Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. Why can’t the front reading lights be set to turn on when the doors are opened?? Never seen a modern car with only one tiny light for the whole interior. It should be an LED bulb too.
I accidentally discovered that my Insight EX can auto turn off/on the map lights. I left one of the map lights on by accident. Came back later and the map light turned on by itself as I grabbed the door handle. Thought to myself that's strange that my map light came on by itself when it never did this before when I unlocked my door. Decided to test a few different scenarios, noticed the map light turns off when door locks, and turns on when door unlocks. Works with both map lights on at the same time and with walk away auto lock. Now that I know about this I can turn on both map lights, lock the car, and when I come back later both map lights will turn on as I unlock the door. :grin:

I don't think this was meant as an intentional feature unlike the Touring but more of a safety measure to protect the 12v battery.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I accidentally discovered that my Insight EX can auto turn off/on the map lights. I left one of the map lights on by accident. Came back later and the map light turned on by itself as I grabbed the door handle. Thought to myself that's strange that my map light came on by itself when it never did this before when I unlocked my door. Decided to test a few different scenarios, noticed the map light turns off when door locks, and turns on when door unlocks. Works with both map lights on at the same time and with walk away auto lock. Now that I know about this I can turn on both map lights, lock the car, and when I come back later both map lights will turn on as I unlock the door. :grin:

I don't think this was meant as an intentional feature unlike the Touring but more of a safety measure to protect the 12v battery.
Interesting find, thanks for sharing. Only issue is it still has to be manually shut back off once you get back in the car :sad:

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Interesting find, thanks for sharing. Only issue is it still has to be manually shut back off once you get back in the car :sad:
Wouldn't locking the doors (either once inside the car, or from outside via fob or walk-away lock) turn the map light off, rather than having to manually shut down? Did you have different experience with this?

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't locking the doors (either once inside the car, or from outside via fob or walk-away lock) turn the map light off, rather than having to manually shut down? Did you have different experience with this?
I think he's referring to when you get back in to your car and the map lights come on. When you start the car the map lights will stay on until you manually shut them off. Unless you prefer driving with map lights on... :p I'm not sure if manually locking the doors from the inside before starting the car will shut off the map lights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts