Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking into the 2021 Insight Touring trim. Have a couple of questions:
1) I live on the east coast particularly in the New England area (Boston). I wonder if with its FWD, Insight handles the snow well?
2) What is the OTD price you paid for touring trim?
3) I want to do a lot of road trips. Is Insight a good option for me or should I look into others?
4) Do you get any Tax rebates for owning a Hybrid vehicle?
5) How is the maintenance and repairs cost with Insight? I heard you need to go to a special mechanic who knows how to deal with Hybrids.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
1) I live on the east coast particularly in the New England area (Boston). I wonder if with its FWD, Insight handles the snow well?
3) I want to do a lot of road trips. Is Insight a good option for me or should I look into others?
5) How is the maintenance and repairs cost with Insight? I heard you need to go to a special mechanic who knows how to deal with Hybrids.
Welcome to the forum. Some quick responses and cross-reference to threads below.
1) I wonder if with its FWD, Insight handles the snow well?
Generally good handling and the front/rear weight distribution helps. Even better handling with winter tires. - Winter Tire Strategy - Insight in Snow

Lowest mentioned OTD price in forum is ~26k, especially from buyers in Virginia. - Touring Pricing

It depends. The Insight gets lower mpg in highway driving (60+ mph) than city driving. And hills reduce fuel economy as well. In both instances, it relates to the gas engine running more to propel the car. But forum members have been generally satisfied taking the car cross-country.

Those rebates and other incentives are long gone for hybrids, now shifted to electric vehicles to motivate buyer behavior from low- to no-emissions. - Some discussion threads: Registration Renewal - Your Fees by State? -and- Any States Doing This - Extra Fees -and- HOV Access

Less overall maintenance than conventional cars, since some components (brakes, transmission) operate differently. Still need to do oil changes, which average ~10k mile interval for "high mileage" drivers. The Maintenance Minder advises the interval and actions needed. - Some discussion threads: Maintenance Schedule -and- Maintenance at dealership vs independent mechanic -and- High Mileage Club -and- 1st Oil Change

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,622 Posts
I've had a few discussions with my mechanic. In the end, and engine is an engine to him. The electric drive system may be foreign, but he said there should be less issues the Insight than with a conventional car. Follow the maintenance schedule, and it should last a good while. The fact it's a hybrid means many of the wear items, like brakes, will last well beyond those in a regular ICE-only car. There are stories of Pruises well exceeding 100K miles before brake service. The Insight should be no different. If the majority of your driving is highway, your ROI would depend on how fast you drive. As @insightfully mentioned, high speeds kill MPGs. If you constantly do 80+, an Insight may be no better as far as economy than a Civic. Also, since hybrids have gone mainstream, there are no rebates and such for purchasing one. Depending where you live, you may be able to ride in the HOV lane though.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts
Hi @ktpl,
I'm from Boston, too. 😄
  1. It handles snow well enough for me. Plow drivers do a good enough job where I drive.
  2. I own an EX and bought it 2 years ago so I'm not sure how much the latest model Touring Insight goes for. My best recommendation is to ask for quotes online from all the Honda dealerships you're willing to drive to that have a Touring Insight in stock. Compare the quotes and bounce the lowest offer around to see which dealership will beat it. Then repeat the process until you have one dealership left.
  3. Road trips I've done are to Western MA, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire. All of them done during the Summer so fuel economy was really good and the ACC(adaptive cruise control) feature came in handy.
  4. No tax rebates for the Insight. The only perk I know of for hybrid vehicles like the Insight in MA is that at Logan Airport you have access to prime parking spots where EVs park. Hybrid and Electric Vehicles
  5. The Insight's maintenance schedule doesn't look that much different than a regular gas vehicle. Oil change, Cabin filter change, Engine air filter change, Wipers, Brake fluid change, and Transmission fluid change should be about it for the first 3 years. The brake pads, coolant change, and spark plugs don't come until 100,000+ miles based on the 1 or 2 Insight owners that have already driven that many miles already. The car has been problem free for me the past 2 years besides an early rotor resurfacing due to brake noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts