Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has already been answered...

The owner's manual says never attach any objects to the windshield that could obstruct the camera's field of vision and cause the system to operate abnormally... In my other vehicles I have mounted my EZPass near/behind the rear view mirror, but that would be close to the camera unit. And that section of the windshield has some sort of black dot screen on it, no idea why.

Does anyone know if there's a good location to mount an EZPass transponder? Our Maryland ones aren't very big - about 4" long, 2" height, and they are 1" deep at their deepest. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Sorry if this has already been answered...

The owner's manual says never attach any objects to the windshield that could obstruct the camera's field of vision and cause the system to operate abnormally... In my other vehicles I have mounted my EZPass near/behind the rear view mirror, but that would be close to the camera unit. And that section of the windshield has some sort of black dot screen on it, no idea why.

Does anyone know if there's a good location to mount an EZPass transponder? Our Maryland ones aren't very big - about 4" long, 2" height, and they are 1" deep at their deepest. Thank you!

I mounted mine on the right of the camera box where I circled in red.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I mounted ours in front of the mirror, so out of the line of sight of driver. Looks a little low from the outside, but you can’t see it at all when driving.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Here are a couple additional (non-windshield) positioning suggestions from other forum members:
@Carfreak09 - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/19916-post5.html
Place toll transponder on right side of phone holder area and prop phone on it. Keeps phone cool, screen toward driver, & easy to pick up.
@Honda2019 - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/9110-post108.html
Attach transponder to upper deck of dashboard, but away from the front light sensor (see link for photo).​

A few other out-of-the-box ideas, for portability:

Subaru is the only car manufacturer to-date that provides specific guidelines for mounting toll transponders. (States provide recommendations, but it isn't specific to a manufacturer's specific design.) The Subaru Eyesight differs from Honda Sensing's windshield camera, but Subaru's overall recommendation is to use the license plate mounted transponder if available, OR place transponders at least 6" away from the front camera.

And lastly, while it won't help the positioning question on the Insight right this minute... the 2019 Audi eTron is the first car to implement a 'universal' integrated toll module (ITM) built into the rearview mirror backside, valid for US, Canada, and Mexico. Hopefully Honda adopts in a few years, and the question of where to place toll transponder (and other devices) becomes a non-issue, instead built into the rearview mirror.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Put mine about 2 inches under the camera in the center. It's not causing any trouble. They're just being paranoid about the placement and covering their butts. Use common sense and I'm sure you won't have trouble.

·
Registered
115 Posts
In the SF Bay area we have FasTrak. When I opened the account it allows one to add additional vehicles by inputting their license numbers. I have 5 vehicles and simply added all 5 vehicle to the account.

Normally when one passes through the toll without a transponder (1) a photo is taken of the license plate and (2) a bill for the toll amount plus a $25 fine is sent to the registered owner.

In my case where my license plates are loaded into my account, when I pass through the toll (without a transponder) a photo is still taken, but the license number is paired up to one of those in my account and all is good. Monthly I get a statement and can confirm that I've passed through the toll.

On occassion if I'm riding in a friends car who doesn't have FasTrak I'll simply log into my account, add their license number and whalaaa away we go through the FasTrak lane instead of being stuck in traffic!

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
There's a 4" margin to the left and right of the camera, and only 1" below the camera. Placing the toll transponder to the left or right of camera area provides more clearance in this regard. Whether they're illustrative or actual representation (?), pictures of the front sensor camera suggests that the camera "looks downward" for Honda Sensing functions.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
In Colorado we have ExpressToll, the transponder is small (I don't know exact dimensions) but I put mine at the left bottom of the windshield. That's where we're supposed to place them. I'll take a pic and load it up later. . .

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think I had some very good help to figure this out from a wonderful neighbor. . .
This was showing where I put my toll road transponder!!!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts