Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

Happy owner of a new 2020MY Insight EX. The thread title is slightly incorrect as I actually leased a new car once. Other than that, I've always bought used. To be honest, it was somewhat of a hard pill to swallow since I'm weary of big purchases, and many of the cars I've had came from auctions for dirt cheap prices.

So I've been getting tired of my 2003 Subaru WRX for a variety of reasons and started nerding out over some hybrid tech - specifically the system employed on the standard Toyota and Ford hyrbid products (nearly identical). Perhaps it's a bit unusual, but I wasn't primarily interested in fuel economy (but it is a wonderful thing!), rather I consider those powertrains mechanically simple (though technically sophisticated) which can equate to high reliability. That's probably the most important to me as long as everything else isn't abysmal. That said, I couldn't exactly see myself in a Prius and I wasn't super comfortable with the idea of getting a Ford C-Max hybrid. It was by accident that I recently came across the two motor hybrid system on the Accord which then led me to the 3rd gen Insight. Having watched a transaxle teardown on the WeberAuto youtube channel, I was impressed with the tech, and found the use of a single clutch pack to still be considered very mechanically simple. I was sold on the powertrain. But what about the rest of the car?

Well, right off the bat, I think the 3rd gen insight is visually attractive inside and out. In fact, I think it's quite a bit better in those two regards than both the Civic and the Accord. Actually, I like it more than the majority of sedans out there. I know that's subjective, but since I'm the one buying the car, I'm happy that's the case. This is something I can gladly see myself in and don't need to put a paper bag over my head as would be the case with a Prius (sorry Prius owners out there). Ok, so I really like the powertrain AND looks. That should be enough! But there's more!

I almost opted for the LX because I'm cheap, but when I realized it doesn't have all the standard features I thought it did (typical internet misinformation), and that I could get an EX for $1000 more, I figured it was a no brainer. Remote start and keyless entry were what I really wanted, so the improved infotainment system with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay and better audio were the cherry on top. What I had decided I wanted in a car besides a hybrid powertrain I liked was many of the nice features that are part of Honda Sensing. LKA will be great on long road trips as well as the auto cruise control down to 0mph. These are truly handy features IMO, and in fact, I find that the car has minimal gimmicks. It's a honest car with no pretentions.

Honestly, I consider the Insight to be the perfect car for me.... Almost. If I had my way, Honda would have used the powertrain from the Accord hybrid. Fuel economy would have taken a slight hit (just like it did for all you Touring owners out there), but the added power would have certainly been welcome! It would have left pretty much every non-supercar hybrid in the dust. Now I mainly say that because many of the cars I've owned were sports cars, so acceleration prowess is always nice to have in my book, but I've also had my share of slow turds. The Insight sits somewhere in between, and is still a great car.

I could hardly be more pleased with this car!
BTW, price was $22,700 minus taxes etc. in the Denver area.

·
Administrator
4,711 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new car! Thanks for sharing perspective on purchase evaluation, seems very well-researched. How long have you owned your Insight?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new car! Thanks for sharing perspective on purchase evaluation, seems very well-researched. How long have you owned your Insight?
Thanks for the welcome, insightfully. It was somewhat well researched. To be honest, it's the first car I've been truly excited about in a long time! Quite a feat for what amounts to a a mere modest hybrid sedan! I finalized the deal last Thursday, and just picked it up today, so it's brand spankin' new to me. I checked for any outstanding recalls (read some stuff about DC-DC converter and related systems issues) but found none, so that was nice. Here's to hoping for years of trouble-free driving!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Glad you're so excited about it. What dealer did you get it from? (I got my 2019 LX from Mile High Honda).
Now I'm on the west slope and will be taking it to a new dealer for me.
PS
When I lived in the Denver area I took mine to Planet Honda on W. Colfax. They were always honest with me--didn't charge me for things I didn't need, etc. . . and only once did I have a problem--they forgot to put the transmission dipstick back on my 2010 Element. . . but they remedied that fast.
Good luck with your new Insight!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, stevew.

I bought mine from Schomp Honda. They had the lowest price that I found (online at least). I probably won't ever take my car there for service because I'm expecting to move back to Kansas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts