Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. So I do rideshare driving. I'm wondering what would be the best tires that will save me the most money. I am averaging 55mpg w/ Michelin energy saver and I heard you get less 3-4 MPG with Goodyear assurance maxlife tires. Michelin tires last about 60k miles and Goodyear assurance maxlife last about 80k.

My scenario:
Michelin energy saver cost 730$, will last 60k miles, 55mpg
Goodyear Assurance Maxlife cost 670$, will last 80k miles, 51mpg

I'm not very good on math, can anyone help me out figure out what would be the best for me? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Purchase cost per 80K miles for each:
Michelin = $730 / 0.75 = $973
Goodyear = $670
Michelins are $303 more for 80K miles

Fuel usage over 80K miles:
60K at 55mpg = 1091 gallons. 1091 gallons / 0.75 = 1454 gallons over 80K miles
80K miles at 51mpg = 1569 gallons over 80K miles
Michelin will require 115 gallons less fuel over 80K miles. At $4/gallon, it's a $460 difference in favor of the Michelins.

In the end, Michelins win by $157 if gas is $4/gallon. $2.63/gal for gas is the break-even price to make the increased cost of the Michelins a wash. I don't ever see gas prices getting there again. Unless the prices you noted are all-inclusive, this is not factoring in any other incidentals like mounting/balancing, disposal and tax which would be slightly higher for the Goodyears due to more frequent replacement.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your time for your inputs.

Now, the real question is if Goodyear assurance maxlife really decrease your mpg by 3-4. I think insightfu1 is using goodyear maxlife and said his mpg went down by 3-4mpg. Anyone else is using Goodyear tires over here?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So uhh... I went to Goodyear to get my tires replaced for maxlife and they replaced my tires with weather ready tires. I told them specifically I wanted maxlife. They told me before hand that they have maxlife in stock, but after I got a call from them that my car is ready to get picked up, they said they were out of maxlife and went ahead and installed weather ready without my consent. I'm like wtf... You can't do that ****. I told them to install my tires back because I don't want weather ready tires and I'm not paying for anything they have done on my car including the wheel alignment.

And now I've decided to order continental true contact tour online and will give it a shot. But the question is, since goodyear have already done wheel alignment on my car should I still get a wheel alignment when I get my continental tires installed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats crazy, they just on their own decided to put weather ready instead of calling you and asking. that is one store I would not go back to.
Yea it’s crazy. My time was wasted.

I’m actually excited to try this true contact tour tires on my insight. My car is at 117k miles and this will be my 3rd time changing my tires. I’ve been using the stock tires which is the Michelin energy saver and been getting 55k+ miles on them before I replace them. And my lifetime mpg is at 55, never changed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry to hear that. I'm interested to hear your update. Any difference in ride quality or road handling, so far?
The ride quality/comfort, handling, noise is a "little better" that's for sure, but the way i'm getting 45-47 mpg at the moment is not looking good for me. Only reason I didn't get the stock tires because there was no available at my area.

I'm hoping to get at least 50mpg with this tires as I drive more. Take note I do rideshare driving.

Will update more next week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts