Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to manually control my wipers in rainy conditions, lifting the lever to up/mist position to clear my windshield only when I feel needed.

However that lever position on my car seems overly aggressive... the wipers fling to the left with so much (excessive?) force, like a super-angry karate chop. In the other lever positions, the wiper movement is smooth/controlled.

Do others experience the same 'wiper aggression' on their cars? Is there a mechanical (or other) stop that might be missing from my car causing this? Will this aggressive motion cause premature motor wear?

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
No problems.... All of my Honda's have done that... totally normal
& they all did it from day 1 to day over 250,000 miles and over 10 years..

The only time it may be a problem is when the wipers are frozen stuck to the windshield...

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Manual wiper setting on my older Hondas are/were more controlled (like a friendly wave vs a karate chop - ha), and it is still jarring every time I use them on the Insight. I feel like I'm breaking something each time I use...

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Holding the stalk during mist results in "high" wiper speed. Simply tapping it and not holding it will have it run at the lower speed.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holding the stalk during mist results in "high" wiper speed. Simply tapping it and not holding it will have it run at the lower speed.
To double check, is your suggestion about holding the stalk referring to 'washer' setting instead of 'mist' setting? Honda calls the upward motion 'mist' setting (as in mist-like rain condition?) and calls the pull-toward-you motion 'washer' (as in spraying washer fluid?) setting.

I've tried different types of motions for the upward/mist position, but even the 'gentlest' of taps yields the frantic/crazy wipe motion.

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
To double check, is your suggestion about holding the stalk referring to 'washer' setting instead of 'mist' setting? Honda calls the upward motion 'mist' setting (as in mist-like rain condition?) and calls the pull-toward-you motion 'washer' (as in spraying washer fluid?) setting.

I've tried different types of motions for the upward/mist position, but even the 'gentlest' of taps yields the frantic/crazy wipe motion.
I was referring to up/mist. Unfortunately it starts at the crazy high speed setting - even with a gentle tap. You'll notice the return is much slower unless your tap is really fast. There's not a whole lot you can do. Personally, I like working the timed wipe (for the windshield wipers, not the other thing).

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was referring to up/mist. Unfortunately it starts at the crazy high speed setting - even with a gentle tap. You'll notice the return is much slower unless your tap is really fast. There's not a whole lot you can do. Personally, I like working the timed wipe (for the windshield wipers, not the other thing).
Ah, ok. I've just done single pass and haven't held it in that position. I've temporarily reverted to the intermittent wipers just to avoid the stress (?) I feel when it seems like the wipers are gonna fly off the windshield, LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts