Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hearing a rotating sound really loud under 10mph first thing in the morning when rolling out of my driveway. Its in a rotation sound. It makes a "dub-dub" sound every time it's rotating. My Touring trim has 20k miles on it with Snow tires. It sounds like inside the wheels, inside brake housing,...bearings?

Anyone having this issue first thing in the morning? It disappears after driving above 15mph.

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
I'm hearing a rotating sound really loud under 10mph first thing in the morning when rolling out of my driveway. Its in a rotation sound. It makes a "dub-dub" sound every time it's rotating. My Touring trim has 20k miles on it with Snow tires. It sounds like inside the wheels, inside brake housing,...bearings?

Anyone having this issue first thing in the morning? It disappears after driving above 15mph.
What exactly is a "dub-dub" sound? Does it sound the same if you hear it from the outside with the windows down?

·
Registered
148 Posts
i experience this occasionally when snow builds up inside the wheel wells and rubs on the tires.

could also be your parking brake grabbing a little bit. you could try engaging it a few times while rolling very slowly to remove built up corrosion scale. i would do this on the warmest of days because the cold could potentially freeze up the actuation cables and cause the brakes to not disengage.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

What exactly is a "dub-dub" sound? Does it sound the same if you hear it from the outside with the windows down?
Yes is sounds the same with the windows down

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i experience this occasionally when snow builds up inside the wheel wells and rubs on the tires.

could also be your parking brake grabbing a little bit. you could try engaging it a few times while rolling very slowly to remove built up corrosion scale. i would do this on the warmest of days because the cold could potentially freeze up the actuation cables and cause the brakes to not disengage.
I will try activating the parking brake when it's warmer outside. I get car washes every other day so I don't think it's snow build up inside the wheel wells.

Under 10mph first thing in the morning, as I roll off my driveway I hear a "dub-dub-dub-dub" as tires roll under 10mph. Something is hitting the tires or inside brakes

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't know how this could possibly be the problem, but did you only begin to hear this noise after installing snow tires? If so, I would suspect something amiss with the tires themselves

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't know how this could possibly be the problem, but did you only begin to hear this noise after installing snow tires? If so, I would suspect something amiss with the tires themselves
I agree, not on this car but on others I've heard this type of noise with a "bad" tire. Have you hit any curbs lately? You could try rotating the tires and see if the sound follows one of them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would think it's just rust on the brakes. Happens to me usually after rain or snow. Goes away rapidly.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
I would think it's just rust on the brakes. Happens to me usually after rain or snow. Goes away rapidly.
I concur with Pasei on this. First thing in the morning at low speeds would be a tell. The fact you get frequent car washes also introduces water into the equation. If it goes away after the first normal stop, it's probably the case. Peek through your rims in the morning and see if you have a slight rust film. If you do and hear the sound, this is normal.

Something like a bearing would not go away and would be worse under the load of cornering.

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
@RcLab1 should still get it checked if the techs can easily replicate the sound. I'm still curious what is a "dub-dub" sound, lol.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Did you have to make an emergency stop/braking? I flattened some tires on a prior Nissan pick up (when the trucks were smaller) to avoid hitting deer on the road.
I ended up having to buy a set of 4 new tires because there wasn't any way for the tire guys to 'file' out the flat spots on the tire. It doesn't exactly sound like what you're
experiencing, since it goes away. . . just a thought, anyway.

·
Registered
836 Posts
My vote is rust and/or freezing on rotors/pads.

Just because it hasn't been asked, have you checked your tire pressure lately? Rubber when cold can be "freeze" the shape of the tire that sat all night, and after a few revolutions usually resolves itself. If you are under inflated, this can be exacerbated, and can create a low speed, first drive sound.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do park outside in freezing temps. Average 17 F outside. Is it a flat spot on the tire? That "dub-dub" sound seems inside the rim/brake housing area?!?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I do park outside in freezing temps. Average 17 F outside. Is it a flat spot on the tire? That "dub-dub" sound seems inside the rim/brake housing area?!?
It's not exactly a "true flat spot" if it's a frozen rubber issue, basically the tire freezes when it sits (which isn't a perfect circle).

Now you do have winter tires, which should have rubber better designed for the cold. You could also have rust build up on the rotor, a caliper pin issue, pads freezing over, etc... It's not something easily diagnosed remotely. The lower frequency of sound, the harder it is for humans to locate it, also the amount of NVH material between the driver and the tire makes it much harder to isolate.

You said it happens in the morning, and once you break a certain speed it seems to stop? This would lend credence to the rust/ice build up theory. It could also be the parking brake (e-brake) not disengaging completely. (that would generally be a sound in the rear of the vehicle). Just to name a few possible causes.

Reactions: LowRider

·
Registered
836 Posts

Really loud, to clarify, are we talking "need earplugs" loud, someone yelling loud, normal conversation level loud?

When you pull out of your driveway, are you generally speaking "dragging your brakes"?. Do you pull out of your driveway in reverse?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Really loud, to clarify, are we talking "need earplugs" loud, someone yelling loud, normal conversation level loud?

When you pull out of your driveway, are you generally speaking "dragging your brakes"?. Do you pull out of your driveway in reverse?
I pull out in reverse for 30ft...then put on "D" going under 10mph for 100ft. The "dub-dub" is not loud but it's a definite noise I can hear inside the car with windows up. It sounds just like a flat spot in a tire, but it seems just-a little louder then a flat spot sound on the tire (it happens once every one rotation of the tire). My alignment is good & balance tires is good too (steering wheel does not shake at 55-75mph).

I'm bummed this is happening:-(

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
I pull out in reverse for 30ft...then put on "D" going under 10mph for 100ft. The "dub-dub" is not loud but it's a definite noise I can hear inside the car with windows up. It sounds just like a flat spot in a tire, but it seems just-a little louder then a flat spot sound on the tire (it happens once every one rotation of the tire). My alignment is good & balance tires is good too (steering wheel does not shake at 55-75mph).

I'm bummed this is happening:-(
Maybe you have something small stuck on your tire if it happens once every one rotation?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Maybe you have something small stuck on your tire if it happens once every one rotation?
Original description suggested that the issue goes away at speeds >15 mph... but maybe it's still there but a less noticeable noise once at higher wheel revolutions (?).

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
Original description suggested that the issue goes away at speeds >15 mph... but maybe it's still there but a less noticeable noise once at higher wheel revolutions (?).
Yeah, I'm thinking it might be something really small that's stuck to the tire which can only be heard at low speed. You will need a bigger object stuck to the tire for you to hear it at faster speeds. I once had a big nail on my tire where I heard it with each rotation even when I was going really fast.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts