Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read elsewhere that there is a digital speedometer but owners can’t get it to display in MPH, only KPH. Is anyone able to confirm or test on theirs to see if it’s doable?

I am really used to having one and would like to know before even taking a test drive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Seems to me that Honda could easily change that with a software patch if they wanted to. Perhaps, if enough people ask for it, they would consider it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with you Tyler: they should be able to fix with a software patch and owners should complain. I talked to Honda USA customer service and (after many calls and a trip to the dealer) convinced him the problem is with all Insights and not just mine. They then said "That's how it works- only digital speed shows in KPH." I find it a big problem as the needle on the analog speedometer is often hidden by the wheel, so you might don't know how fast you're going. Plus the owners manual says the digital speedometer IS available in MPH. Frustrating.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pages 128 and 130 have information about the tires and tire labeling. Can you double check where the Manuel has the direction to enable the digital speedometer.
Thanks!

Lon

·
Registered
455 Posts
I was at my dealer and asked about the digital speed only showing in kph. He attempted to set it to mph with no success. When I got home I researched it on an Accord owner forum. I thought they might have the same issue and sure enough it’s been discussed plenty over there. The conclusion there is that it’s the way it’s designed to work. If you’re in Canada it’s the exact opposite issue. Only shows in mpg! I sent an email off to Honda to ask if they ever plan to ‘fix’ it for us.

·
Registered
102 Posts
As a Canadian, let me say you guys are shooting yourselves in the foot not switching to metric.
The world in integrated now, and virtual every country you want to buy or sell in uses metric.
The longer you hold onto the old system, the less advantage you have in world markets.

I still remember doing my degree in the US, and in things like physics exams I would just walk up to the instructor and say I need to know how many feet are in a mile, which he would provide.
Metric just makes sense, especially for technology/science.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As stated before, there is not a digital speedometer. But you can switch units.

From Page 130.
■ Speed Unit
Enables you to show another speed unit on the driver information interface and set the displayed measurements to read in either mph and km/h.
Select the Power/Charge screen.
2 Accessing contents in the main display P. 131
Press and hold the left selector wheel when you select the Power/Charge on the driver information interface. Each time you do this, the unit will change from mph to km/h or vice versa. After this, a confirmation screen will appear for a few seconds.

·
Registered
455 Posts
As stated before, there is not a digital speedometer. But you can switch units.

From Page 130.
■ Speed Unit
Enables you to show another speed unit on the driver information interface and set the displayed measurements to read in either mph and km/h.
Select the Power/Charge screen.
2 Accessing contents in the main display P. 131
Press and hold the left selector wheel when you select the Power/Charge on the driver information interface. Each time you do this, the unit will change from mph to km/h or vice versa. After this, a confirmation screen will appear for a few seconds.
There is a digital speedometer. If you follow the instructions above it will display a digital speed in Kph in the center of the display, just above the temperature. It will also change the cruise control set speed to kph. And if you have the Trip computer up on the infotainment screen it will change that to kph. It will not change the analog speedometer. But, if you try to toggle to mph, it changes the cruise control setting and Trip computer to mph and just displays a blank area where the digital kph was on the info interface. ( Just the opposite on Canadian Insights.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was at my dealer and asked about the digital speed only showing in kph. He attempted to set it to mph with no success. When I got home I researched it on an Accord owner forum. I thought they might have the same issue and sure enough it’s been discussed plenty over there. The conclusion there is that it’s the way it’s designed to work. If you’re in Canada it’s the exact opposite issue. Only shows in mpg! I sent an email off to Honda to ask if they ever plan to ‘fix’ it for us.
I can confirm that in Canada you can only get the digital speed read-out in MPH and of course up here I would like it to be in KPH. Pretty dumb move on the part of Honda.

·
Registered
13 Posts
MPH not displayed

I’ve heard Honda’s standard line that it is not a glitch that mph is not displayed as an option. I think this is BS. MPH is displayed in all the other parts of the display, why not on the standard speed display? I am hoping for a software update to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
I'm also hopeful that a software patch can address the issue. The thread below mentions that US cars can display in KPH, while Canadian cars display in MPH. It seems like it's Honda's attempt at speedometer conversion rather than posting both concurrently (as on the dials of older cars). However, Honda has missed that drivers could benefit everyday if the display were in familiar units, without conversion.

https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/258-honda-insight-features-equipment/108-digital-speedometer-2.html

·
Registered
82 Posts
What is the issue with MPH? It is not displayed in the driver section?

Yes, I lost my Satellite radio presets and some vehicle preferences, but not all. I don’t know why some changes and others didn’t (my auto high beam setting reset, but not my door lock preferences). It was all worth it to finally get the system update issue resolved.

I love my insight, but my only remaining gripe, is the fact that mph is not displayed. Hopefully Honda will come up with some type of firmware update to resolve that issue.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Guessing he wants a digital MPH display, which isn't possible in U.S. models. But you can get a digital KPH display.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts