1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
836 Posts
Had the Insight Driver known that 0 miles range equals 9 gallons consumed therefore = 1.6 gallons of gas left, he could have easily made it there. Granted most of us get fuel anxiety when the tank is that low.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had the Insight Driver known that 0 miles range equals 9 gallons consumed therefore = 1.6 gallons of gas left, he could have easily made it there. Granted most of us get fuel anxiety when the tank is that low.
I thought about that too given that the driver of the Insight (along with others probably) were willing to risk damage to emissions control systems by topping off. I try to avoid dipping into the 1.6G reserve with the thinking that moisture that collects in the tank would be more likely to get consumed by the engine as you run low, but I do find myself getting close as I try to time my fuel ups when I'm outside Chicago city limits where fuel taxes are lower. (a one or two gallon fillup to get by goes a long way).

Here the likely reason was fuel anxiety, with changing road/weather conditions. So with 18 miles range left showing, and Ash Fork being 20 miles away - that was a pretty safe Plan D. Pushing another 20 miles (-20 mile range) would have been Williams which by GasBuddy today has gas 15 cents cheaper per gallon fill up and by my math (always looking for a story problem to exercise the old brain), would have gotten them another $2 in savings which is why it was their Plan B. (Plan A = no fill up en route). I did check the math for two other gas stations further along the route that were $2.99 and $3.29/gallon but they wouldn't have saved more than a Williams fill up - let alone more anxiety miles).

Alas in the ideal world, the Ioniq driver would have made it to Williams (EPA 59 mpg hwy) and used less gas in the remaining 50 miles to the finish line and beaten the Insight.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Also interesting was that unless it was a typo, they claimed the Ioniq only managed 49.39 mpg compared to the Insights 52.09 mpg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After reading that, I was glad that the Insight came out on top; but I was left wondering how in the world a regular Joe was allowed to have a car with police markings, a siren and flashers?

·
Registered
836 Posts
After reading that, I was glad that the Insight came out on top; but I was left wondering how in the world a regular Joe was allowed to have a car with police markings, a siren and flashers?
It's motor-trend. They test police vehicles regularly. They must have a decent relationship with their local department.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Agreed, my only thought is that the Ioniq must suffer a greater "terrain tax", even with it's traditional 6 speed transmission, if the battery depleted it must be working hard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts