Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I find a little annoying with the safety package on our Insight is that the lane keeping assist defaults to "off" when I get in the car, I have to manually turn it on via my steering wheel control.

Our Outback is equipped with Subaru's equivalent, and it defaults to on (and works really well), and if you want to turn it off you have to manually do so.

Is it possible to change the settings in the Insight to also default to "on"?

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
The Subaru's LKAS made my mom think she had an alignment problem. It somehow got turned on without her knowing - and it stayed on. I found it the first time I drove it after she complained. I'd rather have it default to off every time. It's really only useful on the highway. Most of our driving is country roads. On a similar note, I've disabled my Insight's lane departure. Unlike the Subaru's, I found the Insight's to be too touchy to live with. Yes, I do occasionally cut corners on my country road drives :)

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
One thing I find a little annoying with the safety package on our Insight is that the lane keeping assist defaults to "off" when I get in the car, I have to manually turn it on via my steering wheel control.

Our Outback is equipped with Subaru's equivalent, and it defaults to on (and works really well), and if you want to turn it off you have to manually do so.

Is it possible to change the settings in the Insight to also default to "on"?
"LKAS is turned off every time you turn the power system off, even if you turned it on the last time you drove the vehicle" (OM p512).

LKAS also only works at speeds between 45-90 mph and other conditions (OM p511), and seems best matched when using ACC. Did the Outback's equivalent system operate at all/lower speeds?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our Outback's system will issue a mildly annoying couple of beeps, and flash the lane departure warning on the dash, if you cross the line at lower speeds (like a stretch of road near our house where cross the center line to avoid pot holes at 35-40 mph). At higher speeds it will do this and nudge the wheel and re-center the car. We set it to default on when we originally set the car up, and have just left it that way. You can disable it during a drive via a button on the dash, but it will start up again the next time you start the car unless you go into system settings and disable it.

I prefer the default to on system because when I really need it (like a late night drive back home from the coast, tired after a day of fishing) I will probably never remember to manually engage it.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Our Outback's system will issue a mildly annoying couple of beeps, and flash the lane departure warning on the dash, if you cross the line at lower speeds (like a stretch of road near our house where cross the center line to avoid pot holes at 35-40 mph). At higher speeds it will do this and nudge the wheel and re-center the car. We set it to default on when we originally set the car up, and have just left it that way. You can disable it during a drive via a button on the dash, but it will start up again the next time you start the car unless you go into system settings and disable it.

I prefer the default to on system because when I really need it (like a late night drive back home from the coast, tired after a day of fishing) I will probably never remember to manually engage it.
So... LKAS and RDM are different features in Honda Sensing. I think RDM sounds similar to the feature you're describing on the Outback (?).

LKAS provides steering input to keep the car centered in a lane, while RDM alerts and assists you when the system detects the car is crossing designated lane markings. Both are active from 45-90 mph.

RDM is on unless/until you turn it off. It stays in the last selected setting when the car is restarted.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
LKAS and RDM are separate features in the Insight. They do the same thing but are used for different situations. RDM is active all the time and is a safety feature. LKAS(actively controls the steering wheel) is optional and can be use with ACC active or off when traveling at speeds above 45mph.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
LKAS and RDM are separate features in the Insight. They do the same thing but are used for different situations. RDM is active all the time and is a safety feature. LKAS(actively controls the steering wheel) is optional and can be use with ACC active or off when traveling at speeds above 45mph.
The RDM feature sounds most comparable to what @Threeweight is looking for in comparison to the Subaru. As we both mentioned, it's always on but only active at 45-90 mph.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honda seems to be a little gun shy of criticism from "car guys" and car reviewers of their semi-autonomous systems. I've seen reviews that have been critical of how aggressive Honda's lane keeping assist is, but thus far I find it far less obtrusive than Subaru's.

There are a few things I find superior about the Subaru system (in addition to the lane keeping and rdm systems, their blind spot monitoring is superior as well). On the other hand, going back and forth between the two cars the big Subie really feels like an "old persons car." It has lots of great safety tech, but it seems designed to remove as much human oversight of the system as possible (maybe with the expectation that Subaru drivers are not generally techies).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts