Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 was the model refresh year for the Kia Niro which debuted in the US market in 2017. Motor Trend's latest article compares the 2020 Kia Niro to three more established hybrid models: Prius, Insight and Ioniq.

Criticisms of the Kia Niro include hesitant gas engine, clunky transmission, and aggressive braking transition. Motor Trend's test drive fuel economy also ended up lower in the 2020 model than the 2017 model. In contrast, the Honda Insight is complimented by Motor Trend for its rate of acceleration, transmission, and braking.

Kia NiroToyota PriusHonda InsightHyundai Ioniq
Combined Output139 hp
195 lb ft
121 hp
105 lb ft
152 hp
200 lb ft
139 hp
195 lb ft
Transmission6-speed dual clutcheCVTeCVT6-speed dual clutch
0 to 60 mph Accel.9.2 sec9.8 sec7.3 sec8.4 sec
60 to 0 Stop Distance132 ft131 ft122 ft129 ft
Combined Economy50 mpg52 mpg52 mpg55 mpg
Cargo Area22.4 cu ft27.4 cu ft15.1 cu ft26.5 cu ft

·
Registered
149 Posts
I looked at at Niro before deciding on the Insight...trunk space wasn't worth it and it didn't look like much storage compared to a sedan... Insight needs more power... it is sluggish even in sPoRt mode. Electric torque should be priority and bigger battery would certainly help the car. Get at least a 5KW battery in the rear and you'll have way more torque... should be a sub 5 second car... well that might take 10kw from the battery... Engine and battery probably couldn't delivery enough power to get sub 5 second with the current engine/transmission design. I still love my car..just wish it was quicker...After driving a model 3 its quite apparent why people love Tesla so much...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I looked at at Niro before deciding on the Insight...trunk space wasn't worth it and it didn't look like much storage compared to a sedan... Insight needs more power... it is sluggish even in sPoRt mode. Electric torque should be priority and bigger battery would certainly help the car. Get at least a 5KW battery in the rear and you'll have way more torque... should be a sub 5 second car... well that might take 10kw from the battery... Engine and battery probably couldn't delivery enough power to get sub 5 second with the current engine/transmission design. I still love my car..just wish it was quicker...After driving a model 3 its quite apparent why people love Tesla so much...
My wife saw a Kia Niro hybrid on the road the other day and she asked me what car it was. She liked how it looked. I told her there's an electric version too.

The question about the Insight doing 0-60 in sub 5 sec got me really thinking.... Sorry but my mind started rambling on.. hope this does make some sense.

My model 3 Long Range single motor (it's one of the slow Tesla's) is a 4.9 sec car (sub 5 second) and through OBD tool and scan my Tesla app, the car pulls 276 kw (370 hp) to make that 4.9 sec. Here's a screenshot of the car being floored.

Screenshot_20200603-192828__01.jpg

It's been a long long time since I've taken mechanics...

P=Fd/t = ma*v where a (average acceleration) and v (velocity) are constant. Recall that F=ma and v=d/t.

For 0-60 mph per unit time. If "a" and "v" are constant, then P (power) is proportional to the mass. Model 3 weighs 4000 lb, and Insight is 3000 lb. So if the Model 3 needs 370 hp then Insight would need 3/4 of that as weight to power are proportional. 370 hp *3/4=277 hp for the Insight. I also put the power mass and time into the carspecs Edmunds calculator so my 277 hp checks out.

Screenshot_20210113-233856.jpg

The Insight is 151 max combined hp, so to make that 0-60 of 5.0 sec, then an extra 126 hp (94 kw) is needed.

5 kWh battery is a unit of energy, not power. So let's see how how long a 5kWh battery can sustain a 94 kW discharge, the additional power to make that sub 5 second run.

5 kW-h / 94 kW * (3600 s/h) = 191 s = 3 minutes 11 secs. Since this is greater than 5 secs the battery does have the capacity to discharge that power.

Although the battery theoretically has enough energy to discharge 94 kW for more than 5 secs, will the battery catch fire and blow up while doing so? That's something I have no experience with.

Certainly the Insight would need a much larger inverter to provide that extra 94 kW boost.

The torque and acceleration of the Tesla is addicting. I only drove it 2 miles today but I floored it at least 6-8 times and it's one of the slow ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts