Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@gremal, did you ever buy new wheels? Lighter wheels are definitely on my list of things I'm dying to try, along with a speaker replacement. Would think that lighter wheels mean less torque and improved fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
88 Posts
@gremal, did you ever buy new wheels? Lighter wheels are definitely on my list of things I'm dying to try, along with a speaker replacement. Would think that lighter wheels mean less torque and improved fuel efficiency.
I don't think wheel weight is as clear-cut an issue--definitely not the same as weight elsewhere in the vehicle. Maybe it takes more torque to get heavier wheels moving from a stop, but less torque to keep them moving, and more resistance to slow them (which can actually improve mileage in the Insight because resistance charges the battery). In any case, I think the differences are negligible for most drivers.

To answer your question, I have not yet gotten the Mugen wheels. I don't think they are lighter than the 16" EX wheels but they are definitely lighter than the 17" Touring wheels. If I get them it won't be because of weight but aesthetic preference. I'm having a tough time figuring out which ones are specific for the Insight, as there seems to be a very similar wheel made for the Mugen-ized Odyssey.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think wheel weight is as clear-cut an issue--definitely not the same as weight elsewhere in the vehicle. Maybe it takes more torque to get heavier wheels moving from a stop, but less torque to keep them moving, and more resistance to slow them (which can actually improve mileage in the Insight because resistance charges the battery). In any case, I think the differences are negligible for most drivers.
Agree that it is a little more complicated. I remember an earlier discussion in one of the spare tire threads, wherein the theory was that omitting the spare tire was a weight savings that Honda used to goose the MPG. But like others, when I put in my spare tire, I was hard-pressed to observe any fuel efficiency decrease. That's a permanent ~20 lb weight. And at any rate my passengers weigh 5X-8X that.

The regenerative braking does charge the battery, but the battery's charge also comes from running in series mode (when the ICE charges the battery). Not sure what fraction of the charge I use comes from gas vs. recovered energy from braking.

To answer your question, I have not yet gotten the Mugen wheels. I don't think they are lighter than the 16" EX wheels but they are definitely lighter than the 17" Touring wheels. If I get them it won't be because of weight but aesthetic preference. I'm having a tough time figuring out which ones are specific for the Insight, as there seems to be a very similar wheel made for the Mugen-ized Oddesey.
I really wish I knew what I was talking about when it came to wheels. If I do get this done I'll probably lean on the guys at Costco.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got 57.5 MPG last tankful on my "Touring" model last tankful. How much lighter is each wheel compared to the OEM's ?

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Below is a quick weight comparison on Sparco Assetta Garas vs OEM, based on info from Tire Rack. It's ~33 lb weight savings on the Touring, and ~22 lb weight savings on the LX/EX:

TOURING - 215/50R17 (OEM tire weight = 20.50 lb ea)
- OEM Wheel Wt = 27.0 lb ea (7J x 17 | 45 mm offset)
- GARA Wheel Wt = 18.8 lb ea

LX/EX - 215/55R16 (OEM tire weight = 19.95 lb ea)
- OEM Wheel Wt = 22.71 ea (7J x 16 | 45 mm offset)
- GARA Wheel Wt = 17.2 lb ea

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you can find the specs, check the weight of those rims vs. what you have now. Will tell you something about what to expect fuel economy wise. I believe the LX/EX 16" rims clock in at 22.7 pounds, while the 17" Touring rims are 27#.

In trying to understand the MPG differences between the Touring and the LX/EX models, I'm convinced the largest reason for the big highway MPG difference isn't so much the extra 100# of flair in the Touring as it is the 20% heavier rims the Touring runs, and that the Continental tires they are equipped with are more of a "touring" tire than the Michelin Energy Savers (which are geared towards maximum fuel efficiency.)

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
If you can find the specs, check the weight of those rims vs. what you have now. Will tell you something about what to expect fuel economy wise. I believe the LX/EX 16" rims clock in at 22.7 pounds, while the 17" Touring rims are 27#.

In trying to understand the MPG differences between the Touring and the LX/EX models, I'm convinced the largest reason for the big highway MPG difference isn't so much the extra 100# of flair in the Touring as it is the 20% heavier rims the Touring runs, and that the Continental tires they are equipped with are more of a "touring" tire than the Michelin Energy Savers (which are geared towards maximum fuel efficiency.)
See this thread for discussion on Touring versus LX/EX mpg including total wheel weight comparison (rims + tires)... and feel free to chime in with your thoughts there. :) - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/2...hy-does-touring-get-worse-mpg-then-ex-lx.html

·
Registered
431 Posts
If anyone is interested , these are the lightest 16” that I could find that fit the gen3 Inisght..

17 lbs! That’s a significant drop from the OEM 16” Insight wheels at 24.4 lbs.

Im really curious to see if there is any mpg improvement with switching to a significantly lighter wheel.. I’m tempted to buy aftermarket wheels but want to keep my exterior stock.

I wish I could borrow some really light 16” wheels just to test.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
If anyone is interested , these are the lightest 16” that I could find that fit the gen3 Inisght..

17 lbs! That’s a significant drop from the OEM 16” Insight wheels at 24.4 lbs.
Sounds like the 16" equivalent of the 17" Maxxim Winner wheels (plus lighter tires) @Jason installed on Touring. Based on other data shared, the weights on both the OEM and Maxxim wheels may even be 2-3 lbs lighter than you've listed above.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sounds like the 16" equivalent of the 17" Maxxim Winner wheels (plus lighter tires) @Jason installed on Touring. Based on other data shared, the weights on both the OEM and Maxxim wheels may even be 2-3 lbs lighter than you've listed above.
I got the 17lbs for the 16” Maxxim from America’s tire website .. it’s listed on their specs section for the wheels.

The weight of the OEM wheel is sourced from several sites through a Google search, so I went with 24 lbs.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I got the 17lbs for the 16” Maxxim from America’s tire website .. it’s listed on their specs section for the wheels.

The weight of the OEM wheel is sourced from several sites through a Google search, so I went with 24 lbs.
I just did a Google search for ‘2019 Honda Insight OEM wheel weight” and I’m not coming up with anything definitive or reliable as far as weight, especially nothing from Honda. I think the last time I searched, I got a listing that I’m not getting now that was 24.xx.

Now I’m actually wondering if the 16” OEM wheels are 22.xx lbs or 24.xx lbs. I’d like to know because I was considering aftermarket wheels that weigh 18 lbs but the difference from 24lbs->18lbs vs 22lbs->18lbs is somewhat significant.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Now I’m actually wondering if the 16” OEM wheels are 22.xx lbs or 24.xx lbs. I’d like to know because I was considering aftermarket wheels that weigh 18 lbs but the difference from 24lbs->18lbs vs 22lbs->18lbs is somewhat significant.
We've been referencing 27 lbs for Touring wheel weight (actual, measured) and 22.7 lbs for LX/EX wheel weight (OEM parts site). Haven't yet had someone mention removing and actually weighing the LX/EX tire yet. Maybe someone will share on next tire rotation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts