Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my 2019 Insight touring since 05/2019 and have noticed a handful of software issues/missing features that are honestly getting very annoying. I'm going to list them briefly and if anyone has had experience with these issue and/or has any solutions, please let me know!

1. Google Maps via Android Auto On/Off Ramps Issue
When driving on on/off ramps of the highway, it displays "Guidance Unavailable. Map data update in process." in the instrument cluster where it pops up with navigation instructions. Seems to be a problem with just Google Maps not having the graphic for on-ramps every time.

2. GPS Staying Persistent on Instrument Cluster
I've noticed recently that if I click "back" on the wheel to remove a navigation direction from the instrument cluster, it will pop back up in a few seconds and only disappear after you actually make the turn. It was not always like this and I am not sure if it was a Google Maps update, Android Auto update or a Honda issue.

3. Lane Keep & Brake Lock NOT Persistent (Missing feature)
This just seems to be unfortunate that when you turn the car off and back on, the previous state (on or off) of lane keep and brake lock do not stay - resulting in me pressing them both every single time I get in the car.

4. No Digital 'MPH' Meter (Missing feature)
I know this is a known missing feature, but it's unfortunate there's no digital display of your MPH on the dash. Unless this was added recently?...

5. Android Auto Connectivity Issue
I've seen a lot of talk on this, but I've noticed quite often that my phone has trouble connecting to the car via AA. I've gotten a new phone and new cables since getting this car, so it's not that. I believe what's happening is the car is losing BT connection with my phone sometimes and it requires me to re-pair the two devices. And it appears AA needs BT before it is able to function... Anyone find a fix for this? I've also noticed that it may take a couple times plugging in the cable for AA to work too...but that just seems like a hardware issue on Honda's end.

6. Sensitivity of Auto-Wipers & Auto-Headlights
I did find a headlights sensitivity option in the car settings, but I don't see one for the auto-wipers. I often find I'll have them on the lowest sensitivity and they may go crazy in light rain...quite annoying when no intermittent option is available.

7. Accidental Turn Signal Press
I've noticed if I accidentally press the turn signal stalk or press it the wrong direction before going to the direction I meant, my car's exterior lights will continue to blink in the wrong direction for a few seconds. Which just seems like straight up unsafe...

I absolutely love my car, but unfortunately these are just some issues that I've noticed that could all easily be fixed with software updates or additions.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Haven't heard of other mentions on this, beyond what was suggested and and you've tried in prior "Guidance Unavailable" thread - "Guidance Unavailable" Error

How did it formerly function? Sounds like previously, clicking "back" on the wheel would remove the navigation direction from DII altogether without reappearing?

To clarify, are you referring to LKAS and Brake Hold? If so, yes - Honda designed it such that LKAS button (pg 511) and Brake Hold button (pg 536-537) need to be pressed. LKAS is interlocked to speed 45-90 mph, wipers (HI), brake pedal, and turn signal. Brake Hold has interlocks on time (10 min max), driver's seat belt, parking brake, gear selection (P or R) and power cycle (on/off)... there is a lot of programming to undo if one wanted to change either of those outside of Honda spec. On the bright side (?), there is a way to engage and release the parking brake automatically, if that's of any consolation or interest (OM pg 534) - Automatic Parking Brake feature - how to activate & use

Digital speed display is still only available as KPH (vs MPH) for US models. This was still present on the 2020 model, and I don't think any new software updates have come out since. - 2020 Honda Insight arriving at dealerships tomorrow(7/16/2019)!

@Falconer previously observed that bluetooth and Android Auto couldn't be connected at the same time unless Google Assistant was turned off, with regard to playing music - Android auto and bluetooth not at the same time

@Uladzislau and @hmcca mentioned that resetting the head unit helped bring AA back online - Android Auto stopped working

Touring models have a rainfall sensor (pg , infrared?) and light sensor (pg 194) that's mounted toward the passenger side of the camera for Honda Sensing. I haven't seen anything in manual that mentions being able to control the rainfall sensor via the infotainment system; it seems to be standalone and still annoying/inconsistent in operation for Touring owners - Rain Sensing Wipers (Touring)

This is actually one of the features I 'like' about the Insight compared to my older Hondas. Honda calls it the "one-touch turn signal" (pg 193). Pushing up/down and releasing the turn signal lever triggers the turn signal to blink 3 times. I haven't tried it, but does pushing the stalk in the opposite direction maybe stop the blinking (?) - Favorite Feature of Honda Insight?

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
So I've had my 2019 Insight touring since 05/2019 and have noticed a handful of software issues/missing features that are honestly getting very annoying. I'm going to list them briefly and if anyone has had experience with these issue and/or has any solutions, please let me know!

When driving on on/off ramps of the highway, it displays "Guidance Unavailable. Map data update in process." in the instrument cluster where it pops up with navigation instructions. Seems to be a problem with just Google Maps not having the graphic for on-ramps every time.

I've noticed recently that if I click "back" on the wheel to remove a navigation direction from the instrument cluster, it will pop back up in a few seconds and only disappear after you actually make the turn. It was not always like this and I am not sure if it was a Google Maps update, Android Auto update or a Honda issue.

This just seems to be unfortunate that when you turn the car off and back on, the previous state (on or off) of lane keep and brake lock do not stay - resulting in me pressing them both every single time I get in the car.

I know this is a known missing feature, but it's unfortunate there's no digital display of your MPH on the dash. Unless this was added recently?...

I've seen a lot of talk on this, but I've noticed quite often that my phone has trouble connecting to the car via AA. I've gotten a new phone and new cables since getting this car, so it's not that. I believe what's happening is the car is losing BT connection with my phone sometimes and it requires me to re-pair the two devices. And it appears AA needs BT before it is able to function... Anyone find a fix for this? I've also noticed that it may take a couple times plugging in the cable for AA to work too...but that just seems like a hardware issue on Honda's end.

I did find a headlights sensitivity option in the car settings, but I don't see one for the auto-wipers. I often find I'll have them on the lowest sensitivity and they may go crazy in light rain...quite annoying when no intermittent option is available.

I've noticed if I accidentally press the turn signal stalk or press it the wrong direction before going to the direction I meant, my car's exterior lights will continue to blink in the wrong direction for a few seconds. Which just seems like straight up unsafe...

I absolutely love my car, but unfortunately these are just some issues that I've noticed that could all easily be fixed with software updates or additions.
  1. Yeah, it has to do with google maps. Waze doesn't have that problem on Android Auto.
  2. The turn by turn arrows always pop up when a turn is coming up even if you're in another app like power flow. Didn't know you can make it disappear for that turn by hitting the back button...
  3. Insightfully did a good job explaining it.
  4. I agree and it's still not possible.
  5. I've been using CarPlay and AA for more than a year. CarPlay disconnected on a few occasions for me but AA has been solid outside of the bugs Waze introduced with some updates. What phone and cable do you use?
  6. Yeah, that's a common complaint about the Touring's rain sensing wipers. The intermittent wipers work well for me on the EX.
  7. You're using the temporary turn signals. You need to pull it down a little harder(until it clicks into place) to get normal turn signal operation where you can cancel them instantly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
life gets easier when you accept most of the electronical features are cheap gimmicks or high school science projects

7 is easy to fix. thats on you.

the most annoying problem i found is when transfering a call to the handset, the radio turns on (flaw 1), and mute (pushing power) doesn't work (flaw 2). you have to turn it down

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for all the help! Just some responses to what people said...

2. Yes, before (not sure before what, an update to Google Maps maybe) it would remove the navigation direction and not return when pressing the 'Back' button on the wheel. Is there a way to remove navigation instructions from the DII instrument cluster entirely?

3. @insightfully thanks for all the details on those. I wish they would stay persistent as I use them every time, but understandable. Are you sure the Brake Hold has a 10 minute timer? I've never notice it turn off during my commute - which is around 20 minutes. Also, I had the automatic function where it goes to parking gear if I undo my seat-belt before going into Park myself, but I didn't know there was also an automatic parking brake function, thanks!

5. @andrew28 I'm using a Samsung Note 10+ with a Amazon basics 1ft braided cable. I don't think it's either of those. And @insightfully huh, I swear AA will ONLY work if BT is connected first, but maybe the BT is actually interfering with AA... I'll have to play around with that.

6. @andrew28 ah I didn't realize the lower models have INT wipers! I wish the touring had BOTH Auto and INT...

7. @insightfully Ah, I didn't realize it was an intended feature, but I could see the appeal. It mainly occurs when I'm switching lanes on the highway and since the stalk doesn't auto go back to the middle, I may accidentally flip it past the middle and it'll blink in the opposite direction 3 times. Maybe if you do the "one-touch signal" in the opposite direction when this happens, it'll just cancel out - I'll have to play with that.

Also, something else I thought about..is there a low windshield washer fluid sensor/indicator? I swear it popped up when I first got the car, but haven't seen anything since when it gets low. Seems weird they left out such a basic feature lol

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Also, something else I thought about..is there a low windshield washer fluid sensor/indicator? I swear it popped up when I first got the car, but haven't seen anything since when it gets low. Seems weird they left out such a basic feature lol
The low windshield washer fluid is only available on the Canadian model. I believe their reservoir is larger as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
2. Is there a way to remove navigation instructions from the DII instrument cluster entirely?
- The owners manual (pg 139) mentions that turn-by-turn can be turned off, but I couldn't find specific mention/instruction in the sections referenced below (pg 153, pg 366). The DII views are managed by the "rolling wheel" on the left side of the steering wheel; you could try scrolling thru that menu to see if you find a place to turn off the navigation instructions there. It also may only be possible to turn it off when using a non-Android device; EX owners (without standard nav) can get the turn-by-turn info on the DII while using an Android phone. Unlocked Nav/w compass for DII on EX trim

3. Are you sure the Brake Hold has a 10 minute timer? I've never notice it turn off during my commute - which is around 20 minutes.
- To clarify, the 10 minute limit is for a single stop (vs drive duration). If the car is held in place by Brake Hold for more than 10 minutes, the parking brake will engage instead.

- Only Canadian models get the "low fluid alert" (and a larger capacity tank for washer fluid). It looks like the sensor is a component of the reservoir rather than sold separately. No US owners in forum have reported modified yet - no low washer fluid warning?

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts

2. Yes, before (not sure before what, an update to Google Maps maybe) it would remove the navigation direction and not return when pressing the 'Back' button on the wheel. Is there a way to remove navigation instructions from the DII instrument cluster entirely?

5. @andrew28 I'm using a Samsung Note 10+ with a Amazon basics 1ft braided cable. I don't think it's either of those. And @insightfully huh, I swear AA will ONLY work if BT is connected first, but maybe the BT is actually interfering with AA... I'll have to play around with that.
  1. Not that I know of... Another alternative is using Apple CarPlay which doesn't support the DII for navigation instructions.
  2. Quality control on the amazonbasic cables are kind of iffy. I recommend a certified usb-if cable. Amazon.com: Anker Powerline II USB-C to USB 3.1 Gen2 Cable(3ft), USB-IF Certified for Samsung Galaxy Note 8, S8, S8+, S9, S10, iPad Pro 2018, MacBook, Sony XZ, LG V20 G5 G6, HTC 10, Xiaomi 5 and More: Computers & Accessories

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the clarification on the Parking Brake timer! And yea I saw in this forum others saying only the Canadian model got the windshield fluid sensor. Weird that they didn't add it to the U.S. model. My 2005 Altima had that!

I looked at the manual and went through all the settings on the car's display and couldn't find anything regarding turning turn-by-turn navigation off on the DII. Only option I see is to remove navigation as one of the possible options in the scroll-wheel menu, but doing that did not help. It appears Google Maps via AA is able to "take-over" the DII and that there should be a option in the vehicle's settings, but it's just not there anymore. So seems like some weird issue with AA and Honda right now. I saw this forum for the Civic talking about the same issue I'm seeing: How to Disable Turn-by-Turn?

And @andrew28, yea I already got a replacement Amazon cable to see if it was that and still had the issues. I'd definitely prefer a Anker cable, but I don't think they have a 1ft version.

Also, no luck "cancelling" the 'one-touch signal' via any method if anyone is interested. But, I did get the automatic parking brake enabled!

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
I looked at the manual and went through all the settings on the car's display and couldn't find anything regarding turning turn-by-turn navigation off on the DII. Only option I see is to remove navigation as one of the possible options in the scroll-wheel menu, but doing that did not help. It appears Google Maps via AA is able to "take-over" the DII and that there should be a option in the vehicle's settings, but it's just not there anymore. So seems like some weird issue with AA and Honda right now. I saw this forum for the Civic talking about the same issue I'm seeing: How to Disable Turn-by-Turn?
Maybe try the infotainment settings mentioned in the Civic thread: SETTINGS --> VEHICLE --> METER SETUP --> CONFIG. OF INSTRUMENT PANEL. A post in the Civic thread mentioned being able to delete it there, but it may still persist with Android Auto per snapshot from manual shared above.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
Thanks for the clarification on the Parking Brake timer! And yea I saw in this forum others saying only the Canadian model got the windshield fluid sensor. Weird that they didn't add it to the U.S. model. My 2005 Altima had that!

And @andrew28, yea I already got a replacement Amazon cable to see if it was that and still had the issues. I'd definitely prefer a Anker cable, but I don't think they have a 1ft version.

Also, no luck "cancelling" the 'one-touch signal' via any method if anyone is interested. But, I did get the automatic parking brake enabled!
It can't be turn off for Android Auto even if you hide the "Navigation" app from the DII. Being able to remove the turn by turn instructions with the back button must've been a bug that was reported to Google and fixed. I remember a few months ago an Android Auto app update broke the turn by turn feature for me where it didn't work for Maps or Waze until the following update.

I don't think usb-if certified 1ft usb a to c cables exist so I went with a 3ft. The anker cable I linked might fix your problem with Android Auto disconnecting. Here's a recent Amazon reviewer's experience with a Note 10+.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Hey, some comments on my end.
With Waze I notice the same thing. You can click the back button on the steering wheel, but then the navigation direction pops right back up until after you make the turn assuming there's no new instruction. I also find that annoying.

As for AA, I also have a Note 10+, and am having a lot of issues. I am using a standard Samsung cable (USB-a to USB-C from my Note 7), so cable quality should be good. Overall I don't think that's the issue. However Bluetooth is a MESS. It sometimes takes a few minutes before the phone connects to the car. And while driving it often disconnects and reconnects. (Which then pauses Waze, and my Audible playback for a second or two until it reconnects).
And last week on THREE occasions I tried to manually connect BT to the car from my phone, and it completely unpaired itself on both sides. I have no idea what or why it was doing that. And I had a hard time pairing back up. I found the easiest (most successful) way to be adding my phone back from the car by going to the main menu, and then the Phone icon. And from there adding a device.
If others aren't having those issues, maybe that's a Note 10+ specific issue?
As others have said, AA requires both the USB cable and Bluetooth connectivity to work.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
And last week on THREE occasions I tried to manually connect BT to the car from my phone, and it completely unpaired itself on both sides. I have no idea what or why it was doing that. And I had a hard time pairing back up. I found the easiest (most successful) way to be adding my phone back from the car by going to the main menu, and then the Phone icon. And from there adding a device.
I don't know if this will help... but I've noticed different (volume) results when pairing my iPhone via the car "finding the phone" versus the phone "finding the car." I found the best result was the car "finding the phone" - but maybe trying / testing the opposite pairing method will yield a different (better?) result for Android phone and/or bluetooth. - CarPlay Audio Volume too low!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts