Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Maintenance Schedule

21K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  CmpeGeek 
#1 ·
Hello,

Just including the maintenance requiements here for anyone.
It's impressive how little maintenance there is on the Insight.

2019 Honda Insight Touring_Maintenance Echelon.pdf
2019_Insight_Maintenance_Minder_System.pdf

Phil

#2 ·

Attachments

#5 ·
Maintenance Schedule

Hello all,
Not sure if posted this in the correct area or not. So my car has about 350 miles on the clock and I’m a good way out from requiring any maintenance. My question is, does anyone have a maintenance schedule for the car. I know it has a maintenance minder that will tell you when to replace the oil but I want to see the physical schedule. I got the owners manual, the 600+ page one, and it is silent on this topic. Every car I have ever owned shows a schedule of required maintenance and the intervals of when these items are to be completed. I like to do my own work on my cars so, I may be a bit of an odd bird. The dealer simply handed me a generic schedule for all Honda 4 cylinder engines. This car has a different power train so I assume it would require different intervals. I plan on doing oil changes every 5,000 miles but what about transmission, inverter coolant, engine coolant and valve adjustment? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#10 ·
Hello all,
Not sure if posted this in the correct area or not. So my car has about 350 miles on the clock and I’m a good way out from requiring any maintenance. My question is, does anyone have a maintenance schedule for the car. I know it has a maintenance minder that will tell you when to replace the oil but I want to see the physical schedule. I got the owners manual, the 600+ page one, and it is silent on this topic. Every car I have ever owned shows a schedule of required maintenance and the intervals of when these items are to be completed. I like to do my own work on my cars so, I may be a bit of an odd bird. The dealer simply handed me a generic schedule for all Honda 4 cylinder engines. This car has a different power train so I assume it would require different intervals. I plan on doing oil changes every 5,000 miles but what about transmission, inverter coolant, engine coolant and valve adjustment? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Will this tie you over for the next ~9.5 years until your coolant change? Haha

Maybe there are more like this scattered around.

Attachments

#8 ·
It's in the PDF Owner's manual as to what gets done with each maintenance code (starts on page 118), but there are no mileages associated with them. This is because everyone's engine will run at different times with different loads. I good estimate for your first oil change it at roughly 10K miles. All you should need to do between now and then is check your oil level and tire pressures regularly. You won't need to worry about the transmission since the Insight doesn't have one.

Attachments

Reactions: J. Bond
#9 · (Edited)
Transmission fluid change is listed as a possible maintenance sub-item in the attachment (code #3). The footnote below that section mentions that low speed driving in mountain areas cause the highest transmission temperatures and/or degradation, so will require fluid change every 47.5k miles or 3 years.

Also, I believe the attachment in prior post is from the Owners Guide, where the maintenance info starts on ~pg 118, while the maintenance info section in the Owners Manual starts on ~pg 551.

#14 ·
The transmission maintenance should be very minor, but do keep in mind that the Gen3 Insight "technically" has an automatic transmission, and carries 2.3 qt of ATF DW-1 Automatic Transmission Fluid. (By comparison, the CVT Civic carries 3.7 qt and the Manual Civic carries 2.0 qt.)

Net, if you own the car long enough, don't be surprised if you see a maintenance sub-item code for transmission fluid change on the Insight!

#12 ·
Thanks for the replies. I guess I am a little old fashioned as far as the maintenance thing goes. I may be over doing it but I think I will change my oil every 5,000 or 7,500 miles. Probably stick to the 5,000 mile interval. It’s cheap insurance. Not quite sure how the oil change monitor works in the car? Does anyone know if the monitor “analyzes” he chemical composition of the oil or is it some sort of engine hours/time/miles driven algorithm? Don’t know if I’m being paranoid but Honda did have an oil dilution problem in their new Turbocharged CRV motors. I realize that’s a totally different engine but yet another reason for me to do the oil changes a little prematurely. Once again thanks for the wisdom and advice that you guys have put out here for everyone.

#13 ·
I believe the oil dilution issue was localized to the 1.5 turbo engines used in the CR-V.

As far as changing the oil every 5-7K miles, it won't hurt, and the filter location makes for a clean swap. My '99 Civic was an awful mess during filter changes. If you think about it, the Insight's engine does not run during the 100% of miles driven - and rarely during idle. The monitor runs off a formula taking into account all engine factors like weather, load, duration, etc to come up with a number. There is no "lab" in the car that physically analyzes the oil. I'd estimate my engine only runs about 75-80% of the time, so pushing a 7,500 normal oil change interval up to 10,000 seems legit. My 15% maintenance alert came up at a tad at 10,241 miles.

At 13,000 miles, I think the area that I've done the most maintenance (other than washing/vacuuming) is filling the washer fluid!

#16 ·
The info posted on this Honda dealer site is Honda-generic (i.e. similar posts on other dealer sites), but I liked the Q&A it chose to list.

Of note, a Honda technician can use the "Forced Activation Mode" to tell you in advance what the next recommended service(s) will be. They can check this for you as long as oil life is between 100% to 16%. (Notification system turns on automatically at 15%, so no 'forced activation' is required.)

#21 ·
I found the Insight's service manual that @pcsailor posted awhile back from the Honda repair site. :)
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/1...a-insight_maintenance-pdfs-here.html#post4324

Transmission Fluid:
Honda ATF DW-1
Capacity:2.0 L (2.1 US QT)
https://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/minder?year=2019&model=Insight
https://owners.honda.com/servicemaintenance/minder?year=2020&model=Insight

^Maintenance schedule can be accessed for the 2019/2020 Honda Insight now. The info looks to be the same as @pcsailor 's original post back in December 2018. So not sure why the amount of transmission fluid listed is different between the maintenance schedule and owner's manual. :confused:

Attachments

#24 ·
My 2019 Touring trim got its 50k miles service. I just got my AutoMatic Transmission Fluid changed. Oil change, tires rotated, annual inspection.

Honda service guy said,
Brake Fluid needs changing every 3 years.
At 100k miles do Engine Coolant Reserve fluid in tank changed out, and the Inverter Coolant Tank changed too.
Spark Plugs change out in 100k mile mark also.

Anything else fellas?

#26 ·
So far I've just been doing oil change + tire rotation, but I'm about to hit 30k, so I decided it's time to check out the official maintenance schedule for my 2020 Insight EX and maybe schedule an apt at my dealer.

I just spent twenty minutes searching through the 600pg manual and googling the web, and I can't find it. I can't believe something so basic and important is this undiscoverable.

Am I stupid/crazy, or did they drop the ball? Anyone know if an official mileage-based maintenance schedule exists, and where to find it?

#27 ·
I just spent twenty minutes searching through the 600pg manual and googling the web, and I can't find it. I can't believe something so basic and important is this undiscoverable.

Am I stupid/crazy, or did they drop the ball? Anyone know if an official mileage-based maintenance schedule exists, and where to find it?
Honda doesn't provide mileage based maintenance schedules for cars like the Insight that have a built-in Maintenance Minder. Technically, the Maintenance Minder 'should' be more custom/specific to your driving and usage, which should be 'better' than the former mileage based schedules.

Actual mileage at time of maintenance will vary by vehicle, so all Honda provides is a list of what is to be done when certain maintenance codes appear - like this list from the Owners Guide, and this list from the Honda Owner's site.

To get a heads up on "upcoming maintenance items" they can be viewed under Settings --> Vehicle --> Maintenance, before they come up as actual Maintenance Minder alerts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.