Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There doesn't seem to be many people modifying these yet...or maybe they aren't posting pics. So here you go.

2019 Insight Lx (Paid $21,800 before ttl)
Added Tint
Removed Emblems
Added 18" Si Wheels
Added Black Katzkin Leather

Still getting 49 - 49.5 mpg after adding 18" wheels. I drive 60+ miles a day 90% highway @ 65mph. I'd probably get better if there weren't so many hills and stop lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like the 18" Civic Si wheels, they look nice. I was wondering about them (same as Civic Touring 18" wheels?) but thought the extra weight might hurt my MPG more than you're saying.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Those wheels look SHARP on the Insight!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I believe our front seats have side airbags, will the Katzkin leather interfere with deployment?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was worried about the decrease in mileage... so much so that I waited 2 weeks before contacting the guy selling his Si wheels. I'm glad to say the 18's have not affected my mileage at all. I've always gotten 49.5 mpg as long as I don't idle too much.

My gauge measures 48.4 mpg, but it always reads 1 mpg less than I actually calculate at fill up. So, this tank, I got 49.4 mpg with the 18's.

The difference between the Si wheels and the Touring wheels is the color of the inner portion on the spokes. They both have polished faces, but the Si has black inserts and the touring has grey inserts. I personally prefer the black.

For anyone else interested, there are at least 4 or 5 others selling their Si wheels on a civic forum. All of them are selling theirs for around $700. I paid $650 for fresh take offs. I found a local guy selling his on their forum (civicx.com)

Katzkins are designed to allow full function of the side air bags.

I asked the sales lady if roadwire is comparable and she recommended the katzkins because they are "higher quality leather". Btw, she sells both brands. They charge $1475 for the leather and install. I paid 974 + tax. I know someone that knows someone and I was able to use their high volume discount

I hope this helps someone who is in the same position I was in.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
What tires came on the Si wheels? I'm looking at a Touring and want some more quiet tires than the stock ones. If I can kill two birds with one stone for cheaper with tires and wheels together, I'll do it. Otherwise I'll just go with a deal on wheels and find good tires to go with them.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
If the factory tires are still attached to the SI wheels, they're likely the Goodyear Eagle Sport all season tires. But there was a 3-month error on initial 2019 Civic SI models, which put Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 performance summer tires on instead (and triggered Honda TSB)... so it's a good idea to double check which one you're getting before buying.

Honda was supposed to drill holes in the sidewall after replacing the summer tires, but I've seen posts from people who got "free" summer tires on 2019 SI's and are selling them after getting the intended all season tire from Honda.

2019 Honda Civic SI - NHTSA ID Number: 10152440 - Manufacturer Communication Number: AST181201
"We're currently looking at an issue where the tires installed on the 2019 Civic Si (sedan and coupe) do not match what is listed on the Monroney label. Vehicles produced between October and December 2018 were equipped with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 high performance summer tires, however, the Monroney label affixed to the vehicle indicates that these vehicles are equipped with Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season tires. We expect to have a resolution in January 2019."

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine came with Goodyear Eagle Sport all season tires...235 40r18

They are loud and rough. I knew I was trading a little comfort for looks. I'm ok with the trade off...but I know some would not be.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts

They are loud and rough. I knew I was trading a little comfort for looks. I'm ok with the trade off...but I know some would not be.
My local Costco started carrying a new Bridgestone tire called QuietTrack. Found a wired article talking about how they're made for electric vehicles and designed to reduce tire noise. https://www.wired.com/story/bridgestone-turanza-quiettrack-tire/

I think I'm willing to sacrifice some MPGs for reduced tire noise when it comes time to replace my OEM tires.

Reactions: Wasabi

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts

Just a heads up, that your speedometer could be unreliable now due to a change in tire size.

Are you sure you would sacrifice some mpg with them on an Insight? Wonder how much if so? I agree I'd give a little mpg up for a decent+ decrease in noise.
The QuietTrack tires(22 pounds) don't appear to be low rolling resistance and are 2 pounds heavier per tire than the Energy Saver tires(20 pounds). Tire is still too new for adequate amount of customer reviews on long term usage.

I've been happy with the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires so far. I've read in other forums that the tire gets "noisy" above 10-15k miles, but I haven't experienced this yet. When it comes time to replace, I'm leaning toward the same Michelin Energy Saver tire.

https://www.tflcar.com/2019/03/long-term-update-how-have-these-michelin-energy-saver-tires-held-up-after-14000-miles/
I buy my tires from Costco(mainly for the included 5 year road hazard warranty) and they don't stock the Energy Saver tire. I had a mild winter earlier this year but I don't think the Energy Saver tire will cut it for New England winter if tirerack customer reviews are accurate.

I had used Michelin Defender tires on my previous vehicles but the ones that fit the Insight EX which Costco sells weigh 25 pounds per tire according to tirerack...

·
Registered
124 Posts
There doesn't seem to be many people modifying these yet...or maybe they aren't posting pics. So here you go.

Added Tint
Removed Emblems
Added 18" Si Wheels

Still getting 49 - 49.5 mpg after adding 18" wheels. I drive 60+ miles a day 90% highway @ 65mph. I'd probably get better if there weren't so many hills and stop lights.
Those wheels look FANTASTIC! Makes my LX look like a baby wahhhh wahhhh wahhhh :grin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hahahaha...it was a big decision! I didn't want to upgrade the wheels and end up with 40mpg. I couldn't be happier! 2nd tank of gas just finished and I ended up with 50.5mpg on the 18's. They are a pain in the a55 to keep clean though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hahahaha...it was a big decision! I didn't want to upgrade the wheels and end up with 40mpg. I couldn't be happier! 2nd tank of gas just finished and I ended up with 50.5mpg on the 18's. They are a pain in the a55 to keep clean though.
Have you tried that Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax? My bi-monthly washes equate to just taking a water hose to it and rinse it off. It's pretty much the same with the wheels - very minimal cleaning maintenace.

Though the wheels look killer and I'd love to have them on my ride, since I'm sitting in the car I don't even get to see the wheels. So IMO all the external extras done to make the car stand out it's for everyone else to see. The only time I get to enjoy it is right before I get in the car, when I get out and if I pull up a chair and stair at it hahahaha. So for me I'll keep a photo of your car and drool and then I'm over it LOL!!

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
Have you tried that Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax? My bi-monthly washes equate to just taking a water hose to it and rinse it off. It's pretty much the same with the wheels - very minimal cleaning maintenace.
The Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax does a good job keeping the exterior of the wheel clean. I'm just not sure what to use to keep the interior of the wheel clean(without needing to take the wheel off and using a brush).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll definitely try the McGuire's! The black inserts get dusty real fast.

The tires have the same diameter as the 16's. In fact, the lx 16's, the touring 17's, and the Si 18's all have the same diameter tire (25.4") meaning it doesn't effect the speedometer. If you get a larger or smaller diameter tire, the speedo would be off.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Added Tint
Removed Emblems
Added 18" Si Wheels

What year(s) did the Si come with that style 18" - 2016-2018?

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts