Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
After doing my last B1 I said I wouldn't do another without a QuickJack or similar. Which one did you get and how do you like it? If I remember correctly we need the extended version?
QuickJack 5000 TLX (extended version), got it directly from QJ during a $200 off sale. Costco didn't sell the extended version.

I like it a lot. It's on small wheels, stored under our SUV:

I got four of these extra wide jacking pucks (most don't fit on the Honda pinch welds)

Easier to use than the optional QuickJack slotted pads, which are too narrow. I got the QJ ones free in compensation for a problem with my order. The magnetic ones above are better and cheaper. They make it easier to line up the rails. Make a note to remove them when you're done!

·
Registered
44 Posts
QuickJack 5000 TLX (extended version), got it directly from QJ during a $200 off sale. Costco didn't sell the extended version.

I like it a lot. It's on small wheels, stored under our SUV:

I got four of these extra wide jacking pucks (most don't fit on the Honda pinch welds)

Easier to use than the optional QuickJack slotted pads, which are too narrow. I got the QJ ones free in compensation for a problem with my order. The magnetic ones above are better and cheaper. They make it easier to line up the rails. Make a note to remove them when you're done!
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd love to get a QuickJack setup, but I don't have a garage to store it in, or a bunch of extra money lol. I don't think I've ever had a tire rotation done before (in the 186k miles I had my used Prius and 21k miles so far with my new Insight). It never really made sense to me financially. Let's say a tire rotation costs $50, and you need to rotate every 7500 miles (and some people even recommend rotating every 5k miles). That's 7 tire rotations for tires that last 60k miles, or a total of $350. That's more than half the cost of new tires. Do unrotated tires really last only 50% as long as properly rotated ones? Or is it closer to 75%? I know there are grip and ride smoothness benefits too, but purely for tire longevity, paying for rotations doesn't make sense to me. If you can rotate your own tires for free without too much hassle, or you get a great deal, then of course it makes sense. I guess regularly rotating your tires maintains the tire manufacturer's warranty, but what does that actually cover?

I'm going to be rotating my tires using a crappy normal portable jack. As far as I can tell, I need to jack up my Insight a total of six times to accomplish the rotation. Front Driver (replace with spare tire temporarily), Rear Passenger, back to Front Driver. Then repeat for the other 2 wheels. Thinking about it now, that $50 doesn't sound too bad any more lol. But then we're back to my cost-benefit calculation...

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,804 Posts
I'm going to be rotating my tires using a crappy normal portable jack. As far as I can tell, I need to jack up my Insight a total of six times to accomplish the rotation. Front Driver (replace with spare tire temporarily), Rear Passenger, back to Front Driver. Then repeat for the other 2 wheels. Thinking about it now, that $50 doesn't sound too bad any more lol. But then we're back to my cost-benefit calculation...
Hey now, don't talk bad about crappy portable jacks! I use a 1.5 ton Harbor Freight "racing" jack when doing mine. It takes five lifts.

1. replace driver front with spare
2. driver front to driver rear
3. driver rear to passenger front
4. passenger front to passenger rear
5. passenger rear to driver front

I also take this time to thoroughly clean the inside and outside of my wheels. I do rotations every 5K miles. I prefer to do this work myself as I also get the opportunity to check suspension and brakes while I'm doing it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The installation fee at some tire places includes lifetime rotation. Discount Tire, for example. The original Michelin tires for the EX cost about $200 each, plus installation fee. Some places, like Sam's and Costco have promotions from time to time.

You can rotate by just jacking up by the front pinch weld until the rear tire is also slightly off the ground. Others here have done it. Probably not worth the risk.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey now, don't talk bad about crappy portable jacks! I use a 1.5 ton Harbor Freight "racing" jack when doing mine. It takes five lifts.

1. replace driver front with spare
2. driver front to driver rear
3. driver rear to passenger front
4. passenger front to passenger rear
5. passenger rear to driver front
Lol that shows how much I know about rotating tires. I thought I was supposed to do a full X pattern (all tires moving diagonally). 5 lifts isn't quite as bad, I guess. That racing jack looks like it would save a lot of hassle. If only I had a place to store it. I do have jack stands, so maybe I could get away with only doing 3 lifts, via the riskier method jensight mentioned. I did notice my back wheel lifting off the ground when I fully jacked up the front end.

I personally don't really like the OEM Michelin E/S tires. Not enough grip, particularly when wet. I was thinking of getting General Altimax RT43's, which are $125-140 each right now, next time I need tires. They are better in the rain and snow, but I'll probably lose a couple MPG. The RT43s used to cost around $70 each for my Prius :(

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'd love to get a QuickJack setup, but I don't have a garage to store it in, or a bunch of extra money lol. I don't think I've ever had a tire rotation done before (in the 186k miles I had my used Prius and 21k miles so far with my new Insight). It never really made sense to me financially. Let's say a tire rotation costs $50, and you need to rotate every 7500 miles (and some people even recommend rotating every 5k miles). That's 7 tire rotations for tires that last 60k miles, or a total of $350. That's more than half the cost of new tires. Do unrotated tires really last only 50% as long as properly rotated ones? Or is it closer to 75%? I know there are grip and ride smoothness benefits too, but purely for tire longevity, paying for rotations doesn't make sense to me. If you can rotate your own tires for free without too much hassle, or you get a great deal, then of course it makes sense. I guess regularly rotating your tires maintains the tire manufacturer's warranty, but what does that actually cover?

Tire rotations are usually only $20 at the dealer, not a big expense at all in order to get the tire to last a good 15-20k longer. But if you do it at home, only 2 jackings on a flat solid concrete surface are required with a cheap hydraulic jack (or the scissor jack and a jack stand) behind the front wheel. The whole side of the car lifts up and you swap wheels front to back on each side. Just be sure to loosen all lugnuts before lifting the car but leave the lugnuts on so the tire doesn’t just fall off as the car lifts. Easy peasy.

With our cars, the majority of the weight of the car is on the front tires. They wear significantly faster than the back, which is why rotation is important. A tire left up front will probably only last 30k when it could last over 50k if rotated every 7500.

Reactions: GradeA

·
Registered
2022 EX Platinum White Pearl
12 Posts
The user manual says to rotate the tires per the maintenance minder alerts but tire manufacturers recommend rotating every 5000 to 7500 miles. From my understanding, the maintenance minder system on the Insight lights up every 10-12k miles for the average driver.

I'm currently at 3000 miles and am wondering if it'll be worth the hassle to have them rotated at 5000 or if I should just wait for the A1 or B1 code to light up first...

·
Registered
125 Posts
The user manual says to rotate the tires per the maintenance minder alerts but tire manufacturers recommend rotating every 5000 to 7500 miles. From my understanding, the maintenance minder system on the Insight lights up every 10-12k miles for the average driver.

I'm currently at 3000 miles and am wondering if it'll be worth the hassle to have them rotated at 5000 or if I should just wait for the A1 or B1 code to light up first...
I'd say 5 to 6k is best. That means one extra rotation between recommended oil changes, as you noted.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,275 Posts

I check the maintenance info screen under vehicle settings from time to time to see what needs to be done. Tire rotation shows up there as you're closing in on 5,000 miles. The alert system on the other hand prioritizes convenience by combining items due with your next oil change. I like to do maintenance items when it shows up there rather than wait for my next oil change which can be months away due to my low mileage driving. Honda gives the option to reset individual maintenance items.

It looks like most of you guys just do rotations but I also balance my tires each time. I get the rotation and balance done at Costco. Wheels always come back with some weight adjustments when done.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts