Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Just had my first oil change and tire rotation since maintenance minder was showing A1. Now the maintenance screen shows oil at 100% (as expected) and “B”. Why does it display B? Is the just indicating that B will be my next service (oil, filter, several inspections)....several thousand miles from now?
The letter code indicates what next service type recommendation will be, when oil life reaches 15% (OM19 pg 557): "Oil Life Display [shows] codes for maintenance items due at the next engine oil change." @Alex mentioned similar "B" message coming up after first oil change at 9.5k miles.

===
Also as a side note - if the Maintenance Minder "accidentally" or inadvertently gets reset, the system loses sync and won't be able to properly predict required maintenance. I read that a Honda dealer can reset the Maintenance Minder (for a fee) using a computer called the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) to trigger a "forced activation" mode. So if you're really uncertain about Maintenance Minder status, and want to have it cross-checked or reset, a dealer has equipment to do this for you.

I wonder why yours came on so early. I'm at 9,388 miles and I still have 30% left.
I think his Insight must’ve sat on the dealership lot for awhile before he bought it. According to Honda under optimal driving conditions the Insight can go up to 12,000 miles before needing an oil change. Those of us with low mileage oil changes are due by time(1 year since last oil change).

I wonder why yours came on so early. I'm at 9,388 miles and I still have 30% left.
@TNInsightEX mentioned buying ~5 months earlier than your March 2020 purchase date, and also appears to be a 'low annual mileage driver' (like myself). So from a pure time-since-purchase basis, not entirely surprising that oil change timing is earlier than yours.

But the oil life seems to be calculated based on a "time OR distance" factor (whichever comes first). For low mileage drivers (<10k/yr), this 'time' basis ends up being ~1 year from last oil change. And for high mileage drivers, this 'distance' basis ends up being 10-12k miles from last oil change.

Given your March 2020 buy date and 30% oil life at 9388 miles on 8/20/20 (and assuming <50 miles on odometer at time of purchase) - you should hit 15% oil life at 10.1k to 11.4k miles sometime between 9/1/20 to 9/24/20 since you're a higher-mileage driver.

Also FYI, the oil life display shows in 'tens' above the 15% threshold. The display of 30% actually represents a range of 21-30% oil life remaining (OM19 pg 556)... so there are ranges to the mileage and date estimates above.

But the oil life seems to be calculated based on a "time OR distance" factor (whichever comes first).
The Maintenance Minder system monitors operating conditions such as oil and coolant temperature along with engine speed to determine the proper service intervals. Depending on operating conditions, oil change intervals can be extended to a maximum of 12,000 miles.

Insight's engine requires no scheduled maintenance for 100,000+/- miles or more, other than periodic inspections and normal fluid and filter replacements. The first tune-up includes water pump inspection, valve adjustment, and the installation of new spark plugs.
^Found more info from the Insight press kit. 2019 Honda Insight Press Kit

But the oil life seems to be calculated based on a "time OR distance" factor (whichever comes first). For low mileage drivers (<10k/yr), this 'time' basis ends up being ~1 year from last oil change. And for high mileage drivers, this 'distance' basis ends up being 10-12k miles from last oil change.
I've been driving much less during the pandemic, and it's given another indication of the "time based" factor in the Maintenance Minder algorithm. It was several weeks since I last drove the Insight, and upon turning it on, the oil life % indication dropped suddenly/dramatically versus last drive and "Maintenance Due Soon" indicator came on... all without driving miles being added.

I'm not a high-mileage driver (<10k mi/yr) and my last oil change triggered in October 2019, after ~11 months of driving. This alert came up on similar timing after ~11 months of driving... so that seems to be the interval I'm getting from my Maintenance Minder alerts, despite low-mileage driving. I have a hill in my daily drive, which I think triggers some 'severe condition' measure in the algorithm, and causes my alert to come up before 1 full year / 12 months.

Some new data points from my Insight.

Built on 9/2018.
Bought on 12/28/2018 with 20 miles on the odometer.
First maintenance minder alert came on 11/2019.
First oil change was done on 11/11/19 at 5,221 miles.
Second maintenance minder alert came on today(9/18/20) at 8,880 miles and oil change was done today, too.

I have been doing more short distance trips this year.

Some new data points from my Insight.
Interesting... so you're getting ~11 month interval as an annual low-mileage driver as well. Did the oil life alerts above come up at 15%? After a few weeks of non-driving, my oil life alert 'instantaneously' appeared at 10%, with no other prior indication; it just instantly dropped when I turned on my car after those weeks.

This could be why. I drive my Insight at least twice a week.
Oh, yes - for sure, and directly linked to the Maintenance Minder 'time' factor. I was also thinking that with oil life on both our cars 'only' getting 11 months (vs 1 year interval), Honda may have built in a 'procrastination' factor into the alert (i.e. notify people at 11 months and they'll do it at 12 months).

Oh, yes - for sure, and directly linked to the Maintenance Minder 'time' factor. I was also thinking that with oil life on both our cars 'only' getting 11 months (vs 1 year interval), Honda may have built in a 'procrastination' factor into the alert (i.e. notify people at 11 months and they'll do it at 12 months).
Technically 0% oil life is when you need to change it. So for us 15% - 0% would probably take another month.

Yes, but what's a mind trip is that if one last changed it at 15%, then the next 15% should technically pop up a year later... but it has shortened by a month (11 months) each year.
Well the maintenance minder also monitor other conditions like oil temps. Unless your driving conditions are near the same from year to year it shouldn't be due at the same time each year. I drove a lot more short distance trips this year so it makes sense I'm due for an change at around 4,000 miles this year vs 5,000 miles last year plus earlier time interval(September vs November).

Well the maintenance minder also monitor other conditions like oil temps. Unless your driving conditions are near the same from year to year it shouldn't be due at the same time each year. I drove a lot more short distance trips this year so it makes sense I'm due for an change at around 4,000 miles this year vs 5,000 miles last year plus earlier time interval(September vs November).
My driving conditions are near same as last year, except for less frequency due to pandemic. If anything, I thought I'd get the full year from 15% to 15% notification, given the consistency and normal driving coditions. Honda defines 'severe' conditions as:
1) driving less than 5 miles (8 km) per trip in 'regular' temperatures
2) in freezing temperatures, driving less than 10 miles (16 km) per trip
3) driving in extremely hot [over 90°F (32°C)] conditions
4) extensive idling or long periods of stop-and-go driving
5) trailer towing, driving with a roof rack, or driving in mountainous conditions.
6) driving on muddy, dusty, or de-iced roads

If anything, I thought I'd get the full year from 15% to 15% notification, given the consistency and normal driving coditions.
Boston had multiple heatwaves this Summer so in my case that could've degraded my oil quicker, too. I wonder if the maintenance minder keeps track of the ambient temperature when the car is off.

The letter code indicates what next service type recommendation will be, when oil life reaches 15% (OM19 pg 557): "Oil Life Display [shows] codes for maintenance items due at the next engine oil change." @Alex mentioned similar "B" message coming up after first oil change at 9.5k miles.

===
Also as a side note - if the Maintenance Minder "accidentally" or inadvertently gets reset, the system loses sync and won't be able to properly predict required maintenance. I read that a Honda dealer can reset the Maintenance Minder (for a fee) using a computer called the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) to trigger a "forced activation" mode. So if you're really uncertain about Maintenance Minder status, and want to have it cross-checked or reset, a dealer has equipment to do this for you.
Your response was useful to me. We just had our first oil change and now there’s a B on the maintenance screen. Thank you.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.