Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Maintenance Minder ‘A’ - no oil filter change

8K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  grey 
#1 ·
Ok, I haven’t owned any car that doesn’t call for a filter change on every oil change. I’d like to believe that Honda knows what’s best for their engines. But skipping the filter change feels wrong to me. Does anyone know the science behind it?

#5 ·
I have the free lifetime oil change offer from the dealership. They can do it once my oil life is 20% or lower.
I took my car for the first time at 9500 miles to dealership (20% oil life remaining). Plus I did the tire rotation (10$).
My maintenance indicator is changed from A to B now.

#10 ·
Just a note here....Honda suggests the same thing on their motorcycles. The filter is suggested to be changed every other oil change. Honda would not say this if it greatly affected reliability/longevity. Their reputation is at stake here. I’m sure it’s in the interest of saving landfill space and decreasing hazardous waste but obviously engines just run much cleaner nowadays and oils have improved enough that switching out the filter so often isn’t necessary. Now, breaking that habit is a whole different ballgame. I, personally, am willing to follow the new standard. If a motorcycle engine that spends its entire life in higher rpms than a car can handle fewer oil filter changes, than I’m sure a hybrid could easily do so.

Reactions: jensight
#11 ·
It took a lot of willpower to get away from oil changes every 3,000 miles. The filter, on the other hand, is going to get changed when I change the oil - every time. After all, I'm already under the car, and the filter is mounted in an easily accessible location. Why wouldn't I do it?

#14 ·
If it's really hard to skip changing your oil filterr, then I would just get your oil analyzed at 3k miles and at 10k miles, and it's likely you'll see a minimum difference. Back in the day, more frequent oil changes made an impact, but changing at 3k nowadays is overkill for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.