Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: DO NOT DO THIS UPGRADE! Details why are at the end of this thread.

So, I did a thing today. A few weeks ago I ordered a new rear emblem (ships from overseas, so it takes time to arrive). I had previously backed the stock emblem with a piece of blue vinyl that @Insightful sent me. It turned out nice, but I wanted more!

I ordered the black emblem (98mm x 80mm) in the following link, and it arrived today.

https://www.raymaxgear.com/products/honda-led-jdm-red-emblem-type-r-for-2016-2018-civic-x-with-dual-color-options

It took about an hour to wire everything up, but it works as advertised. I tapped the black (to black) and yellow (to blue) wires for the license plate light, as well as the yellow wire (to red) for the rear deck light to make everything work. You WILL need to drill into the trim piece in order to run the wiring properly, but it's plastic, so there are no rust worries. I'll wait until dark to get a demo video, but I'm happy with the results. This has made my Insight more uniquerer. The emblem will light up when the running lights are on - blue unless braking, when it will turn red. If lights are off, it looks like a standard silver and black emblem.

I feel I may have jumped the shark here.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Quite uniquerer! The item description says the light doesn't turn on during daytime; is that correct, or does it illuminate when the running lights are on (i.e. whenever car is turned on)? Look forward to seeing your demo video.

#Sharknado

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quite uniquerer! The item description says the light doesn't turn on during daytime; is that correct, or does it illuminate when the running lights are on (i.e. whenever car is turned on)? Look forward to seeing your demo video.

#Sharknado
Sorry. I had too many beers last night to be doing car stuff.

The emblem only turns on when the running lights are on as it requires power from the running lights in order to turn blue. When power iis supplied from both the running lights and brake lights, it will turn red. With that said, you can hook the blue and red wires up how ever you'd like to have the light stay blue or only come on blue or red when you hit the brakes. I chose blue for running and red for brakes.

Will try to get outside this evening - weather permitting.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
The emblem only turns on when the running lights are on as it requires power from the running lights in order to turn blue. When power iis supplied from both the running lights and brake lights, it will turn red. With that said, you can hook the blue and red wires up how ever you'd like to have the light stay blue or only come on blue or red when you hit the brakes. I chose blue for running and red for brakes.
Interesting... thought the illumination would only happen when parking lights are on, since those wires were tapped. Do you think you'll make similar addition to the front to balance things out?

·
Registered
554 Posts

Interesting... thought the illumination would only happen when parking lights are on, since those wires were tapped. Do you think you'll make similar addition to the front to balance things out?
Glad someone else tried out the size before I ordered something like that. I did not want to be a guinea pig on that one.

I've been having trouble getting a good size reading on the front emblem to figure a proper one to order. The rear I want to paint to match the color of the car. Also I prefer it to be red in glow so it matches the rear lights all the time. Having something light in a different color in the rear like that can bring police attention and a ticket for a car with distracting lighting on it. I'm hoping to find a white lit one for the front. Happily I haven't been stopped for running the puddle lights while driving so I'm glad about that. They look Uber cool.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As promised - rear emblem upgrade nighttime photos! I took my daughter to dance class tonight, and my son helped me get a few photos by hitting the brakes in the parking lot. I like how it turned out!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
As promised - rear emblem upgrade nighttime photos! I took my daughter to dance class tonight, and my son helped me get a few photos by hitting the brakes in the parking lot. I like how it turned out!
:surprise:It actually looks better than the pixelated gif on the website. Are the red lights on the bottom a reflection or another mod you did?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:surprise:It actually looks better than the pixelated gif on the website. Are the red lights on the bottom a reflection or another mod you did?
That's a reflection. In person, everything looks even better.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Looks really good. The blue effect is reminiscent of a live/rolling version of the blue logo at US Honda dealers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Very Cool! Where is the light emitting from? Can you take a daytime closeup photo?

I’m guessing whether blue or red you can only see the colors at night and during the day you’ll only see a chrome emblem with a black back ground, correct?

Correction: I just saw the gifs and the emblem itself is the lighting. So even in daylight you can still see the colors. Can you still take a daytime photo please?

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very Cool! Where is the light emitting from? Can you take a daytime closeup photo?

I’m guessing whether blue or red you can only see the colors at night and during the day you’ll only see a chrome emblem with a black back ground, correct?

Correction: I just saw the gifs and the emblem itself is the lighting. So even in daylight you can still see the colors. Can you still take a daytime photo please?
It will only light up if the parking lights are on. Otherwise it's the basic-looking chrome/black emblem. I'd take a photo now, but Simcoe is filthy!

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
It will only light up if the parking lights are on. Otherwise it's the basic-looking chrome/black emblem. I'd take a photo now, but Simcoe is filthy!
Ah, okay. Makes sense that they only come on when parking lights, since you tapped into that wiring. Connection to 'running lights' were mentioned previously, which would mean always on.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Okay, so I had to edit the first post in this thread advising everyone to NOT DO THIS upgrade.

Today, on the way home from my daughter's dance class, it started to get dark. Of course, the auto-lights came on. Shortly thereafter, all **** broke loose inside the Insight:

The attached photos should give you an idea of how bad things were.

Not shown in the photos:

Third brake light was half-illuminated all the time.
Interior lights would not work.
Map lights would not work.
Steering assist warning came up on DII.
Brake system failure warning.

Me being me, I drove the 40 miles home anyway. The trip was uneventful with the exception of the warning repeating regularly in the DII. The third brake light clued me into the problem after my daughter (who's 12 by the way) mentioned if the issue may be due to the new LED emblem. Once we got home, I cracked a beer and disconnected it (way easier than installing it). Subsequent testing was uneventful, and the test drive (I had only had a sip of beer at that point) showed everything back to normal.

Three words - "Made in China"

Avoid this LED rear emblem. I'm going to see about returning it.

Signed,

Your faithful guinea pig.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
Okay, so I had to edit the first post in this thread advising everyone to NOT DO THIS upgrade.

Today, on the way home from my daughter's dance class, it started to get dark. Of course, the auto-lights came on. Shortly thereafter, all **** broke loose inside the Insight:

The attached photos should give you an idea of how bad things were.

Not shown in the photos:

Third brake light was half-illuminated all the time.
Interior lights would not work.
Map lights would not work.
Steering assist warning came up on DII.
Brake system failure warning.

Me being me, I drove the 40 miles home anyway. The trip was uneventful with the exception of the warning repeating regularly in the DII. The third brake light clued me into the problem after my daughter (who's 12 by the way) mentioned if the issue may be due to the new LED emblem. Once we got home, I cracked a beer and disconnected it (way easier than installing it). Subsequent testing was uneventful, and the test drive (I had only had a sip of beer at that point) showed everything back to normal.

Three words - "Made in China"

Avoid this LED rear emblem. I'm going to see about returning it.

Signed,

Your faithful guinea pig.
From what we know the Insight's electronics can go haywire when the AGM battery is starting to go bad. I wonder if the AGM battery went under heavy load with the LED emblem installed along with the other stuff drawing power from the AGM battery. So the Insight decided to turn off certain functions to preserve battery power.

My seemingly ridiculous plan to minimize power drain on the Insight by plugging my phone into a 1,000-mA-hr battery pack and a Bluetooth speaker, rather than use the onboard USB port and stereo, felt like a stroke of genius. I'd left the climate control off the entire drive to save energy. The rain and snow had forced me to use the headlights and wipers, but I turned off each whenever it was safe. All of the standard active safety systems were already off to save power, and if I could have turned off the infotainment screen, too, I would've. https://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/insight/2019/ford-fusion-honda-insight-hyundai-ioniq-hybrid-comparison/
Which makes me curious if reducing AGM battery usage improves fuel economy numbers by a decent margin as done by the above Motortrend driver.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From what we know the Insight's electronics can go haywire when the AGM battery is starting to go bad. I wonder if the AGM battery went under heavy load with the LED emblem installed along with the other stuff drawing power from the AGM battery. So the Insight decided to turn off certain functions to preserve battery power.
I firmly believe the emblem was defective. The third brake-light should not be on unless the pedal is depressed. In my case, it turned on when the parking lights were turned on. This was not the case during the first two days of use. Something went hayaire in the emblem. Once disconnected, all went back to normal. We'll see how my 100-mile round trip today turns out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's too bad. I liked the lit front emblem on the website but after my disaster in disabling the Pedestrian warning sound I'm gun shy to mess with the electrical stuff especially if it's not a sure bet. Thanks for testing it out first, curious to see what you try next!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts