, modifications and driving style.

Don

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
There is no method of tracking lifetime mileage unless you pick one trip meter and NEVER reset it. Since we ultimately will all mess up and reset one we didn't want to, it's best to track things outside of the car. Many of us keep track of fill-up data at Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG
Agree with offline tracking! I choose old-school spreadsheet inspired by hasarad's original tracking example, but Fuelly is a great digital alternative. I like to use the 'A' meter to track each fuel-up, and 'B' meter to track lifetime mpg.

In addition to accidental reset by oneself, there's risk that the trip meter also gets reset if/when a firmware update occurs (as occurred for some when Rear Camera Software Recall occurred).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts