Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Touring model, 2019, about 20,000kms now (12,000 miles??). And like the title says, it's been a dream. Zero issues.

Anyone else having this, err, "problem"?

Fingers crossed I haven't just jinxed myself.

Registered
Touring model, 2019, about 20,000kms now (12,000 miles??). And like the title says, it's been a dream. Zero issues.

Doesn't seem unnatural. Keep in mind many of the issues some of us report, me very much included in this, are "normal" operations of the car we find to be problematic. Overall my car works perfectly. Of course Ruby seems to have an anal fetish and desperately wants to sniff the butts of other cars while on adaptive cruise control. 馃槣

Super Moderator

I think this has to do with the Insight only being fully redesigned by name and interior/exterior design only. The 3rd gen Insight is using a mature 10th gen Civic platform and 3rd gen 2-motor hybrid system (no turbo). The only thing truly new is the infotainment software/hardware and instrument cluster taken from the 10th gen Accord. Most of us probably experienced the infotainment screen reboot by itself but it seems a lot more stable than the other infotainment screens on Honda's other vehicle models where they're currently being sued.

To answer your question, it's normal. We don't have a mega-thread pertaining to one issue here, the long term testing from major publications aren't reporting any problems so far, the high mileage drivers aren't reporting problems, no manufacture investigations/TSBs from NHTSA database, and no recalls.

We do see reports of problems here but limited to a few vehicles and within a reasonable defect rate for a mass produced vehicle. Some of them are due to dealership neglect like allowing the 12v AGM battery to fully discharge which shortens the life of the battery.

For me, my Insight had brake squeak/groaning when coming to a stop, a weird rattle after resurfacing the rotors to fix the brake squeak/groaning, and the fuel door gap. All were fixed by the dealership recently and I have no complaints.

Registered
Can say mine has been perfect, got a noise coming from the glove box and can麓t find it, it is a small noise that麓s why I haven麓t taken it to the dealer but still sometimes is annoying. Other than that everything works great.

Registered
Before I bought my Honda Insight EX, I checked this website to see what complaints there were about the vehicle:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Insight/

Now I know that there may have been more issues with the Insight than reported. Not every owner is going to know about the website or post on it; but it is reassuring that there are few complaint at least compared to earlier years.

Super Moderator
Can say mine has been perfect, got a noise coming from the glove box and can麓t find it, it is a small noise that麓s why I haven麓t taken it to the dealer but still sometimes is annoying. Other than that everything works great.
Hondas have always been great/reliable for me, and the only brand I've bought. The average life on my older Hondas has been ~30 years, and I was a little nervous buying a "new generation" Insight. But so far everything has been great... just as you've experienced. :)

Registered
I think this has to do with the Insight only being fully redesigned by name and interior/exterior design only. The 3rd gen Insight is using a mature 10th gen Civic platform and 3rd gen 2-motor hybrid system (no turbo). The only thing truly new is the infotainment software/hardware and instrument cluster taken from the 10th gen Accord. Most of us probably experienced the infotainment screen reboot by itself but it seems a lot more stable than the other infotainment screens on Honda's other vehicle models where they're currently being sued.

To answer your question, it's normal. We don't have a mega-thread pertaining to one issue here, the long term testing from major publications aren't reporting any problems so far, the high mileage drivers aren't reporting problems, no manufacture investigations/TSBs from NHTSA database, and no recalls.

We do see reports of problems here but limited to a few vehicles and within a reasonable defect rate for a mass produced vehicle. Some of them are due to dealership neglect like allowing the 12v AGM battery to fully discharge which shortens the life of the battery.

For me, my Insight had brake squeak/groaning when coming to a stop, a weird rattle after resurfacing the rotors to fix the brake squeak/groaning, and the fuel door gap. All were fixed by the dealership recently and I have no complaints.
Just want to clarify, there is a recall, over infotainment software. Has to do with the backup camera not always showing up when reverse is engaged. It's literally a software update.

Also perfect is a perception, I'd argue that our Insight has been perfect (even with two software freak-outs, and a phone call that hung and disabled a bunch of infotainment stuff). It has only been at the dealership 3 times, (2 of which were because I was adamant in documenting the software freak-outs), the third, an oil change.

My last new car purchase was in my hands for 12 hours before being dropped off at the dealership service department, and needed actual work (no heat, alignment, delivery fuses to be actually installed), parts had to be ordered and I wouldn't have gotten it back for 5 days. (There is a much longer story, but I won't thread jack).

Super Moderator
Just want to clarify, there is a recall, over infotainment software. Has to do with the backup camera not always showing up when reverse is engaged. It's literally a software update.
Yeah, I remember that one. It only affected those that bought before 10/2018. Everyone that bought an Insight after that either got the fix from the dealership or factory before delivery.

Super Moderator
Technically, 2 recalls total so far, both reported by Honda in September 2018... though the first one was small (only affected 19 Insights):

- NHTSA Campaign #18V629000 - Rearview Image Display Failure - 6255 Insights affected - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/562-2019-honda-insight-recalls/348-rear-camera-software-recall-3.html#post32096

- NHTSA Campaign #18V664000 - SRS May Become Disabled - 19 Insights affected - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/562-2019-honda-insight-recalls/488-another-recall-srs-module-but-only-few-cars.html#post32098

Registered
Bought my 2019 WOP LX in
July, and though I only have about 2700 miles on it, not one problem to report.
(I know it's the superiority of the WOP finish)!!!

Registered
Almost 38,000 miles (37,840) and not a single problem. Most of the time it sits in our carport. My wife and I walk to work. Use it around town just for shopping trips, church, outings to restaurants, etc. However, we take two very long trips each year, one in summer and one in mid-winter. Both trips are easily over 7,000 miles, one time 8,400 miles (with our previous Honda, 2015 Fit Sport). Several of the states we travel through have posted 80 mph speed limits (Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Utah, etc.) so we are often driving 83-85 mph when roads are clear and traffic is light which is usually the case out west. MPG is pretty low in such a case, about 34-36 mpg. But the comfort, the ride, the safety, the style, the tech, the reliability, etc. are all wonderful features of the Insight. Wouldn't trade it for anything (yet). Perhaps in 3-4 years when the Tesla model Y has a range of 450 (and it's not that far away now), then I'll switch. But for now, the Insight is the car we love.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts