Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really like to be able to upgrade (possibly even for free or small fee) the Honda Sensing technology when it gets better..

Yesterday, during day time, I was changing lanes and my car was about 60-70% in lane and my front bumper was almost entirely behind car in front of me when it made a sudden right turn into a gas station..

One of the gas station’s entrance is real close to a right turn lane of an intersection. When I was getting into furthest right lane to make that right turn, the car in front of me turned into that gas station. I don’t remember the exact circumstances of the situation but I took my eyes off the car making that turn for a bit and came real close to hitting it without the brake warning like coming on when switching lanes.

I was SO angry after that. I would say for me, 80-85% (possibly higher) of the brake warnings really never helped me prevent an accident.

I’m not sure if it was because I wasn’t directly behind the car or not but I think I should of gotten a warning.

Pretty soon after that incident, a car in front of me was right turning into a parking lot and I could’ve sworn the brake warning came on as it was already in it’s turning motion (which would suggest all of car was not completely behind me) , which was kinda of like the incident in subject matter. Although I was following car for a bit before the warning came on ( which possibly figures into how Honda Sense works ).

I could see this technology really coming into play if a car cuts you off unexpectedly and you need to hit the brakes. If Honda Sense works in a way where a vehicle has to be in front of you for a certain period of time before it can trigger the brake warning, then that obviously needs to be “adjusted”.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
There's some precedent from other manufacturers for offering to retrofit features like CarPlay, but Honda has had a "no backfit" standard for as long as they've been in operation. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/25896-post12.html

It also gets a little tricky with upgrades to safety/sensing, as improvements are both equipment and programming/software. Manufacturers tend to design for future, rather than looking back to ensure it fits with past models.

Also out of curiosity, what setting (normal, short, long) are you set at for the Forward Collision Warning Distance (OM p379)?

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I pretend I don't have Honda Sense when I drive so I don't get too comfortable about not paying attention. I don't think Honda will provide us hardware upgrades when they actually want you to buy a new car. It's a lot of work too because they have to integrate new software not just hardware and also pay the government to reevaluate the safety systems again.

A front wide view camera which covers a wide area in front of the vehicle will be newly added to the Honda SENSING advanced safety and driver-assistive system installed to the all-new Fit. By combining the front wide view camera and eight sonar sensors mounted in the front and back of the vehicle, the all-new Fit features further enhanced existing Honda SENSING functions as well as the new short-distance collision mitigation braking system. The Honda SENSING is available as standard equipment on all types of the all-new Fit.
Honda Sense on the 4th gen Fit is getting a wider FOV camera and 8 sonar sensors.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m on long range...

I’m already an extra careful/super safe driver because I’m on the road so much (plus I got to watch out for my passengers) but was expecting the Honda Sense to warn me on those times when I slipped up a bit. But at least the auto high beams seem to have helped a lot in certain areas (which is the feature I like the most in Honda Sense ).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I was involved with the s2000 (which btw was also sorta limited and a rare vehicle), there were shops in SoCal that specialized in them. They were manufacturing better TCTs than OEM ( timing chain tensioner , which was a weak point on the s2k ), retrofitting newer s2k engine,mechanical, and even body parts to older cars (which I did) to improve performance, reliability, and looks.

I think if this car was as big as the Prius, we would have people possibly trying to retrofit the future hardware and trying to upgrade the software.

I like the rare car factor but as far as people toying with the car, there obviously will be less than say the Prius crowd (which is an advantage for a Prius owner).

But we will have to see what the 3rd gen Insight’s future has in store.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just re-thinking this and since Honda Sense is fairly new and it’s on most newer Hondas now, there may be some mechanics and enthusiasts that will try to tweak it. So it’s not necessarily an Insight and rarity factor anymore because I suspect if Honda Sensing can be tweaked in a Civic, the same can be done across models with it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had to chime in about Honda Sensing since it saved my butt yesterday ( I think this may be first time where it really came in handy ) . I was driving ( solo ) and I got distracted with an item in the car and took my eyes off the road for a second and heard the brake assist alert.. slammed the brakes and prevented a rear end collision..

But I still think that Honda Sensing needs improvement.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would really like to be able to upgrade (possibly even for free or small fee) the Honda Sensing technology when it gets better..

Yesterday, during day time, I was changing lanes and my car was about 60-70% in lane and my front bumper was almost entirely behind car in front of me when it made a sudden right turn into a gas station..

One of the gas station’s entrance is real close to a right turn lane of an intersection. When I was getting into furthest right lane to make that right turn, the car in front of me turned into that gas station. I don’t remember the exact circumstances of the situation but I took my eyes off the car making that turn for a bit and came real close to hitting it without the brake warning like coming on when switching lanes.

I was SO angry after that. I would say for me, 80-85% (possibly higher) of the brake warnings really never helped me prevent an accident.

I’m not sure if it was because I wasn’t directly behind the car or not but I think I should of gotten a warning.

Pretty soon after that incident, a car in front of me was right turning into a parking lot and I could’ve sworn the brake warning came on as it was already in it’s turning motion (which would suggest all of car was not completely behind me) , which was kinda of like the incident in subject matter. Although I was following car for a bit before the warning came on ( which possibly figures into how Honda Sense works ).

I could see this technology really coming into play if a car cuts you off unexpectedly and you need to hit the brakes. If Honda Sense works in a way where a vehicle has to be in front of you for a certain period of time before it can trigger the brake warning, then that obviously needs to be “adjusted”.
The system works by sending out a radar signal from an antenna located facing front from behind your inside rear view mirror. The return signal is picked up near the ground in the very front of the car on the left side, roughly in line with the steering wheel.

Perhaps:
1. All this happened too far in front of the car to trigger the brakes / notification? If so there is an adjustment in Settings that allows you to make the system more sensitive.
2. Movement of the car in front to the right was so fast, that there was an insufficient radar return, close to the ground, to activate the system.

In general the system is I think a step toward the self driving car, and your experience could be important real life experience in support of the evolution of self-driving electronic systems. In the interim I think it best to avoid relying on these electronic systems and to remain an alert responsible controller of these amazing mechanical / electronic machines, known as a car. I however remain an old school advocate of driver-driving cars. So as long as those damm.things have an off button, I'm OK with them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking at the yet to be released 2020 Civic Type R and it will get Honda Sensing for the first time..

It would be interesting to see if Honda made any improvements to Honda Sensing.

Maybe I should find a Honda dealership near the location where I had the auto braking incident with the metal plates and test drive one down that road .

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
I was looking at the yet to be released 2020 Civic Type R and it will get Honda Sensing for the first time..

It would be interesting to see if Honda made any improvements to Honda Sensing.

Maybe I should find a Honda dealership near the location where I had the auto braking incident with the metal plates and test drive one down that road .
Totally do it! Make sure there is a salesman in the car with you at the time. See what he/she says when it happens.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Totally do it! Make sure there is a salesman in the car with you at the time. See what he/she says when it happens.

Not a bad idea..

When the new type R comes out , I’ll give this a shot.. gonna even bring my dash cam along and ask if I could hook it up.. worst they could say is no..

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Not a bad idea..

When the new type R comes out , I’ll give this a shot.. gonna even bring my dash cam along and ask if I could hook it up.. worst they could say is no..
FYI - the showroom Type R I saw last week was (literally) under lock and key at local dealership. I had to ask to have it unlocked, rather than other floor models that were readily accessible. And they promptly re-locked it after I got out. Dealer claimed to have the highest allocation of Type R's in the area, but they sure weren't acting like it...

Not sure if this is a common experience, but given the relative 'rarity' of a Type R might make test drives more guarded.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FYI - the showroom Type R I saw last week was (literally) under lock and key at local dealership. I had to ask to have it unlocked, rather than other floor models that were readily accessible. And they promptly re-locked it after I got out. Dealer claimed to have the highest allocation of Type R's in the area, but they sure weren't acting like it...

Not sure if this is a common experience, but given the relative 'rarity' of a Type R might make test drives more guarded.
It was the same way with the S2000. Did I ever get a test drive a brand new S2000? Many..Albeit that was about six years after it came out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think to get a better gauge if Honda makes any improvements to Honda sensing with new type R, it’s best to go on the forums with the type R guys and see what kind of complaints (if any) they have on Honda sending.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I don't think the 2020 Type R has the enhanced Honda Sensing that the 4th gen Fit is getting. Otherwise they would have wrote more than a sentence about it in the press release for the Type R.

The 2020 Civic Type R also adds the Honda Sensing suite of safety and driver-assistive technologies, marking the first time that Honda Sensing will be available as standard equipment on all Civic models and trims.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn’t know the 2020 Fit would get enhanced Honda Sensing.. are you talking about the Jazz?

I was looking at Honda’s website and no special promotion about the enhanced Honda Sensing and did a google search too.

Any links?

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think the 2020 Type R has the enhanced Honda Sensing that the 4th gen Fit is getting. Otherwise they would have wrote more than a sentence about it in the press release for the Type R.
Which would really suck.. I mean your spending 36k+ on a vehicle and the 2020 Fit gets it?!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Most of that goes to the powertrain and suspension system. The Type R doesn't even have the newer infotainment software and hardware that the Insight/Accord have either.
Isn't that true of the Entire Civic Line-up?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts