Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a 2020 Insight with 1600 miles on it. Very light commuting duties. Last week I noticed a metallic rattling noise under light to medium acceleration which occurs in both EV and normal mode. To me, it sounds like something metallic-ish rolling around in one of those big raffle cages that you spin. The rattling increases the harder you step on the accelerator but at highway speeds is not audible anymore (likely due to road noise drowning out the sound). It seems to come from the front driver's side. I can also hear it with the windows down. Persistent since last week.

Has anyone else had this issue or know what might be causing this?????? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Haven't had this issue. My car is dead silent in pure EV-only mode. That you mentioned this issue 'just started' last week, signals something different from the base/normal operation.

Most of the "rattling" comments so far in the forum have related to speaker quality and/or rear deck reverberation; and interior rattles from vents, pillars, doors. @andrew28 also mentioned that rattling started after brake rotor resurfacing, but this sounds different from the rattling you're describing.

Beyond the above, haven't seen any forum members report under-hood metallic rattling to-date - and given the frequency and potential mechanical risk to your car, it would be best to visit your dealer sooner than later.

Other thoughts:
  • It sounds like you've tried EV and Normal modes/buttons. Does the same rattling sound occur when you're in Econ or Sport modes/buttons?
  • Does this happen under certain types of terrain (e.g. hills) or conditions (e.g. from stand-still stop) or at all times?
  • When you observe this issue, do you have the Power Flow diagram up on the DII and/or infotainment screen? I'm wondering whether this happens in all modes (EV only / EV+ICE hybrid / ICE only) or just where the ICE is on (which would be my guess). "EV" displays on the DII even in hybrid mode, when the ICE is running.
  • It's interesting/odd that the sound goes away at highway speeds. But maybe the rattling becomes so high fast and high pitched that is 'seems' like it's no longer there. Mechanically, the ICE is largely supplying power at high speeds, so issue would still exist if related to ICE operation.
  • The electric motors are on the drivers side under-hood area, while the ICE is toward the passenger side.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
Hi everyone. I have a 2020 Insight with 1600 miles on it. Very light commuting duties. Last week I noticed a metallic rattling noise under light to medium acceleration which occurs in both EV and normal mode. To me, it sounds like something metallic-ish rolling around in one of those big raffle cages that you spin. The rattling increases the harder you step on the accelerator but at highway speeds is not audible anymore (likely due to road noise drowning out the sound). It seems to come from the front driver's side. I can also hear it with the windows down. Persistent since last week.

Has anyone else had this issue or know what might be causing this?????? Thank you!
You might've a rock stuck in your brake system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts