Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts
I just found out that we don't have a differential fluid flush? Not need it.

Also I got quoted $129 vs $229
on a Transmission Flush?
One is 10 gallons vs 3 gallon flush & fill?

What is that mumbo jumbo?

Also. I'm in NY state, is my spark plugs replacement free? At what mileage?

I just found out that we don't have a differential fluid flush? Not need it.

Also I got quoted $129 vs $229
on a Transmission Flush?
One is 10 gallons vs 3 gallon flush & fill?

What is that mumbo jumbo?

Also. I'm in NY state, is my spark plugs replacement free? At what mileage?
Ask for a replacement not a flush.

Always use Honda ATF DW-1. NOTE: Using the wrong type of fluid will damage the transmission.
Capacity: 2.0 L (2.1 US qt) - Insight

The following post (and copied above into this thread) came from @onthefly1050 and mentioned transmission fluid change notification came up at 93,500 miles: gen3insight.com/threads/high-mileage-club.2550/page-5#post-36795
Hey guys, transmission fluid was completed shortly after this post and was a simple exchange. Same as a differential drain and fill. My mechanic (who i brought Honda fluid to) stated the fluid was really clean still and wasn't blackened at all, and i beat the everloving hell outta my cars. No need to swap early, just wait for the maintenance notification, Trust me i know how hard that is to trust.

At 89,000 miles I just got a oil change and a transmission fluid drain and fill. It may just be a placebo effect, but my car feels even smoother accelerating now.

At 89,000 miles I just got a oil change and a transmission fluid drain and fill. It may just be a placebo effect, but my car feels even smoother accelerating now.
It's not a placebo it does go down the road a tad smoother, same as right after a fresh oil change!! My mpg increased a very miniscule but detectable amount also. Clean fluid has less friction on the moving parts!

I’m at close to 96,000 miles now and I never got a transmission fluid reminder around 93,500. I don’t think the dealership could’ve done anything to my car to prevent that when I change the transmission fluid at 89,000 miles.

Weird...

I’m at close to 96,000 miles now and I never got a transmission fluid reminder around 93,500. I don’t think the dealership could’ve done anything to my car to prevent that when I change the transmission fluid at 89,000 miles.
Did you have other service (e.g. oil change) done along with the transmission fluid change at 89k? The dealer would likely have reset your Maintenance Minder, which could prevent the notice.

Weird...
There may be a sensor in there that determines how dirty the fluid is (not 100% on that) but I know for sure the software monitors the engine load ect. I would keep an eye out for it soon but if you get to like 105,000 and it still isn't on I would have it replaced, then go into the maintenance minder system and reset the transmission maintenance minder. The options in there are to reset each item individually or reset all due items, so it is possible that they could have reset it but it would have had to be specifically selected and reset. Most likely the fluid and engine load monitoring ect haven't reached the threshold for replacement in your specific vehicle. I operate under more severe driving conditions than most so it may have triggered early for my car. Couldn't hurt to change it now with the mileage you are at esp since you drive a lot as well, if it's not overdue it will be due pretty soon. Anyone else besides me get notification to change fluid? Mileage?

There may be a sensor in there that determines how dirty the fluid is (not 100% on that) but I know for sure the software monitors the engine load ect. I would keep an eye out for it soon but if you get to like 105,000 and it still isn't on I would have it replaced, then go into the maintenance minder system and reset the transmission maintenance minder. The options in there are to reset each item individually or reset all due items, so it is possible that they could have reset it but it would have had to be specifically selected and reset. Most likely the fluid and engine load monitoring ect haven't reached the threshold for replacement in your specific vehicle. I operate under more severe driving conditions than most so it may have triggered early for my car. Couldn't hurt to change it now with the mileage you are at esp since you drive a lot as well, if it's not overdue it will be due pretty soon. Anyone else besides me get notification to change fluid? Mileage?
Or are you saying you changed the fluid already? In that case the dealership would have reset it and the notification won't be back until it is due again.

Yes oil change and transmission fluid changed at 89k.. totally forgot dealer can reset maintenance reminders even if they are not on.

At the time of my service, there were no maintenance reminders..

Interesting to discover the Insight has no transmission dipstick. At 51k, my dealer suggested that I should consider changing the fluid at the next oil change because the fluid looked a bit “dirty”. I highly doubt they actually siphoned fluid out and was simply pushing an unneeded service because the Insight literally makes little money for their service bay. An uninformed customer would just believe that statement and waste money….so irritating how unscrupulous businesses have become.

Interesting to discover the Insight has no transmission dipstick. At 51k, my dealer suggested that I should consider changing the fluid at the next oil change because the fluid looked a bit “dirty”. I highly doubt they actually siphoned fluid out and was simply pushing an unneeded service because the Insight literally makes little money for their service bay. An uninformed customer would just believe that statement and waste money….so irritating how unscrupulous businesses have become.
My dealership loved seeing me when I had my 09 Civic. Not so much with the Insight cause I only visit them once a year for an oil change + state inspection now (tire balance/rotation at Costco). I did do my first wheel alignment and brake fluid change this year(3rd year of ownership). The maintenance minder system is probably hurting them for those owners that follow it.

You would need to change your transmission fluid earlier if the below applies. Otherwise wait for the maintenance minder alert from the Insight.
  • Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed every 47,500 miles (76,000 km) or 3 years.

I plan on doing everything at 100k miles...that is close enough to 144k km.

--adjust valves.
--change spark plugs.
--change transmission fluid.
--change brake fluid.
--change coolants.

For me, that is about every 15 months...pretty low maintenance requirements IMV.

Great thread, thanks all!

So I went to a Houston dealership to get some warranty work done. After doing their standard checks, the guy told me to change my transmission fluid because Honda recommends it's done every 30,000 miles.
After telling him that I have never seen that MM code (3), he said that at 29,000 miles (my last time I had been to a Honda) the technician must have erased the code prematurely.

I then showed him the note about 47K miles in mountainous terrain, and he sticked to his 30K miles change guns.

Here is the question: Is there a way to see a history of erased codes in the maintenance minder?

So I went to a Houston dealership to get some warranty work done. After doing their standard checks, the guy told me to change my transmission fluid because Honda recommends it's done every 30,000 miles.
After telling him that I have never seen that MM code (3), he said that at 29,000 miles (my last time I had been to a Honda) the technician must have erased the code prematurely.

I then showed him the note about 47K miles in mountainous terrain, and he stuck to his 30K miles change guns.

Here is the question: Is there a way to see a history of erased codes in the maintenance minder?
Not unless you want to spend $3,000 for the Honda DST and even then it is iffy. Anywho those codes are just recommendations. Dealer just wants money.

I then showed him the note about 47K miles in mountainous terrain, and he sticked to his 30K miles change guns.

Sounds implausible for the replace transmission fluid code to show up at 29k miles if severe service condition is at 47,500 miles as indicated in the owner's manual.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.