Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if third-gen Insights can be serviced by independent shops (i.e., not Honda dealers)?

I know warranty work needs to be done at a dealer, but I'm wondering if non-warranty work can be done at independent shops. Or does the hybrid technology (different engine, battery+electric motor, etc.) prevent independent shops from doing most kinds of service?

·
Registered
455 Posts
That’s a good question. My thinking is that if it’s just routine, non-hybrid specific stuff, then any reputable independent should be able to do it. Things like brakes and oil changes. Otherwise I’d want someone who was trained to work on hybrids. Also, Honda calls out the use of very specific fluids, anti-freeze, brake fluid, etc. I highly doubt that most independents are using Honda OE for those.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That was my thinking, too -- any service that could be required on a non-hybrid almost certainly still can be done at an independent shop. However, service of the hybrid drivetrain -- engine, battery, components that connect them to the wheels, etc. -- is likely to be dealer-only. It's hard to imagine an independent shop being able to justify the extra expenses for training and tools, especially since much is likely to be specific to the Insight.

That's kind of a bummer in my opinion; I have a local shop I've used for a long time and would like to keep receiving (non-warranty) service there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, new to this forum.
Quick backstory: Purchased 2019 touring model this past June, traded in 2016 Jeep Cherokee.
First service performed on Insight this last week, roughly 10,500 miles in. Oil change, air filter replacement, cabin air filter replacement, and a tire rotation. Total cost (including taxes) $126.00 completely covered under Honda Care (interestingly I thought I had declined this add-on during purchase process, guess not?). Seems like my local dealership charges roughly $55 for full synthetic oil change & tire rotation, $23 for engine air filter replacement, and $43 for cabin air filter replacement.

I do have a question for some of you: would you take your Insight to a non-Honda service shop? Curious since I have a shop that I've taken my previous cars in to do routine maintenance. I'm weary of this time around since this vehicle is half-electric. Thoughts/opinions?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
Hi all, new to this forum.
Quick backstory: Purchased 2019 touring model this past June, traded in 2016 Jeep Cherokee.
First service performed on Insight this last week, roughly 10,500 miles in. Oil change, air filter replacement, cabin air filter replacement, and a tire rotation. Total cost (including taxes) $126.00 completely covered under Honda Care (interestingly I thought I had declined this add-on during purchase process, guess not?). Seems like my local dealership charges roughly $55 for full synthetic oil change & tire rotation, $23 for engine air filter replacement, and $43 for cabin air filter replacement.

I do have a question for some of you: would you take your Insight to a non-Honda service shop? Curious since I have a shop that I've taken my previous cars in to do routine maintenance. I'm weary of this time around since this vehicle is half-electric. Thoughts/opinions?
Welcome to the forum @Jawknee09 ! You probably bought Honda Care Maintenance(https://www.hondafinancialservices.com/static/pdf/Honda_Care_Maintenance.pdf) which is sort of like a prepaid maintenance contract. I wonder why your dealership changed out your cabin and engine air filter(was it extremely dirty?) already at just 10,500 miles. The full synthetic oil change and tire rotation seems like a fair price at $55. If you've Honda Care already paid for might as well let the dealership take care of it and you don't have to manage any service records for warranty service. Anything that needs repair but won't be cover under warranty I would take it to your personal repair shop for a second opinion.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
First service performed on Insight this last week, roughly 10,500 miles in. Oil change, air filter replacement, cabin air filter replacement, and a tire rotation.
[...]
It's a little early for engine air filter and cabin air filter replacement, but I'm guessing your dealer did that in consideration of 'severe' conditions from California wildfires and poor air quality (?). Replacement of those filter elements are recommended earlier than indicated by the Maintenance Minder, instead at 15k miles for 'severe' operating conditions.

There are non-Honda service shops that have experience with hybrids (e.g. Prius). The Insight has different nuances from the Prius but is related, and I'd be comfortable taking to a service shop with that type of experience. However, I plan to continue visiting the dealer until the warranties lapse for the car.

The standard warranty is 3 yr/36k miles and 8 yrs/100k miles for the hybrid battery, but since you live in California, you're within one of the 13 states for which extended Emissions warranty is automatically provided. The extended Emissions warranty increases coverage of hybrid/emissions components to 15 yr/150k miles and 10 yrs/150k miles for the hybrid battery. I'm also in one of the 13 'extended coverage' states so I plan to continue taking my car back to dealer for quite a while...

Here are some links related to the Extended Emissions Warranty, if you're interested in learning more:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Jawknee09 ! You probably bought Honda Care Maintenance(https://www.hondafinancialservices.com/static/pdf/Honda_Care_Maintenance.pdf) which is sort of like a prepaid maintenance contract. I wonder why your dealership changed out your cabin and engine air filter(was it extremely dirty?) already at just 10,500 miles. The full synthetic oil change and tire rotation seems like a fair price at $55. If you've Honda Care already paid for might as well let the dealership take care of it and you don't have to manage any service records for warranty service. Anything that needs repair but won't be cover under warranty I would take it to your personal repair shop for a second opinion.

@andrew28 thank you for your take on my question. I guess it is early for air filters, but the replacements were recommended and covered with my (nifty?) maintenance contract. Extremely pleased as a new-comer to Honda!

It's a little early for engine air filter and cabin air filter replacement, but I'm guessing your dealer did that in consideration of 'severe' conditions from California wildfires and poor air quality (?). Replacement of those filter elements are recommended earlier than indicated by the Maintenance Minder, instead at 15k miles for 'severe' operating conditions.

There are non-Honda service shops that have experience with hybrids (e.g. Prius). The Insight has different nuances from the Prius but is related, and I'd be comfortable taking to a service shop with that type of experience. However, I plan to continue visiting the dealer until the warranties lapse for the car.

The standard warranty is 3 yr/36k miles and 8 yrs/100k miles for the hybrid battery, but since you live in California, you're within one of the 13 states for which extended Emissions warranty is automatically provided. The extended Emissions warranty increases coverage of hybrid/emissions components to 15 yr/150k miles and 10 yrs/150k miles for the hybrid battery. I'm also in one of the 13 'extended coverage' states so I plan to continue taking my car back to dealer for quite a while...

Here are some links related to the Extended Emissions Warranty, if you're interested in learning more:
I’ve been reading similar experiences in regards to the air filter replacements... only thing I can add is that the service advisor said those services were recommended under the Honda care contract. I appreciate the feedback on the warranties, and your take on dealer/non-dealer servicing! For the time being, I will use the Honda care contract for as long as it’s valid.

·
Registered
206 Posts
@andrew28 thank you for your take on my question. I guess it is early for air filters, but the replacements were recommended and covered with my (nifty?) maintenance contract. Extremely pleased as a new-comer to Honda!
I’ve been reading similar experiences in regards to the air filter replacements... only thing I can add is that the service advisor said those services were recommended under the Honda care contract. I appreciate the feedback on the warranties, and your take on dealer/non-dealer servicing! For the time being, I will use the Honda care contract for as long as it’s valid.
Went to dealer at 10k for oil change. I requested air filter be checked due to duster than usual. Advisor said they ordinarily replace them at 30k. Tech recommended replacement, so they had to order it, as it wasn't in stock. The oil change was $54.95 (oil type unknown, but I change it frequently so premium synthetic not needed)

. I returned days later. They put a new air filter in. I've had bad experiences with dirty air filters in the past. The filter for this car seems about half the size of others I've seen, and is placed in the middle of what looks like an air sealed tube. The old filter was a little dusty. I cleaned and vacuumed it and put it in the truck next to the tire patching kit, for future use. The new filter was $23.95, no charge for the 30 seconds it took to put it in. Insghtfully reports owners manual recommends air filter change at 15k in dusty conditions. Given the small size of the filter this seems reasonable, to me. While the dealer's prices seem high, compared to others on this thread, I'm pleased to see that their actually similar or lower!

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's easy enough to get pricing on simple oil changes and compare my local Honda dealerships vs local oil change places, but I've been having a hard time finding prices for Honda's regular maintenance services to compare between dealers and independent shops.

For example, if the Honda Maintenance Minder throws a B code, then you'd need to: Replace the Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Inspect Front and Rear Brakes, Check the Parking Brake Adjustment, Inspect other items specific to the Vehicle.

For those of you who have driven long enough to be getting your routine maintenance (past just oil change w/ filter), where have you been getting it done? What has the pricing been like?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
I think maintenance B is $90 at my Honda dealership. The dealerships don't really list their service pricing online to prevent comparison shopping. With my previous Honda vehicles I just did oil change and tire rotations for B. Most of the maintenance B stuff is a visual check and some of it is done on the free multi-point inspection. I haven't decide on if I will go with the full maintenance B with the Insight.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
It's easy enough to get pricing on simple oil changes and compare my local Honda dealerships vs local oil change places, but I've been having a hard time finding prices for Honda's regular maintenance services to compare between dealers and independent shops.

For example, if the Honda Maintenance Minder throws a B code, then you'd need to: Replace the Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Inspect Front and Rear Brakes, Check the Parking Brake Adjustment, Inspect other items specific to the Vehicle.

For those of you who have driven long enough to be getting your routine maintenance (past just oil change w/ filter), where have you been getting it done? What has the pricing been like?
I'll start by saying that I don't yet have enough miles on car to be at B service, and that my Insight is covered by lifetime limited warranty that the dealer included with all cars sold. I don't have experience with B service yet, and plan to continue taking my car to dealer given the warranty coverage.

However, some Honda dealers are open about pricing. Here are a few results that came up when I googled "Honda service pricing menu":
- Marietta, GA - https://www.edvoyleshonda.com/service-price-menu/
- Toledo, OH - https://www.brownhonda.com/maintenaince-menus.htm
- Flagstaff, AZ - https://www.findlayhondaflagstaff.com/service-menu-pricing
- Katy, TX - https://www.hondacarsofkaty.com/Menu_Pricing
- West Chester, PA - https://www.scotthonda.com/honda-maintenance-minder.html

Dealer price can vary based on the market, but I've been known to get pricing at one Honda dealership and ask another dealership to match or beat. My nearest dealer isn't part of the Costco service program (15% discount), but I still ask if they can honor it. It never hurts to ask, and I generally get a positive "let me see what I can do" response. I'd prefer to have Honda folks work on my car, and the extra discount helps to offset some of the cost versus taking to independent mechanic.

One other quick thought... since the Prius has been around longer (and at higher volume), you could call/compare prices for Toyota dealer service versus independent service as a benchmark. It's not apples-to-apples comparison, but could give a frame of reference for price differential

1 - 12 of 12 Posts