Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. So I do rideshare driving. I'm wondering what would be the best tires that will save me the most money. I am averaging 55mpg w/ Michelin energy saver and I heard you get less 3-4 MPG with Goodyear assurance maxlife tires. Michelin tires last about 60k miles and Goodyear assurance maxlife last about 80k.

My scenario:
Michelin energy saver cost 730$, will last 60k miles, 55mpg
Goodyear Assurance Maxlife cost 670$, will last 80k miles, 51mpg

I'm not very good on math, can anyone help me out figure out what would be the best for me? Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,802 Posts
Purchase cost per 80K miles for each:
Michelin = $730 / 0.75 = $973
Goodyear = $670
Michelins are $303 more for 80K miles

Fuel usage over 80K miles:
60K at 55mpg = 1091 gallons. 1091 gallons / 0.75 = 1454 gallons over 80K miles
80K miles at 51mpg = 1569 gallons over 80K miles
Michelin will require 115 gallons less fuel over 80K miles. At $4/gallon, it's a $460 difference in favor of the Michelins.

In the end, Michelins win by $157 if gas is $4/gallon. $2.63/gal for gas is the break-even price to make the increased cost of the Michelins a wash. I don't ever see gas prices getting there again. Unless the prices you noted are all-inclusive, this is not factoring in any other incidentals like mounting/balancing, disposal and tax which would be slightly higher for the Goodyears due to more frequent replacement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Purchase cost per 80K miles for each:
Michelin = $730 / 0.75 = $973
Goodyear = $670
Michelins are $303 more for 80K miles

Fuel usage over 80K miles:
60K at 55mpg = 1091 gallons. 1091 gallons / 0.75 = 1454 gallons over 80K miles
80K miles at 51mpg = 1569 gallons over 80K miles
Michelin will require 115 gallons less fuel over 80K miles. At $4/gallon, it's a $460 difference in favor of the Michelins.

In the end, Michelins win by $157 if gas is $4/gallon. $2.63/gal for gas is the break-even price to make the increased cost of the Michelins a wash. I don't ever see gas prices getting there again. Unless the prices you noted are all-inclusive, this is not factoring in any other incidentals like mounting/balancing, disposal and tax which would be slightly higher for the Goodyears due to more frequent replacement.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your time for your inputs.

Now, the real question is if Goodyear assurance maxlife really decrease your mpg by 3-4. I think insightfu1 is using goodyear maxlife and said his mpg went down by 3-4mpg. Anyone else is using Goodyear tires over here?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts
Maxlife vs Energy Saver
  • 24lbs per tire vs 20 lbs per tire
  • Tread depth of 11/32 vs 8/32.
  • 6 years/85k miles vs 6 years/55k miles.
Other alternatives:
Vredestein Hitrac
Rectangle Font Pattern Number Circle

Font Parallel Monochrome photography Monochrome Rectangle

Continental TrueContact Tour (Tirerack test results vs GoodYear Maxlife)
Rectangle Font Magenta Pattern Circle

Font Number Brand Logo Rectangle

You're giving up wet traction and tread depth when going for a low rolling resistance tire like the Energy Saver. Saving money on gas is good but having your vehicle stop when you need it to is more important. An accident is going to cost you more than a few mpgs per tank.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you ever buy tires, I recommend buying online on big sale days for biggest discounts. I got both my sets of MaxLifes during sales for around $450. I was getting in the 50’s mpg wise when I had energy saver and have never broken 50mpg with MaxLife.

Honestly I don’t know why I don’t get extraordinary mpg with the super light wheels I have.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Oh and btw: I’ve only had 1 set of energy savers (which came with car) but they lasted only 45k.. changed them out at 4/32. I’ve had 2 sets of MaxLife that went for 75k and 70k, both changed out at 4/32 as well.

·
Registered
618 Posts
My guess is that your new wheels aren't aero wheels like the stock wheels.
yeah that’s possible.. it’s just that my new wheels are significantly lighter than stock (stock = 23 lbs, my wheels = a little under 17lbs) but there’s also my heavier tire..a good comparison would be with the energy savers and my new wheels.. plus I was thinking the Insight’s calibration doesn’t take into account aftermarket wheels so maybe the mpg readout is wrong.. In that case I would have to do some math myself.

edit: I was just thinking if anyone knew exactly how the Insight calculates mpg that we see.. that would be critical in finding out if mpg reading is off..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here's a fairly easy way to verify your mpg for one fill up without having to calculate any difference caused by the tire diameter changing:

1. Fill your tank and make note of the mileage on the odometer (odo1).
2. Drive until you need to fill up again. This time, note the number of gallons (g) you add to fill your tank and the new odometer reading (odo2).
3. Your mpg for that tank will be (odo2 - odo1) / g

You can compare that with what the car tells you you're getting.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I think I figured out how the Insight calculates MPG. Most likely, it’s taking it from the fuel gauge and odometer, it’s assuming that the fuel gauge is accurate. I don’t think Honda would place all these expensive sensors on the wheels to measure things for mpg calculation. Therefore, most likely my mpg reading is accurate because if my wheels gave better fuel efficiency, it would show in the fuel gauge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m surprised Continental Control Contact Tour didn’t make the list, 21 lbs a tire, and 70K warranty. I have the Touring model and I can get ~54 MPG pretty easy in the summer. Another factor to consider is what happens if I get a flat tire. Only 2 tires I consider are Michelin or Continental for their Roadside Hazard Warranty. We don’t have a spare so if we get a flat, then what? Michelin and Continental are the only 2 that have good warranties for this. Continental you have to register your tires after getting. If you blow a tire they will cover towing and a new replacement up to a time period or pro rate a replacement. I recommend reading up on both. I dont think Goodyear offers this. The other option is to buy Roadside Hazard through a 3rd party or company who put your tires on. I never buy these and rely on the tire manufacturer Roadside for that. In my humble opinion with what I’ve read on this tred, Michelin is the easy winner.

I’ve got just over 111K miles now and in in the same boat, need tires. This will be the 3rd set. To date, I’ve always ran Continental. Prior cars I’ve always used Michelin. I like them both. I am going to wait for the Labor Day sales :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think I figured out how the Insight calculates MPG. Most likely, it’s taking it from the fuel gauge and odometer, it’s assuming that the fuel gauge is accurate...
That seems logical. I recommend you try taking a photo of your odometer at your next two fill ups, and the gas pump's display at the second one. Then you can easily do the calculation. You can see if the car's mpg equals your actual mpg 😎 😎

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So uhh... I went to Goodyear to get my tires replaced for maxlife and they replaced my tires with weather ready tires. I told them specifically I wanted maxlife. They told me before hand that they have maxlife in stock, but after I got a call from them that my car is ready to get picked up, they said they were out of maxlife and went ahead and installed weather ready without my consent. I'm like wtf... You can't do that ****. I told them to install my tires back because I don't want weather ready tires and I'm not paying for anything they have done on my car including the wheel alignment.

And now I've decided to order continental true contact tour online and will give it a shot. But the question is, since goodyear have already done wheel alignment on my car should I still get a wheel alignment when I get my continental tires installed?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts
And now I've decided to order continental true contact tour online and will give it a shot. But the question is, since goodyear have already done wheel alignment on my car should I still get a wheel alignment when I get my continental tires installed?
The alignment should be within the margin of error if you'll be using the same wheel and tire size. Double check your new Continental tires are the ones you want when they arrive. Continental sells a variety of tires with the word "Contact" and not all of them are highly rated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So uhh... I went to Goodyear to get my tires replaced for maxlife and they replaced my tires with weather ready tires. I told them specifically I wanted maxlife. They told me before hand that they have maxlife in stock, but after I got a call from them that my car is ready to get picked up, they said they were out of maxlife and went ahead and installed weather ready without my consent. I'm like wtf... You can't do that ****. I told them to install my tires back because I don't want weather ready tires and I'm not paying for anything they have done on my car including the wheel alignment.
thats crazy, they just on their own decided to put weather ready instead of calling you and asking. that is one store I would not go back to.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats crazy, they just on their own decided to put weather ready instead of calling you and asking. that is one store I would not go back to.
Yea it’s crazy. My time was wasted.

I’m actually excited to try this true contact tour tires on my insight. My car is at 117k miles and this will be my 3rd time changing my tires. I’ve been using the stock tires which is the Michelin energy saver and been getting 55k+ miles on them before I replace them. And my lifetime mpg is at 55, never changed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry to hear that. I'm interested to hear your update. Any difference in ride quality or road handling, so far?
The ride quality/comfort, handling, noise is a "little better" that's for sure, but the way i'm getting 45-47 mpg at the moment is not looking good for me. Only reason I didn't get the stock tires because there was no available at my area.

I'm hoping to get at least 50mpg with this tires as I drive more. Take note I do rideshare driving.

Will update more next week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts