Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can't drive with the driver door open. The second you do that the car shifts into park. I'm someone who like doing this while backing in. I crack the door to check alignment with the lines. I find the Insight the most difficult to back in of my 3 cars.

also when pulling forward into my cramped garage, I crack the door open to make sure I clear the shelves by an inch else i can't fully open the door. Again once the door opens, the car immediately shifts into park to annoy me.

Not an issue with my 2013 Accord or my 2019 Model 3.

·
Super Moderator
2,690 Posts
It took my awhile to get use to backing into my parking spot to match the lines but I can do it with the backup cam on my first try now(well majority of the time).

The Insight has a couple of preventative safeguards you will discover about as you have more time to drive it. I think the open door and shifting into park automatically can be bypassed by keeping your seatbelt on if I remember correctly. Or the solution was to try sticking your head out of the window... @hasarad or @insightfully probably knows.

·
Super Moderator
1,234 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
As long as the driver's seat belt is connected/used, you can drive with the door open. I just verified it.
Ah, good to know. Wasn't aware that seatbelt was also off in your prior post about going up ramps for oil change. Leaving seatbelt on sounds like it gives the most option/flexibility to drive with the door open. I guess Honda doesn't think you'll fall out of an open door, as long as your seatbelt is on. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,234 Posts
Ah, good to know. Wasn't aware that seatbelt was also off in your prior post about going up ramps for oil change. Leaving seatbelt on sounds like it gives the most option/flexibility to drive with the door open. I guess Honda doesn't think you'll fall out of an open door, as long as your seatbelt is on. :)
I'll probably connect the seat belt behind me when I next need to go up the ramps. To your point, you can't really lean out the door with the seat belt on. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
easiest thing for me w parking forward is figure out where you fit properly and just remembering where you line up in front and to the side. I know where on the door to the house I need to line up to have door clearance and what is hanging on the wall for me to have room to get around the front of the car. As for backing in, I've never been a backup parker, so no suggestions there. When I took one of my test drives, the rep *made* me back out of the bay navigating around a parked car. Using the backup camera was easy peasy. Didn't have to look over my shoulder and had plenty of clearance.

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
easiest thing for me w parking forward is figure out where you fit properly and just remembering where you line up in front and to the side. I know where on the door to the house I need to line up to have door clearance and what is hanging on the wall for me to have room to get around the front of the car. As for backing in, I've never been a backup parker, so no suggestions there. When I took one of my test drives, the rep *made* me back out of the bay navigating around a parked car. Using the backup camera was easy peasy. Didn't have to look over my shoulder and had plenty of clearance.
Good tip! I use similar technique to know how far forward to pull into work parking spot and into garage and it works pretty consistently for familiar spaces. (But I also have concrete gardening blocks at stops in the garage; comes in handy if/when I get distracted. ;) )

Like you, I haven't been big on backing into parking spots before the Insight, but a few forum members have talked it as a way to mitigate front-end scrapes against concrete parking blocks, due to the Insight's low-clearance front-end. I got my first scrape this way, and now either back-in OR park far enough to avoid contact between the front end and parking blocks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When this gripe previously surfaced, we didn't identify any one-time deactivation options. The only 'loopholes' to the auto-park feature seemed to be driving at speeds >1 mph or using head-out-the window approach: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/8382-post9.html
As long as the driver's seat belt is connected/used, you can drive with the door open. I just verified it.
Thank you! I have been popping off the seat belt every time I pull into the garage to get a better lean out the door and park. I kept the seat belt buckled and I can drive with the door open now woohoo!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feel a little stupid asking this but is there a way to override the auto park option when a door is open? I was trying to roll my car back in a tight driveway with a slight incline so had the car in reverse with the driver door open to see, but it kept switching into park (for safety reasons I know). Can this be overridden similar too car wash mode?

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
I feel a little stupid asking this but is there a way to override the auto park option when a door is open? I was trying to roll my car back in a tight driveway with a slight incline so had the car in reverse with the driver door open to see, but it kept switching into park (for safety reasons I know). Can this be overridden similar too car wash mode?
Welcome to the forum. There's no bad question, especially when others (above) have same question. You can 'override' Park by keeping the driver's seat belt fastened (e.g. behind driver, while door is opened).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts